Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16

Author Topic: Gender stuff - Let's try this again  (Read 16229 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Gender stuff - Let's try this again
« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2015, 05:52:35 pm »

Donkey being a language joke in that ass != arse.

AlleeCat accused most of us of talking out of our arses/asses. I want to know who they think is actually being reasonable.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2015, 05:54:23 pm »

Donkey being a language joke in that ass != arse.

AlleeCat accused most of us of talking out of our arses/asses. I want to know who they think is actually being reasonable.
I know what it meant, I was just wondering how you defined it lolz.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2015, 05:57:09 pm »

Ask me whatever the hell you like, provided you've got an open mind to the answer. I'd really just like to be seen, and heard.
Right, okay - do you have a preferred pronoun? If not, I'll alternate, unless you'd prefer that I not.

Reading a different thread has actually answered this exact question, because coincidences are nothing if not coincidental. It pays to range over a wide stretch of forum, apparently!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 06:01:18 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2015, 06:02:10 pm »

I think Vector is qualified to speak about gender, having experience problems with gender identity themselves, to give an example.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2015, 06:03:43 pm »

I think Vector is qualified to speak about gender, having experience problems with gender identity themselves, to give an example.
I see.  And so nobody else is allowed to give their own personal opinion unless they have some form of difference from the mainstream?

So what about me?  I'm closer to stereotypical girl than stereotypical guy when it comes to gender roles and behavior (without the gossiping that is "stereotypical" here), and while I didn't share in my post I do get mocked for it, I'm just enough of a social pariah already it's not as bad as it could be.

What you're basically saying is that anyone who isn't within the realm of different isn't allowed to speak.  That's like saying men aren't allowed to be feminists or the the Christian majority isn't allowed to talk about their faith in religious discussion threads.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 06:06:12 pm by 4maskwolf »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2015, 06:08:17 pm »

Will everyone kindly stop misreading what AlleeCat is saying. This is fucking embarrassing to watch.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2015, 06:10:06 pm »

Will everyone kindly stop misreading what AlleeCat is saying. This is fucking embarrassing to watch.
I know what the essence of what she's saying is, I'm pushing her because it isn't a dialog if the people who aren't the minority can't talk about thier views.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2015, 06:10:55 pm »

Quote from: Th4DwArfY1 ūlink=topic=149065.msg6089840#msg6089840 date=1425934936
Yes, because when I say almost everyone, I just mean everyone. Good job with that.
Or, more to the point, it doesn't apply to you or anyone who agrees with you fully.

As for "you must have experience in order to speak of something"it is utterly preposterous. If you haven't had an abortion you aren't allowed to speak of it? Experience does not lead to sole right to speech. You can't exclude people merely because you don't think them qualified to speak to you. I'm not a politician,  so I can't speak of politics?
It might help if you explained it to the peasants.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2015, 06:13:59 pm »

Can you please explain to me why you decided that I am trying to talk down to you?

E: somehow broke the quote and can't fix it.
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2015, 06:15:38 pm »

Alright everyone, cool your jets.

Remember, peaceful discussion.  That means everyone, including me.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2015, 06:21:25 pm »

I know what the essence of what she's saying is, I'm pushing her because it isn't a dialog if the people who aren't the minority can't talk about thier views.
This hasn't been a dialog. This has been a bunch of people saying what their opinion on what genders are. There's been a lot of people trying to erase the existence of anyone who isn't the majority, and some have been trying to present their own views as science. AlleeCat, as one in the minority, is really frustrated that there are so many voices so quick to say that she shouldn't exist, that she doesn't exist. I don't really blame her. And then when she voices her opinion, she's given a tone argument for her troubles, and people push at her to make her feel uncomfortable for being angry about the fact that her whole life is being relegated to the garbage heap in so many people's minds.

So basically, have some empathy maybe?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2015, 06:29:18 pm »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:21:48 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2015, 06:36:29 pm »

Regardless of who deserves empathy, I refuse to cow tow to someone saying I'm speaking shit.

Full stop. Perhaps this makes me sound petty or insensitive, but that's just how it is. If Allee wants rational discourse, she needs must be reasonable.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 09, 2015, 06:40:55 pm »

Plain speaking and clear understanding everyone.
Let me see what it is that has caused the issue then. I haven't, actually.
I want to reiterate this. This thread is seriously the equivalent of a bunch of white people trying to talk about black oppression. (Which I'm pretty sure also happened on this very forum.) This thread just needs to stop. You can't talk about gender issues like you know everything about them if you've never experienced them. I would be open to a thread where questions can be asked of trans people, but it's clear that pretty much everyone in this thread is talking out their ass.
I can see the issue here. It does seem an awful lot like you are trying to imply that certain other people's opinion doesn't matter, or rather that they lack the grounds on which to speak. Now, speaking for most people (and please, correct me if you don't agree), people don't like when someone makes that implication, and they've made several arguments against it.
I'm pushing her because it isn't a dialog if the people who aren't the minority can't talk about thier views.
This seems to me a good argument.

This hasn't been a dialog. This has been a bunch of people saying what their opinion on what genders are. There's been a lot of people trying to erase the existence of anyone who isn't the majority, and some have been trying to present their own views as science. AlleeCat, as one in the minority, is really frustrated that there are so many voices so quick to say that she shouldn't exist, that she doesn't exist. I don't really blame her. And then when she voices her opinion, she's given a tone argument for her troubles, and people push at her to make her feel uncomfortable for being angry about the fact that her whole life is being relegated to the garbage heap in so many people's minds.
Also a good argument. One that is not irreconcilable with the previous argument.

I think Vector had a thoughtful response. I'd like to remind everyone not to say whatever they damn well please, which goes for both sides.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 09, 2015, 06:47:32 pm »

^
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16