Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 66

Author Topic: D&D 5e: Adventurers of the Lost Isle OOC (Full up!)  (Read 111996 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: Adventurers of the Lost Isle OOC (Full up! Game started)
« Reply #645 on: March 16, 2015, 08:45:11 am »

Alright, I'm going to do that then.

And, KJ, I'm basically taking a class feature that will basically more then double the damage you do. So... Try to do damage.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: March 16, 2015, 08:46:48 am »

And, KJ, I'm basically taking a class feature that will basically more then double the damage you do. So... Try to do damage.

'Akira sneaks forward'
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: March 16, 2015, 09:40:08 am »

The ability to stab you in the kidneys, the ability to speak a secret language, the ability to use a wide variety of weapons and knowledge of armor use, the speed of their movement, the ability to pick locks, disarm traps, and so on, and a scattering of other skills.

Also calling all commoners thieves is classist. Wow.
Well, anyone can learn to do those things. So what your saying is the difference is experience?

Cool.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: March 16, 2015, 12:36:12 pm »

No, the difference isn't experience. A 1st level Rogue and a 1st level Commoner are at the same place in life in terms of experience, both actual and numerical. There's actually been some interesting writing on this, but here's how it breaks down:

A PC has some sort of stat distribution. 32pt buy, 28pt buy, roll 6x 4d6 drop lowest from each batch, Elite Array, &c. All of those (yes, even Elite Array!) are drastically better than the stat distribution for any non-PC class. The average commoner is just that-average. They'll average out to 10 in every ability score, with an 11 in a score as an exceptional score as outright remarkable.

Characters with PC classes are already exceptional to a certain degree, but characters with PC stat distribution are the sort of individual you might see once in a generation. An ability score of ~18 is outright inhuman; 18 INT is a preternatural genius above the level of Einstein, 18 DEX is far and away the best gymnast and acrobat you'll ever know, &c.

Having PC class levels doesn't result in a character being exceptional, a character being exceptional results in them having PC class levels. That's how the game distinguishes people who perform beyond the human norm from the people who would be, all false arrogance aside, the contemporary equivalent of you or I as compared to Hercules or Merlin. And Hercules or Merlin, barring certain bits of their myths, are relatively tame as far as DnD adventurers go.

--

Someone with class levels in "Ninja" would be a supernaturally talented spy and assassin. A historical ninja would be a Commoner with a couple extra proficiencies.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: March 16, 2015, 12:49:38 pm »

Well, that's 3.5 at least. Where all the systems for making npcs and players and monsters are all sorta the same. I don't know if 5E is still like that. It appears that monsters and npcs at least have HD. But unless I'm missing something they don't follow the unified rules on proficiency bonus that players do. I also don't see any npc classes or the like. Although presumably they would be in the DMG, which I don't have. So who knows.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: March 16, 2015, 03:21:46 pm »

I made that up from nothing.

Let's see how it works!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: March 16, 2015, 04:07:46 pm »

Also, everyones ready to go, right? Got a handle on those new abilities?

Cause you're probably gonna level after the next encounter too.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: March 16, 2015, 04:14:11 pm »

What battlemaster maneveurs did you take, cript?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: March 16, 2015, 04:19:01 pm »

No long rest = no new abilities for Samara. :V

3. Run Resize Enable

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: March 16, 2015, 04:28:08 pm »

Well, I gave everybody their additional HP for free as level-up bonus, you can take your spells too.

Resting to take advantage of your level-ups isn't very fun...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: March 16, 2015, 04:29:29 pm »

What battlemaster maneveurs did you take, cript?

>Menacing Attack
>Riposte
>Commander's Strike

Although if you want to take commander's strike I'll swap out for pushing attack (or something). It's probably not worth it for both of us to have it (Well. It might actually be worth it. But. Eh. I'm not going to get it for Tadhg just yet.)

Edit: Note on the gold by the way, if we each pay 8 gold, then someone pays two more or two people pay 1 more each, that'll cover it. That's why I offered ten, so everyone else could take eight. But If Tadhg is up for spotting the two extra, I'm fine with that as well.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: March 16, 2015, 04:43:17 pm »

Then I'll take Trip, Pushing, and Maneuvering attacks for dat battlefield control.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: March 16, 2015, 05:00:24 pm »

Well, I gave everybody their additional HP for free as level-up bonus, you can take your spells too.

Resting to take advantage of your level-ups isn't very fun...

Oh, sweet, thanks!

Obviously I can prep a maximum of six spells, and I have a total of six non-ritual non-cantrip spells, so you can guess what the deal is there.  :P

e: Also, just before we leave I want to talk to the ranger about using Light on a bunch of our stuff, whether it's a good idea. I'll let the current mind-talk thing wind down first, though.

3. Run Resize Enable

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: March 16, 2015, 05:03:01 pm »

Also, just before we leave I want to talk to the ranger about using Light on a bunch of our stuff, whether it's a good idea. I'll let the current mind-talk thing wind down first, though.

I think it wound down once the ability was awarded. In any case, she can hold multiple conversations at once...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: March 16, 2015, 06:21:42 pm »

Speaking of new abilities - I forgot if I told you in the pm, but I get a third RAAAEEEG at third level. Rage Damage stays the same, though.

It might stand to reason this 'Sunkenstew' was the basin of an ancient sewer system...which means their might still be defenders lurking about...

GODDAMN DWEMER
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 66