Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 121

Author Topic: RTD horrors  (Read 227533 times)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Re: RTD horrors - game 3 running, waitlist open
« Reply #675 on: May 01, 2015, 03:11:37 pm »

Yeah, I wouldn't actually let you use that in a game because the power to absorb other horrors and gain their power is OP (the only reason I made GOEAR able to gain power at all is because he does it by wrecking your armies, which are arguably much more useful than a giant, carnivorous mound of flesh).

Also you have no points in power or presence yet have a lot of abilities that would require them (in practice I would just say "you do a thing but it has no effect" because you don't have any stat points to support the action)

also, there's a big dissonance between what you say you are (hideous and detestable) and what your stats say (you could woo the world yourself if you wanted). In practice I would handwave this by saying something like "they see the inner you" or "you hypnotize them with your unwavering gaze" but it's still a thing to keep in mind (unless stat dissonance is exactly what you were going for). Feel free to mull over more horror ideas though, even if you don't use any of them it's fun to come up with them (I know, I've made several already as sub horrors).

Also, sorry about the delays guys, but it's the middle of finals and I'm a bit busy. I'll update this weekend with more horror-y "goodness".

yeah i decided to make the detestable horrible repulsive thing i could imagine (which is why the powers were like that) and give it
a five in appeal and when it absorbs other horrors it only adds it's strength and power stats i should change it to strength or power.

p.s. do you think i wrote that well?
Neither, because you still can't use it. From the wording it sounded like you meant the stats as well as their abilities, which is far too much, especially given that you have two horrors worth of abilities already just from your character sheet.

I still wouldn't let you bolster your stats like that though, 5 points is the upper limit, even with special abilities (if you really wanted to you could lose appeal when you gain other stats, but that would still max out at 5 total). But having tons of stats and abilities doesn't mean you will win the game, TROG is dead and you've lost everything and you two were both pushing the limits on abilities. You could hypothetically win with 0 stat points if you wanted, just recruit and manage your cultists well enough that you purge all the horrors before they can get summoned or kill them with armies of armed trained cultists...

Evonix

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring lovecraft antagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: May 02, 2015, 01:18:23 pm »

Can you post some turns?
Has descended into madness

Evonix

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring lovecraft antagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: May 02, 2015, 02:02:55 pm »

Yay
Has descended into madness

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: May 02, 2015, 03:22:26 pm »

Wait, was that supposed to be a bad thing?
Cultists: Recruit! My luck can't be any worse... can it?
Mummies: Replace the guys that died in the inquisitor invasion!
Assassins 25: Collect metal powder and turn it into the required paint!
Rest of em: If we have metal powder paint, Go drag TROG's body to the Tavern Wench Rosabel and do the ritual! If not, go get it!

Since alcohol is a non-ancient invention, and that Tavern Wench is insane Rosabel is peace loving, and Trog wants the destruction of humanity, this should make it so we easily dispatch another crazy horror fairly easily!

Of course this could also go horribly wrong and I apologize in advance for the death Tavern Trog potentially does unto on the world.

((I meant alcohol wasn't an invention during the prehistoric times, when cavemen ruled the earth.

Trog's goal IS different from mine, y'know. But I will change my action anyway, so whatever.))
((Trog's dead so he wouldn't be able to voice an opinion (the ritual can't bring the dead back to life I'm afraid, just give the living their powers) and Rosabel hasn't been summoned, but Unescargot + Rabe would probably be hilarious, or you could combine yourself with Trog for time distortion... Or try to combine KONG with literally anyone, since he is so disagreeable... Also before anyone calls me on it, I'm aware that "cavemen" aren't actually "ancestors" of humans, but I'm letting it slide for the sake of the game))
You decide to take a break this turn, you've been working hard and your cultists can probably handle this turn themselves... right?
recruit: [6] they get some people to join you and your mummies stand around groaning and not contributing in any way. Some people get freaked out and decide you must be the bad guy because of those shambling corpses following you around. (+50 cultists, +50 inquisitors)
paint making: [4] They find enough metal to make the paint but don't have time to grind it into powder this turn (metal acquired)
BRING OUT YER DEAD: [2] They get scared and run back when they see KONG.

Inquisitors: arm yourselves
[6] They find a large dam located uphill from your base. Some of the inquisitors get angry at the long trek and leave (inquisitors have a dam, -50 inquisitors)

50 Cultists: Use the guns to finish off gort.
Lightly armed cultists: Guard and get better gear.
100 Cultists: Repair the smeltery and make some more guns.
50 Cultists: Repair anthaju's (The pyramid person if I spelled it wrong) base.
1 Cultist: Gently blow in Puff-puff's general direction (-1 FTW).
40 Recognisable cultists and 50 others: Fix PR and say it's all thunder and lightning guy's fault.
100 Cultists and me: Study orb's properties to find a cheap way to travel through the same dimension and/or a way to make more.
9 Cultists: Do sudoku.
Rest of them and the 10 cultists in high places: Use connections to get nuke then build somthing to launch it at the cloud guy(AND FIRE IT).

