Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Let's Create a Setting! - Magitech & Mythic Fantasy - Write Down Lore!  (Read 12588 times)

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Based off the poll in this thread, we're going for magitech & mythic fantasy as our genre mash up for the setting.
Spoiler: Poll Breakdown (click to show/hide)
The guidelines for helping create the setting are:
  • Primarily remember the genre everyone decided on. Obviously it may vary a bit.
  • Each post should contribute a single piece of information or chunk of lore.
  • You may contribute more than a single piece of information, but the first person to reply to you gets to choose which one is canon and which are false rumours.
  • Try to keep it from being overly stupid. Glorantha's duckmen are fine, but rainbow dung dropping ponies? Not so much.
  • Please don't dominate the thread.
  • Keep in mind that I'm going to try to use this for an online roleplaying kind of dealy and so it should at least be roughly playable. Don't worry about this too much, I can clean up most stuff.
  • Most importantly, have fun.

Magitech & Mythical Fantasy!

Magitech - Magical technology. Giant flying spaceships powered by the essence of magic itself, telephones using electricity elementals, laserguns shooting crystalised aether.
Mythical Fantasy - The gods still walk the earth. Their mighty magical powers and purity of essence pervade the very air around them. Great beasts of pure magic roam the land. Very high fantasy.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 02:20:07 pm by Rex Invictus »

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Create a Setting! - Magitech & Mythic Fantasy - Write Down Lore!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 06:53:28 pm »

I'll start:

Once, the manifest-gods spread their blessings through complex arcane and divine rituals but now their power (at least in the civilised parts of the world) is spread through technology crafted by the finest arcano-engineers.

LORD GOAT THE 120524TH

• Bay Watcher
  • I only accept the finest cans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 06:57:21 pm »

The God's essences are stored in huge crystals buried deep under the earth with some pieces having split off and risen up nearer to the surface over time, naturally drawn to the heavens. These crystals have been mined and are being used as powerful energy sources. No-one dares to try and mine from the original hub crystals as even the least religious do not want to risk the world's aspects falling into disarray.
(Essences of the gods, not the gods themselves.)
Welcome to Bay 12. Drop off your soul in the collection plate on the left.-Remuthura

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 07:03:41 pm »

Each divine being is attuned to a single specific sphere of influence, or aspect. These aspects can be primitively simple or extremely complex. The crystals attuned to that deity, and subsequently that deity's aspect, are therefore capable of being used in arcane constructs relative to that aspect leading some crystals to be far higher in demand than others.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 07:05:43 pm »

These crystals are heavily employed by several civilizations and nations who harness the essences into different types of energies based on the crystal's aspect. These energies power simple constructions to entire cities who use these energies to manipulate the world, in great or minor ways depending on the type and amount of energy used.   
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 07:07:52 pm »

PTW
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't kill people but when I do it's slow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 07:09:24 pm »

There was an Era of Peace for Centuries, But then, The Crystals Fell into the Hands of a Psychopathic Despot who used their Power for selfish means.

LORD GOAT THE 120524TH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 07:11:11 pm »

Although this was all just false rumor made by  someone who wished  to increase political tensions.
Welcome to Bay 12. Drop off your soul in the collection plate on the left.-Remuthura

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 07:13:07 pm »

Smaller gods who are bound to the land or to objects, commonly known as spirits, are used by the barbarians on the edge of the civilised lands to power their magic rituals.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 07:16:30 pm »

The Primordial Bog was a vast swath of marshland that had developed an extreme variety of life, and the crystals there were ones of harmony, encouraging every being from the lowliest bacteria to the mightiest beast into a symbiotic relationship. A Republic of sorts was formed, comprised of the concerted efforts of all the swamplands.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't kill people but when I do it's slow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 07:32:11 pm »

And Many Wept whenever The Primordial Bog began to spread over the World, Using the Power of it's Coordinated Crystals. Fortunately, It was slow to begin with and some escaped it's Wrath.

LORD GOAT THE 120524TH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 07:43:08 pm »

(I'm not sure if I'm  >:( or  ::) at Luckykobold)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 07:45:02 pm »

And Many Wept whenever The Primordial Bog began to spread over the World, Using the Power of it's Coordinated Crystals. Fortunately, It was slow to begin with and some escaped it's Wrath.
-1 to this. Despite many rumours and fear-mongering, the Primordial Bog has been shrinking, as the spirits and crystals are exploited as resources by more industrious nations.

Also, that isn't how capitalisation works.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 07:46:02 pm »

It's done. Let's attempt to roll with it.
(And then ignore everything else he does)

===
The spread of the bog was eventually stopped with the invention and deployment of four gigantic god-pillars, taken from enormous crystals which had risen to the surface- somehow fortuitously just as they were needed, and in a position where they would be found and deployed in time to prevent the bog from its creeping spread.

The First pillar, the Sky Pillar, belonged to the nation of the Arveen, a faction of tall, slender humanoids, and their servile sub-race, the sprites - beings made entirely from the magic of the crystals.
Ephemeral, but powerful in groups, and each possessed with a personality in line with the god of their fashioning aspect.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 07:48:20 pm »

(I'm not sure if I'm  >:( or  ::) at Luckykobold)
Don't worry about it, the bogs expansion probably could be scary to those not born there and thus attuned with it.

Besides, he's probably a bit peeved his idea got instantly retconned :P
Which, I'll be honest, I thought it was uninspired, but I thought the rules meant you can only retcon stuff if someone tried to put in a bunch of stuff.

Lets just not turn this into a war guys, okay?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5