Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19

Author Topic: The Eldritch Horror Thread!  (Read 29076 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: The Eldritch Horror Thread!
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2015, 06:37:36 am »

I always thought it wasn't a serious headcount. Depends how powerful her young are, I guess. If they could all grow as powerful in time as her that's quite dramatic.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2015, 07:17:47 am »

Her young are strong relative to a person... But not relative to a tank.

Though you are right if they all could become as strong as she is... that would be serious.

I was thinking about Yog-Slothoth and I was like "Hmm if he traveled through time" and I sort of realized... Yog cannot "Travel through time" because Yog sort of exists in all time at once.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2015, 07:46:01 am »

Shub seems to be the most puny of the outer gods mainly due to the fact she's summoned by humans rather often. In lovecraft's works her name is frequently used in spells and she's often associated to the less threatening horrors of the mythos, altough she's often associated with most horrors, be they powerful or not, anyway, be they outer gods, great old ones or just weird mosters even. Sometimes she seems more like a great old one then an actual outer god. I think she's also the only outer god thats specifically referenced to as being female, and she's often used by writers to validate the existence of some monster, as in "X thing mated with shub niggurath causing the birth of Y!" and stuff.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2015, 07:51:19 am »

Mind you she is only weak in terms of combat ability.

The fact that she seems to be able to easily sire new Old Ones makes her quite fearsome.

But yeah you are right TempAcc, she seems more like a powerful Great Old One with a single ability on par with being a Outer God... than an outer god.

But I just assume there is more to her then meets the eye.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2015, 10:28:27 am »

technically, by the grammar there, maybe it's the *forest* that has a thousand young? :p
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2015, 10:37:15 am »

technically, by the grammar there, maybe it's the *forest* that has a thousand young? :p

Well no the entire forest is her thousand young :P

Not joking mind you... her young have been compared to trees before.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:39:15 am by Neonivek »

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2015, 01:20:07 pm »

Well, there's Cthulhu Tech! You take your Cthulhus and your Grim Dark and your Neon Genesis Evangelion and you throw that all together with a dash of Gundam, and you get that. It is a very good tabletop RPG game.

Made a character with the trait "Innsmouth Sickness," knowing full well what it was. And then not telling my DM that I had it until he asked me how I was able to afford an extra three points in strength. He immediately had me roll to see if I was still mostly human, failed miserably. Turned into a Deep One three in game months later. 10/10. Would play again.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2015, 01:26:05 pm »

Well, there's Cthulhu Tech! You take your Cthulhus and your Grim Dark and your Neon Genesis Evangelion and you throw that all together with a dash of Gundam, and you get that. It is a very good tabletop RPG game.

Made a character with the trait "Innsmouth Sickness," knowing full well what it was. And then not telling my DM that I had it until he asked me how I was able to afford an extra three points in strength. He immediately had me roll to see if I was still mostly human, failed miserably. Turned into a Deep One three in game months later. 10/10. Would play again.

Someone should run either this or a Call of Cthulu game on this forum.  I know I'd join the game as soon as possible.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2015, 01:27:54 pm »

Someone should run either this or a Call of Cthulu game on this forum.  I know I'd join the game as soon as possible.

I definitely want to run a Call of Cthulu game, I even bought the next edition rule book, but the issue is mostly the game I want to run takes a LOT of work to set up.

As well I never ran it before so I doubt it would be scary.

Since the game is about you being in a sort of Ex-Boom Town and living in it as weird stuff happens and you investigate.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2015, 01:56:52 pm »

Cthulhu Tech has a lot of diversity in the settings. It all takes place during the same time period, but you can be doing different things. You could be by a coast line, investigating and dealing with Deep One raids, you could be in a city, rooting out cults for the government, you could be soldiers fighting on the front lines in the war against the Mi-Go, not letting the public know that you are losing. With the expansions, there's a lot of different ways for the setting to go depending on the playstyle.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2015, 01:58:25 pm »

Cthulhu Tech has a lot of diversity in the settings. It all takes place during the same time period, but you can be doing different things. You could be by a coast line, investigating and dealing with Deep One raids, you could be in a city, rooting out cults for the government, you could be soldiers fighting on the front lines in the war against the Mi-Go, not letting the public know that you are losing. With the expansions, there's a lot of different ways for the setting to go depending on the playstyle.

If there is one flaw it is probably how often incomprehensible it can be at times.