FINISH HIM: [6] You don't have any guns, but they charge in and beat him down. The dust and sand sprays everywhere and his mummies are... well, not interested in the slightest actually... The cultists get aged by his aura. (GORT is dead, 50 cultists now old)
guard: [1] They laze about instead of guarding and some of them decide they're sick of your uppity attitude. A kitten deciding what they do all day? Screw that! (-20 lightly armed cultists)
repair smeltery: [2] They feel nervous about using a welding torch to fix the smelter, wouldn't want to leave a seam where the molten metal would pour out. They leave it be for now.
Doing anthaju a favor: [4] They scurry over and plaster up the holes in Anthaju's pyramid. (Anthaju's Pyramid fixed)
Fuck off, Puff puff!: [6] He runs over to Puff puff and blows on him. Puff puff scatters into dust, he'll recover but he won't be doing much for the turn. Also, your cultist got covered in dust and carried it back into your base. It gets on the sudoku guys. (10 cultists hallucinating, Puff puff dissipated)
Blame it on Unescargot: [3] They get on their youtube accounts and blame all the bad things you did on Unescargot. Some people believe you, but most don't. Of course, the fact that nobody knew about the bad things you did makes the change seem pretty lateral. (mixed PR)
Study: [1] They study the orb and accidentally set off the lightning trap. All you find is a pile of ashes when you check on them. (-100 cultists)
PUZZLES!: [4] They complete a bunch of the puzzles. It doesn't change much. (Several sudokus finished)
Acquire nuke (no fire, there's no time for that with this many people): [2] They can't get the papers done to get access to a nuke. Jeez, at this rate it would be easier just to steal the damn thing...

Inquisitors: smash the smeltery
[2] That base looks a bit solid, better hold back until someone else breaks through...

Turn 12 actions:
Koshu: telepathicly compel Puff-Puff to spread dust throughout Unescargot's base.
cultists: wash away the dust. If that does not take too long, recruit.

Koshu: [irrelevant] He's been dissipated, he's not taking orders right now.
washy washy dust: [3] Some of them get the dust off themselves, but others resist because they think the water is magma (half of cultists no longer hallucinating)

Inquisitors: Ruin the spaceship components
[4] They attack the outer wall of your defenses. their numbers and weapons manage to break a hole, but your cultists drive them off before they get to your stuff (defenses breached)

ME USE MY TOTALLY EXISTANT ELDRITH POWERS TO ELIMNATE THE TROGDOR THREAT TO MY BANANANBNNSNanSNANNASNsNSNSNAsnsnNSAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
goers: use your relatively stable mental state to console DF carp that trog won't steal your BANANASNNNANSNnSBNBSNanasdbABSNAbsnasbnasnasnasnSNABsanbsnsnAnSNBSNBAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ANyTHAInINg i HAvE THe SLIIIIghtEEstttt COnTRorRL OVOer: PPLEEEead TROG to TURN DF CarP bAck TO A SAne plAAin OOOOLd CArP

(( i don't care if trog is dead or not i've kind of lost track of that))
Kill TROG: [irrelevant] Trog is already dead, but you are so insane you forget that you don't have powers and try to turn him into carp. It doesn't work, but you now see his corpse as a mass of carp. (thinks TROG is carp)
console: [5] GOEAR whispers in eldritch tongue that TROG is no longer a threat. Oddly soothing for a voice that literally sounds like 300 people screaming as they die. It calms you down a bit. One might even say you've regained control of your mind. GOEAR is still bleeding out.  (GOEAR dies at the end of the turn, DF CARP calmed down)
Beg for help: [irrelevant] Your nothing tries to get the pile of carp to turn you back. It doesn't work.

Journalist hirelings: write awesome articles about how I plan to fix the drought in California and Texas!
Me: Bombard Koshu's cult with lightning.
Puff Puff: Fill Rabe's cult with magic powders!
8 politician cultists: Fix my PR!
5 wealthy cultists: Hire good engineers, archetects, and construction workers to build a new fortress, still deadly!
other 5 wealthy cultists: Hire legendary scholars to follow up on the power swap ritual!
70 cultists: Recruit generics for my cult!
50 cultists: There's nothing to guard really... be trained!
3 veterans: Train the 50 cultists in combat!
50 cultists: Help build my fortress!
Anyone I may have forgotten: Recruit more generics for my cult!

