Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19

Author Topic: The Eldritch Horror Thread!  (Read 29034 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: The Eldritch Horror Thread!
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 02:59:26 pm »

I had an interesting thought come across my mind some time ago. What if certain UFOs that are hard to explain how they work or whatever (especially if they look odd, or even mundane (like flying saucers, or weird looking bricks that rotate in the sky)), were in fact portions of a larger dimensional being or craft intersecting with our dimensional plane, or something? So to put it, what if, for a brief moment, a weird spinny thing in the sky was actually the heart of a greater creature (or the engine/generator of a greater device?), but in an abstracted form, only we can observe? What it's doing in this plane, and it's purpose, I am uncertain.

Screwing around in Garry's Mod got me thinking about some of these things as well, when I was just using random stuff like containers welded to spinners, and using them like a machine component (like a Rube Goldberg device); or just seeing how far I launch something by hitting it with a heavy object hard enough (Shipping container golfing). I also had dreams where some UFOs really were parts of a larger machine, just more distributed, and interacting with one another without direct contact (non-euclidean engineering at work? Kinda like how levers in DF can interact with devices regardless of distance, just using 2 mechanisms to connect them; or fine-tuning instruments in Fract OSC.).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 03:04:28 pm by Itnetlolor »

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 03:00:07 pm »

Ptw
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 03:03:38 pm »

It is already revealed that the UFOs we see in the sky...

Are all actually Yog-Slothoth flying through the air.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 03:09:23 pm »

Oh.
I don't know how to rank them anymore anyway - I ended my yugioh streak after I got those three legendary beasts and a thing of Exodia in one card and just won the game every second move.

...How?

Question on the main topic of the thread: As you are a selfadmitted Eldrich Being, have you met any of the Lovecraftian Old Ones, Elder Gods, Outer Gods, etc.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 03:17:08 pm »

Oh.
I don't know how to rank them anymore anyway - I ended my yugioh streak after I got those three legendary beasts and a thing of Exodia in one card and just won the game every second move.

...How?

Question on the main topic of the thread: As you are a selfadmitted Eldrich Being, have you met any of the Lovecraftian Old Ones, Elder Gods, Outer Gods, etc.
Got really lucky with the decks I bought. And I bought about a billion of them.

As for the Outer Gods, well, there are some that need to be interfaced with to gain access to here, namely Yog-Sothoth and Shub-Niggurath. I've also incidentally met Nyarlathotep, The Blackness From The Stars, Darkness, which is the progenitor of Shub-Niggurath, etc. They're ... hard to describe like this, but alright in interfacing.
Except for Nyar. He's a dick.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 03:42:45 pm »

So, this thread's okay for non-Lovecraft stuff, right?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 03:44:17 pm »

Yep, just as long as it's about ineffable horrors/settings which have them, or anything relating to them (hell, even discussing Mass Effect Reapers is fine) it's good.
Sig! Onol

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 03:47:26 pm »

Should we avoid discussing Warhammer, or Warhammer 40k? I only ask because WH stuff can quite easily dominate discussions on many topics, regardless of what the original topic was, and there's a LOT of ineffable horrors going on there.

Anyway, I feel this qualifies as some form of eldritch:
This topic right now
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 04:34:04 pm »

If you keep the discussion to the eldritch aspects of Warhammer such as Chaos, the Hrud, the Ghoul Stars, Fantasy things like the Sleeper, etc, I'm fine with it. If it starts to get out of control there's a 40k thread that it can be detoured into.
Sig! Onol

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2015, 04:41:10 pm »

Anime, Redzephyr, it was anime.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2015, 04:42:27 pm »

If you keep the discussion to the eldritch aspects of Warhammer such as Chaos, the Hrud, the Ghoul Stars, Fantasy things like the Sleeper, etc, I'm fine with it. If it starts to get out of control there's a 40k thread that it can be detoured into.

It's in my sig, should you feel like it.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2015, 04:52:33 pm »

While Lovecraft stablished cosmic horror as a genre, he didn't invent eldritch abominations. The Silmarillion has Ungoliant, which is quite literally a huge super absurdly large spider that came from outside of creation (its specifically said she's not a part of arda and existed since before it was created by Illuvatar). They just say that "she came from the void" when Melkor/Morgoth lured her into Arda and conviced her to help him, and even infused her with his own power, which eventualy caused her to become so terribly powerful she posed a threat to the whole world and even to morgoth himself. The only reason she dies is because she gets so hungry she eats herself.

Interestingly enough, if you've read Paradise Lost, you might find the closest thing to Christian Eldritch Horrors. As Lucifer escapes hell and is trying to find Eden (earth) after the fall, he travels through "the dark chaos" and ends up meeting certain powerful creatures which are not a part of the world (or the creation, even), and have existed before it was created by God, these being the personifications of Night and Chaos or something. Lucifer only finds the way to earth after talking to these beings. They're never mentioned again.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2015, 04:54:36 pm »

PTW too.

I've never read anything written by Lovecraft (or anyone alike). Should I?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2015, 04:57:14 pm »

As Bay12's resident unfathomable eldritch being, it seems obvious that I make this thread.

I think Cthulhu might object to that characterization.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19