Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 825860 times)

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #2100 on: August 30, 2015, 10:51:50 am »

Not much that can be (easily) done about the simultaneous tile access, but would it be hard to have every character start at the current simulated time?
That would still allow time gaps between players that joined early and left for awhile, vs a player that joins later but plays regularly.
Kind of a hack though, not a real solution.

Hmm, maybe separating the turns and game time would be workable on multiplayer games. Turns are locally affecting, while gametime would be a global and constant speed. That would definitely alleviate temporal anomalies, but then you have it become either much easier or much harder, depending on when you join a world.
Those that start early would still have a lot of pre-cata food to subside on for a week or so. Those that start late would pretty much depend on finding an older player's farm for a reliable food source.
I guess a solution like this might call for more detailed balancing for rottables, since there's not many cases where a player is going to be moving exactly 1 move every 6s.

Well, rambled enough, and as usual, have not come to a definitive solution to the problem I'm trying to address. :-\

Anyways, feel free to take some of these ideas if the approach seems worth looking into.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: August 30, 2015, 01:51:48 pm »

They all do start at the same time, but the times diverge as one character plays more than the other.  But then, they both access the same tile - it's year 5 for player 1, and day 1 for player 2, the items that were generated/crafted by player 1 are 5 years in the future to player 1, the items generated/crafted by player 2 are 5 years old for player 1, so "insta-rotten".  And no matter how you try to sync them up, they will play at different rates so it will just happen again later.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: August 30, 2015, 04:44:29 pm »

Hmm, maybe separating the turns and game time would be workable on multiplayer games. Turns are locally affecting, while gametime would be a global and constant speed. That would definitely alleviate temporal anomalies, but then you have it become either much easier or much harder, depending on when you join a world.
So it would be like your character was in stasis between play sessions with time still passing? If so your own food could rot while not online, and sleeping or any time skipping would be tricky (consensual night skipping like in Minecraft) if not impossible (crafting for one).
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: August 30, 2015, 05:01:36 pm »

So it would be like your character was in stasis between play sessions with time still passing? If so your own food could rot while not online, and sleeping or any time skipping would be tricky (consensual night skipping like in Minecraft) if not impossible (crafting for one).
Yea, you hit on the main points.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: August 30, 2015, 05:17:38 pm »

I just realized the whole shared-world system is kinda, sorta, not really like Dark Souls?

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: August 30, 2015, 07:31:58 pm »

Spraypaint messages on the ground and you get even closer.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: September 01, 2015, 04:47:00 pm »

the spraypaint and come back thing is a nifty little gadget to have ingame

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: September 01, 2015, 05:14:43 pm »

So, how are NPCs these days? Any progress on that front?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: September 01, 2015, 05:25:47 pm »

So, how are NPCs these days? Any progress on that front?
Compared to when? :P As with anything else in this game, development on any one particular topic is comes in rather large leaps and bounds. Soemthing might sit still for months, then suddenly have a huge amount of development forwards when a developer or two decides to focus on it. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: September 01, 2015, 05:40:25 pm »

NPCs are quite a bit more interactive and varied and behave better compared to say 12 or 6 months ago.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: September 01, 2015, 05:41:42 pm »

Whats the current state of them? Are they forming real factions yet or is it all still one-building clusters at best?

Indeed, I do this.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: September 01, 2015, 06:46:16 pm »

No full factions yet, but a lot of the background framework that that needs is shared by Hordes 2.0, which has been making some steps forwards.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2112 on: September 01, 2015, 08:05:27 pm »

Whats the current state of them? Are they forming real factions yet or is it all still one-building clusters at best?
Love how this gets asked every other week.  ::)

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: September 01, 2015, 09:43:05 pm »

The team lost acidia, he was the guy working on the faction outpost stuff, so check back when you see him active on the DDA forums.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: September 02, 2015, 05:48:57 am »

The team lost acidia, he was the guy working on the faction outpost stuff, so check back when you see him active on the DDA forums.
So check back every other week because Bay12 is the one true forum and I'm not a dirty heretic? :P

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 451