PR: [5] They write rave comments and spread the word about how awesome you are. You go from hated to merely "misunderstood". Suckers. (moderately bad PR)
LIGHTNING PARTY: [3] You blast Some of Koshu's cultists with lightning. Turns out the lightning doesn't arc quite like you thought it would. (Koshu loses 50 cultists)
Puff puff: [irrelevant] He's unable to recieve orders at this time, please call back after the beep *beep*
Hire things: [6] They get a bunch of people to work for you. The workers build a base with spikes everywhere and read through that book, finding you some amazing information about how you can switch abilities with someone else, at the cost of some of your cultists' lives. You quickly discover that the people you hired aren't trustworthy when your wealthy cultists lose all their money. The workers are gone too. (cultists no longer wealthy, base with malevolent architecture built, power swap ritual researched)
recruit: [5] They spread the word of your power and get many to join you. (+140 cultists)
train: [4] The veterans work double time to get these scrubs into shape. They get the cultists a bit better trained than before. (50 cultists trained)
((There's nobody else))

Inquisitor hirelings: demolish this base!
[3] The demolishers approach the fortress and tear a hole in the wall, but have to leave when the cultists chase them away. (fortress damaged)
High places inquisitors: recruit
[6] They recruit a bunch of people to help them, but there is a backlash that brings more cultists as well. (+50 inquisitors, +50 cultists)
Wealthy guys: hire scholars to research you
[1] They hire some people to help, but they take all their money and don't help. (wealthy inquisitors no longer wealthy)
Other guys: destroy the book
[1] They try to creep in to destroy the book but the fortress' reckless design ends up making several of them get gored on spikes. (-50 inquisitors)

((I think that's all of the ones that have been posted...))

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
  • I lie, but I tell the truth too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: May 02, 2015, 06:44:53 pm »

Recruit more people.
60 cultists: Find a base.
60 cultists: Find dragon blood.
You forgot my action.
Ain't nobody got time for that.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: May 02, 2015, 08:06:08 pm »

Recruit more people.
60 cultists: Find a base.
60 cultists: Find dragon blood.
You forgot my action.
Whoops
recruit: [5] You do an excellent job of getting people to join your cause (+200 cultists)
base: [6] They find a base hanging precariously over a canyon. Moving in is surely a good idea that will have no negative repercussions (precaiously perched base found)
dragon blood hunt: [1] IT LOOKS JUST LIKE KOOL AID! MUST DRINK! (-50 cultists)

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
  • I lie, but I tell the truth too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: May 02, 2015, 09:16:37 pm »

Find dragon blood.
Cultists: Get settled in, and start putting up defences for the base.
Ain't nobody got time for that.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: May 03, 2015, 12:47:34 am »

Recruit.
100 Cultists find but don't drink dragon blood.
The rest continue negotiations with Inquisitors.
thincake

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: May 03, 2015, 07:15:24 am »

((The rolls this turn were favorable... for me!))
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: May 03, 2015, 10:38:49 am »

Welp, If it seems as though betrayal is the best option, I shall take betrayal.

Me: Recruit again! This time I shall ask help from the archeologists once more!
Mummies: Guard the base. I meant guard the base. last turn.
50 Assassins: Poison the water supply of the inquisitors! That really is a useful tactic!
25 cultists and 25 assassins: Make the metal powder!
Rest of em: Make the unactivated ritual near Unescargot's base, And use some of the money we have to acquire a large helping of fish and milk, to lure Rabe next to the ritual, shoo away any other kittens that come near. When Unescargot gets near, Activate the ritual!
If we do not have metal powder by this point though, make it.

Convoluted plans make me feel better about my siblings' death.
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: May 03, 2015, 11:41:32 am »

Recruit.
100 Cultists find but don't drink dragon blood.
The rest continue negotiations with Inquisitors.

Recruit: [4] You get more people to join your army, they seem competent enough. Which doesn't actually say much when your standard for "competent" doesn't even mean "won't knowingly drink poison". (+100 cultists)
Dragon blood: [5] They find enough dragon blood for the ritual, and have enough left over to use as poison (gained dragon blood, 50 cultists now assassins)
Negotiate: [3] They manage to get some of the inquisitors to lay down there arms and leave, but it's not as good as they were trying for... (-60 inquisitors)

Inquisitors: Destroy Orb of Stalwart 2
[4] They set a grenade next to the orb and it explodes into grainy pieces. A dozen voices from beyond the rift scream in fury (Orb of Stalwart 2 destroyed).

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: May 03, 2015, 11:42:30 am »

YOU FOOLS!
YOU'VE DOOMED YOUR PLANET AND YOU ALONGSIDE IT!
thincake

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: May 03, 2015, 11:48:47 am »

"Keepin' yer filthy hide out is  savin' the world!"

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile