Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 825800 times)

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #2130 on: September 08, 2015, 12:03:48 pm »

Are you playing the sheltered survivor start? That starts in winter and the game now accounts for the time that passed since spring so that you get more evolved zombies from the start and perishable food is rotten.

In my experience, at least.

Nope. I played a version a few weeks back and there was pretty much every kind of special infected at the edges of town. Given that I was walking around chugging milk, I also wasn't playing sheltered survivor.

Makes going into town further than a house or two during the day impossible unless your character is a combat god.

xxseuzxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: September 08, 2015, 08:27:50 pm »

I'm playing an experimental from a week ago and this is the only character that has survived beyond 1 week,so far I'm cleaning the huge city with an awl pike and it seems that combined with a modded shortbow and a trusty lemat,only used when predators get close I'm doing rather well.
Also between my leather armor and barbutte helmet, combined with a fitted kevlar vest I'm giving a shit.
Only feral predators scare me,and hulks are Molotov magnets.
By this moment I'm salvaging an atomic tank while looking for a vehicle to pimp out.
Mobile phones truly are dreadful when writing.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: September 08, 2015, 09:35:47 pm »

I only seem to last more then a week on the games where I get a cold and have to spend a few days just sewing and wishing I was able to do anything. That's probably something important.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: September 08, 2015, 09:42:15 pm »

Yeah it's pretty brutal now, open the door day 1 and there's a dozen Z's on the street including dogs, acid spitters, and freakin Shocker Brutes.   Close the door, go out the other side, 3 tough zombies 2 tiles away from each other ready to swarm, grabbers and feral predators.   Next game (came quickly), open the garage door to the house I start in, zombie necromancer and 4 assorted minions.

Biggest tip - remember you can run.  You can out run most of the things if you can avoid being grabbed (like a death sentence now), except animals and zombie dogs, those things are still like terminator rockets to the Day 1 survivor.  Grab a few things, run out of town, grind up fabrication and tailoring to fit and reinforce your armor and make a decent first weapon (cudgel while you work on  knife spear).  Come back at night, pick off a few stray z's, loot a few houses on the edge for food and materials, retreat when it starts to get hairy.  *** Remember you can run ***.

blazing glory

« Reply #2134 on: September 08, 2015, 10:08:47 pm »

I'm from the days before running was invented. How do I update my legs?
  "  <--- I think, I might've binded it to that, don't quite remember.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: September 08, 2015, 10:25:00 pm »

Nope, thats the default.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: September 09, 2015, 10:28:44 am »

Anyone got any good font recommendations for a laptop? I'm trying to find one that looks good enlarged on a 1920x1080 display, since the default font hurts my eyes at the default size and looks a little odd scaled up.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 03:37:48 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2137 on: September 09, 2015, 02:45:55 pm »

x180? I think you meant x1080. (i.e. 1080p)
If so, then any 8x16/8 will be pixel perfect if fullscreen. (Of course, the borders on a window screw with the pixels viewed.)
For me, I'm usually more interested in making sure the dimensions factor perfectly. But I also usually play DF in ASCII... YMMV :P

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: September 09, 2015, 03:39:06 pm »

Bah, yeah, 1080. I have one that works fine, I'm just looking for a font that actually looks good as well.

I also do ASCII for DF, but that has much better fullscreen/zoom scaling than Cataclysm does.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: September 10, 2015, 10:33:23 am »

Just had a super-zombie flick moment:

In a Lab Challenge, my en-Night Vision-ed Volunteer Mutant found his spawnbuddy NPC and after some dungeon-crawling action to avoid the shit out of turret rooms, fight our way to the top and get some basic escape-this-goddamn-place gear, at level -1, to my massive joyful surprise, we discover a sewage outflow is directly connected to the lab.

While on the lookout for some gear to burn through the grate safely, I stumble upon a door that turns out to lead straight to that sewer. Yay, we're out! One very long trawl through sewage and fighting sewage carp-piranhas we find a sewer access - actually the second one, the first one had ALL the zombies around it, including a shocker brute - but the second one we left at 8 PM, so it's already dark.

We evade the zombies in the darkness thanks to the awesome night-vision of my char... but then that idiot of an NPC panics and fires his bloody SHOTGUN at a zombie that got a bit too close. So I wound up leaving him behind to take the zombie-heat.

Then I died to some survivor zombies in a basement of a house, so anticlimaaaaaaax.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Haskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Iä! Shub-Niggurath!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: September 10, 2015, 12:09:00 pm »

Fortified a gas station. Been fermenting moonshine and homebrew beer for a little while in two stills. Got a flintlock carbine with ammo made outta solder and plastic bags, with a rapier as a backup weapon when things get too personal. Hopefully gonna fix up a car soon-ish, I want a quick out for upcoming raids.
Tell me, have you seen the Yellow Sign?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: September 11, 2015, 02:39:42 am »

I just did a quick play for about 3 days with a normal survivor. Two of the houses in town were fortified, with reinforced windows and traps and all. Both times I tried to use traps to help thin out some of the zeds ended up ruining the entire living area. The second house, I tried to drag a shocker hulk over the mines. It stepped directly on 4 of them then killed me at 15 yards firing through a window as I tried to escape.

Seems like the house traps are more a trap to the survivor than zombies. I won't bother trying to settle in one again.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: September 11, 2015, 04:39:23 am »

I just tend to fortify the starting shelter, stack it with supplies, read books all day and then eventually get bored and stop playing till next version. The high point is usually raiding some labs after finding keycards and stuffing my face with CBM.

That is, when I don't die horribly. Sometimes I scavenge all my old corpses and eat them, just because.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 04:46:50 am by Majestic7 »

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: September 11, 2015, 07:13:29 am »

There have been a lot of mumblings that landmines are too weak vs zombies, and istr some investigation that the on-map ones are especially bad - like zombie kids walk over multiples without damage.   Supposedly if you untrap and then re-trap them they're a lot better.

If I were gonna trap a house, I'd be adding the traps OUTSIDE anyway, I hate getting my windows busted up and any bit helps...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: September 11, 2015, 01:30:45 pm »

To cut some of that speculation off right now, any land mines placed by the map and by you are literally identical. The map doesn't even remember whether it was generated or placed, so their data code is literally identical.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 451