Especially since it is "2 kewl 4 skool" and likes to rename everything and redescribe everything until it is often impossible to tell what they are supposed to be.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2015, 02:05:06 pm »

Well the warp gods are honestly kind of puny in comparison to lovecraft's outer gods. The outer gods in lovecraft are so powerful they're either literally aspects of the universe itself or the reason for its creation (IE azathoth). The warp gods are certainly powerful but the scope of their influence and power seems limited to like, a galaxy, maybe a bit more + the fact they're actualy somewhat scared of the god emperor, which (depending on which version of the emperor's origin is canon) is just an amalgamation of ancient earth's most powerful shamans/wizards/mediums, makes them seem kinda ehhh in power level, at least in comparison to azathoth and yog sototh

They're comparable to the Great Old Ones though

Not really no. If someone does have powers to a degree, they're either A: a Deep One hybrid, which eventually converts you into an immortal fishman, B: A hybrid of something else, like that one guy in Dark Corners Of The Earth (a video game) who turned out to be part Yith, C: Nyarlathotep in disguise, or D: Randolph Carter, who was basically Lovecraft's version of a self-insert, who does fairly well on his various encounters with the eldritch but mostly survives by running away from anything remotely significant.

IIRC Abdul Alhazred and Richard Upton Pickman had powers too (even before Pickman became undead),
...and also, several characters (especially Dr.Herbert West) had worked out ways to resurrect the dead.

Also, are any of you familiar with the music of Darkest of the Hillside Thickets?

Yog-Sothoth
Ogdru Jahad
Nyarlathotep
Goin' Down to Dunwich
The Innsmouth look
Some Things Man Was Not Meant to Know

Also, what do y'all think of the major non-Lovecraft eldritch abominations (ie. The Warp Gods, the Ogdru Jahad, the SubGenius pantheon, the Scumdogs of the Universe, Zalgo, Slenderman, Gozer the Gozerian, the Elder Evils, Nihilanth of Xen, etc.)?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 02:07:06 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2015, 02:52:42 pm »

PTW.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2015, 03:29:14 pm »

Check out this funny mythos themed song:

What a Friend We Have In Cthulhu by Consortium of Genius (and featuring Ivan Stang)
(the mp3 download link is toward the top of the page)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 03:30:45 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2015, 03:47:34 pm »

Also, what do y'all think of the major non-Lovecraft eldritch abominations (ie. The Warp Gods, the Ogdru Jahad, the SubGenius pantheon, the Scumdogs of the Universe, Zalgo, Slenderman, Gozer the Gozerian, the Elder Evils, Nihilanth of Xen, etc.)?

Hit or miss, personally. I like Gozer only because I like the Ghostbusters, and it's semi-rare to hear about Sumerian-age deities.

I like the Gods of Chaos, because the interpretation of them goes quite deep both into the world of 40k and sort of the meta of being human. They're concepts as much as entities and that's fertile ground for a lot of exploration.

Most modern Elder Things though fail my biggest test....in none of them really feel unknowable. Lovecrat's Elder Gods were a name, some iconography, some half-described rites...and that's pretty much it. The reader was free to insert a lot of their own horror. NuHorror, those things are given a voice. I'd sort of liken it to how Satan is represented in the Constantine Movie. You've got the ultimate evil of the universe personified in a bald dude with tattoos and some some snarky dialog with his favorite damned soul.

I like my elder things incomprehensible, but that's kind of at odds with modern fiction/fantasy and what sells. Perhaps what made HP Lovecraft work is that his prose was so heavy, the relatively loose treatment he gives to his elder things somehow came as a relief. His stories are more about the people involved than the Elder Gods, which are the backdrop framing the story. And I think that's where many writers miss the bus in trying to recreate the magic. They mistakenly assume what made the stories work is the Elder Things themselves, and give way too many pages to telling instead of showing. What I think made the stories is work is the actual characters, prim and sort of bland as ever. But you're grounded in them, which makes all the weirdness way more effective and mysterious. Versus....well, basically Cloverfield. Where people don't want to wait for the build up and just want to go straight to Cthulhu, only find that without the build up, there's no real pay off other than seeing some thing in a monster suit stumbling around. (And yes, I realize there's a build to Cloverfield, but it's mostly done in typical Hollywood tension building shots of half a leg and a building shaking, and you get your pay off of a big stupid monster looking stupid while helicopters fire missiles at them.)

Or take for example Prometheus. What does an unfathomably ancient and advanced race look like and do? They look like a big muscle-y bald dude who waits about 5 minutes before HULK SMASH everything.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 04:06:25 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19