Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 827964 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #4785 on: August 19, 2017, 01:59:52 pm »

Yea Kevin did do something that at least shows he still has a tiny amount of respectfulness left in him. 

When he got into an argument with people in a mod thread over why something will not be mainlined, instead of straight up deleting the posts (which he could have easily done, and likely would not have gotten much flak for) he just moved the discussion to another thread.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our devs fight each other!
« Reply #4786 on: August 19, 2017, 09:04:20 pm »

Wow, the 'drama' is real, huh? Kevin's clearly been... like this... for quite a while, seemingly going against what the community wants for the sake of his ego. Oh well, DDA is his project, but I think the time for a fork is due.  Essentially, Kevin's vision involves 'realism' over what some might consider 'fun' or 'balance', which obviously does appeal to some gamers.  But it seems clear enough that a lot (maybe even most) players would prefer fun and balance over 'realism', so maybe it's time for the "Cataclysm: Less Tedium Ahead" branch.
What did I miss? Kevin's attitude to criticism at times really drove me off of the forum. I saw well thought out criticism dismissed with what was basically a "heh just make a mod kiddo"

I really hope that it turns into a full fork or split, because Kevin has basically decided that the code that Whales intended for all the community to modify is his private property where he gets the final say in all matters.
Project organization things:
We should vote on this: Nope
The project isn't a democracy, no number of "me too"s or votes is going to change something we've decided on.

The method for users to influence development is via debate. This is intentional, not due to laziness.
Debate sidesteps all the nasty problems around deciding who gets to vote and enforcing that everyone gets the right amount of voting power etc. and validates that people actually know what they're asking for.

A good reason to make a change has more impact than any number of votes.  A lot of the issues in this thread are good examples of this

The project is run by me ("owns" the project, final say on features)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 09:10:23 pm by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4787 on: August 20, 2017, 02:11:21 pm »

I mean, something to be said about one vision making a project run better.

Except when that "one vision" is a seemingly jerkwad who doesn't *actually* take into consideration others views, just paying lip service, and either doesn't understand simple explanations or pretends to not so he doesn't need to approve it.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #4788 on: August 20, 2017, 04:20:00 pm »

Kevin's just a straight up dick. Do we need to say much else?

It isn't his project. If he wants to own it, he should file a copyright, or privatise the code, or do something. Otherwise, he's just on a massive power trip. Until he does something other than bitch and moan at people throwing their own skittles into the pile, it's a pointless conversation either way.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4789 on: August 20, 2017, 04:47:19 pm »

Until others do something, its a pointless conversation.

lol
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4790 on: August 20, 2017, 05:21:41 pm »

Not like I can do anything. I can't code worth shit, so... :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #4791 on: August 20, 2017, 05:33:34 pm »

I contributed a bit to the project... years ago now, and remember Kevin being a bit of a hardass about pull requests, but I never thought it was like this. I do remember a Google Doc being drafted by the forum to sort of lay down the canon tone and gameplay philosophy. Was it just sort of disregarded, or did it get the game into this state to begin with?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #4792 on: August 20, 2017, 05:36:07 pm »

Well, project manager doesn't have to be able to code, per se.
They would need to have a familiarity with the nature of the code, and it's overall structure, and they would need people they could trust that can deal with the code itself.

They would just manage the actual requests and overall flow of the project as a whole, rather than the code the requests are contributing.
It's not likely to be a feasible situation due to the gratis nature of Cataclysm, but it's a possible one, assuming project control is passed, or a fork becomes self-sustaining.

That's actually something I would be somewhat comfortable taking on, if I knew the community better and were more of a people person.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4793 on: August 20, 2017, 05:36:47 pm »

Its on the forum and there are various hints ingame, but largely the lore is diluted (as it should be) by the devastation of the apocalypse.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: August 20, 2017, 06:58:33 pm »

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: August 20, 2017, 08:15:10 pm »

dont forget pest control now requires copious amounts of explosives

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4796 on: August 20, 2017, 10:59:48 pm »

Arcana and Cata++ also add some amusing side-stories of sorts to the lore. :V

And...yeah, if we could organize a fork, I'd be all over that if others are accepting of it. Well, maybe. Honestly I'm not 100% sure I'd want to contribute again.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4797 on: August 21, 2017, 02:55:41 am »

If this were to happen, it would probably be a good idea to keep multiple people in charge of the project. Even if someone leaves, someone else should be able to move up to take their position and keep what basically happened to leave Kevin as the only one with any authority from happening again.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #4798 on: August 21, 2017, 04:27:22 am »

TL;DR: World goes to shit, then it gets diarrhea, then it contracts full blown dysentery and dies fording a river. You are the surviving intestinal bacteria. Now build a tank-car-house and die fording a river too.

If this were to happen, it would probably be a good idea to keep multiple people in charge of the project. Even if someone leaves, someone else should be able to move up to take their position and keep what basically happened to leave Kevin as the only one with any authority from happening again.

I totally agree. That said, I can't help but make the parallel of deposing a dictator and rebuilding the government from the ground up with power checks in place to stop anyone else monopolizing power. It's very American Civil War-ish.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4799 on: August 21, 2017, 12:00:18 pm »

Kevin's just a straight up .... Do we need to say much else?

It isn't his project. If he wants to own it, he should file a copyright, or privatise the code, or do something. Otherwise, he's just on a massive power trip. Until he does something other than bitch and moan at people throwing their own skittles into the pile, it's a pointless conversation either way.

To be fair to Kevin, he has not in any way made it unavailable, and anyone at anytime is free to copy the entire project to a new fork and do what they want, so it's not like he's taken ownership of Cata, just Cata DDA, which as I understand is his fork (as in, he started it).
I understand being irritated at his behavior, but it's not as if he just swooped out of the blue and stole the project from someone. 

It would be best either way to try to keep things civil, even if there are two diverging codebases at some point it would be nice to have  friendly enough relations to share good ideas back and forth.  And It would probably help Kevin out as well, since the people most dissatisfied with the way he's running the project could then leave, taking their ideas to the new fork where they'll be more accepted (or not).  And then the people who stay behind are choosing to continue working with him, so I'd think that would make things less stressful for him as well.

Keep in mind, Kevin hasn't charged anyone a cent, nor has he gained any actual assets from this project.  He's doing this for his own reasons, so he's certainly got the right to tell people to go fork themselves, so to speak :P.  As much fun as internet drama may be, let's not be too hard on the guy, he hasn't stolen from anyone.  We could all make a fork right now and call it Cataclysm: No Kevins Club if we felt like it.  And if we did, we'd have the benefit of all the work Kevin has done (and of course everyone else who's contributed!) 

Just the small discussions I've seen about how to manage such a fork, how to control who has power, and all that seems to illustrate some of the more thankless aspects Kevin's taken on himself. 
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 451