Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19

Author Topic: The Eldritch Horror Thread!  (Read 29069 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: The Eldritch Horror Thread!
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2015, 05:00:18 pm »

Oh right.
I'm the most loudmouthed one.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2015, 05:01:27 pm »

Cthulhu is fat, nobody cares about fat eldritch horrors, he's not fashionable like nyar.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2015, 05:08:43 pm »

If you keep the discussion to the eldritch aspects of Warhammer such as Chaos, the Hrud, the Ghoul Stars, Fantasy things like the Sleeper, etc, I'm fine with it. If it starts to get out of control there's a 40k thread that it can be detoured into.

I wonder if the Outer Gods would have a similar reaction to the Daemons in regards to the Imperium of Man, or if it would be along the lines of "Oh look, the humans are trying to act significant.  Anyway, let's get back to trading universes."
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2015, 05:15:27 pm »

Well the warp gods are honestly kind of puny in comparison to lovecraft's outer gods. The outer gods in lovecraft are so powerful they're either literally aspects of the universe itself or the reason for its creation (IE azathoth). The warp gods are certainly powerful but the scope of their influence and power seems limited to like, a galaxy, maybe a bit more + the fact they're actualy somewhat scared of the god emperor, which (depending on which version of the emperor's origin is canon) is just an amalgamation of ancient earth's most powerful shamans/wizards/mediums, makes them seem kinda ehhh in power level, at least in comparison to azathoth and yog sototh
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2015, 05:17:39 pm »

I'm curious: does the Lovecraft universe have anything like 40k's blanks or untouchables? People who are basically immune to all the crazy shit Elder Gods and whatnot are capable of doing to the average human.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2015, 05:23:09 pm »

Not really no. If someone does have powers to a degree, they're either A: a Deep One hybrid, which eventually converts you into an immortal fishman, B: A hybrid of something else, like that one guy in Dark Corners Of The Earth (a video game) who turned out to be part Yith, C: Nyarlathotep in disguise, or D: Randolph Carter, who was basically Lovecraft's version of a self-insert, who does fairly well on his various encounters with the eldritch but mostly survives by running away from anything remotely significant.
Sig! Onol

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2015, 05:27:55 pm »

Yea, and even the guy from Dark Corners of the Earth (which is just a videogame based on the mythos)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
. Even the non humans suffer from their influence. Elder things worship them, so do the Mi-Go, and Yithians are so scared of their influence that they learned to literally warp space and time to escape if anything strange came up, an ability that, arguably, they only have or learned due to their worship of Yog Sothoth.

The mythos does have sooort of an equivalent of the warp though: The dreamlands, a dimension you can only access through dreams. Apparently there are many dreamlands, and they maaaaay be formed by a species collective subcouncious, sort of like the chaos gods and the warp were formed from the feelings, minds and souls of the sentient beings in the materium.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 05:31:33 pm by TempAcc »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2015, 05:30:36 pm »

To be more specific, they survive by finding a species somewhere else in time that isn't in cataclysmic danger and mass swapping minds with them, leaving the other species' minds in their old bodies to be destroyed by whatever happened to them.
Sig! Onol

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2015, 12:05:23 am »

I'm curious: does the Lovecraft universe have anything like 40k's blanks or untouchables? People who are basically immune to all the crazy shit Elder Gods and whatnot are capable of doing to the average human.

no but my DM tells the story of the man who saw Great Cthulhu and was unimpressed.

here's the short of it:
Its end game the characters(a bunch of professors) are in Ryleh running away from Great Cthulhu after finishing a ritual to sink it. He asked the players if anyone is looking, and all but one say no, Montana Jack (an Indiana Jones expy). He decides, what the hell its a once in a life time opportunity and looks.
He rolls for SAN loss. 1.

His response: "I though he'd be bigger."

on an unrelated note, i found a good lovecraftian horror web comic called BroodHollow
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 12:07:21 am by uber pye »
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2015, 12:07:25 am »

Ain't that the game where Cthulhu eats 1d6 characters a round?
Sig! Onol

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2015, 05:08:58 am »

1d4.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2015, 05:22:33 am »

Mind you the manipulation of time and space isn't something unique to the Yith, but it is something that only the Yith have thoroughly mastered.

Elder things for example have some ability to manipulate time and know how to store things in extra dimensional spaces.

Though while there are creatures who can go through time easily (Hounds of Tindalos) that is more an innate ability then something that had to be learned or developed.

Not really no. If someone does have powers to a degree, they're either A: a Deep One hybrid, which eventually converts you into an immortal fishman, B: A hybrid of something else, like that one guy in Dark Corners Of The Earth (a video game) who turned out to be part Yith, C: Nyarlathotep in disguise, or D: Randolph Carter, who was basically Lovecraft's version of a self-insert, who does fairly well on his various encounters with the eldritch but mostly survives by running away from anything remotely significant.

Or Whately and his many children.

The thing is that... being empowered by the Great Old Ones pretty much means your gone.

---

Also I am wondering about something

Shub-Niggorath is known as the "Black Goat of the Forest with the Thousand Young"

Which some people have interpreted to mean that she has a thousand young...

But I always interpreted it to mean that she has basically a large number that could be anywhere from millions to endless droves.

What do you think?

Then again I am also someone who believes that Nyanthothep doesn't really have a "limited number of forms" the number is arbitrary.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2015, 05:30:35 am »

I took that to mean that one of her forms had a thousand young, and that's how she's most commonly known.
Sig! Onol

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2015, 05:33:35 am »

I interpret that as anytime she birthes, Azathoth kills another, keeping the number at an exact thousand at all times.

But not really.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2015, 05:45:54 am »

It is just that for such a powerful being...

A thousand "Dark Young" is kind of nothing... Certainly unstoppable for an ancient culture...

It would be like if Zues had a "Thousand Ants"

Hence why I always interpreted "Thousand Young" to just be a metaphor for what is essentially a endless legion of Dark Young.

This is ignoring that Shub... REALLY gets around when it comes to the sheer number of old ones related to her.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19