Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Let's Create a Setting! - Magitech & Mythic Fantasy - Write Down Lore!  (Read 12608 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Create a Setting! - Magitech & Mythic Fantasy - Write Down Lore!
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2015, 11:09:37 pm »

ptw
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2015, 03:17:25 am »

This might be a bit hard to follow; kinda tired when I wrote this.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 07:29:12 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2015, 04:59:41 am »

The Turban leaders that went into hiding have changed their identities to moguls and influential politicians under different names. They seek to reunite once their strength is gathered and rise once more as the Turban Horde. For now, they bide their time sowing discord among different nations and deliberately fail negotiations between nations.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2015, 06:57:43 am »

... Are we really calling it the Turban Horde? >.>

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2015, 07:01:54 am »

A certain faction in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms kinda got stuck in my head so it's what came naturally to me :D. You're free to change it though.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2015, 07:06:44 am »

But, I mean, they were called that because they were wearing turbans. :p

I'm just imagining a bunch of sentient turbans riding horses shooting bows.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2015, 07:07:47 am »

I forgot to put that in my post didn't I?

EDIT: added a reason for the name. Still feel free to change.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 07:29:41 am by micelus »
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2015, 07:40:05 am »

So anyone gonna flesh out the Arveen/Dwellers/others?

Right now I'm kinda dominating the thread with my BOB's because I wrote more then one line of lore for them >.>

And I still have like 5 info dumps planned in my head.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

LORD GOAT THE 120524TH

• Bay Watcher
  • I only accept the finest cans
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2015, 07:49:01 am »

((Working on the dwellers))
Welcome to Bay 12. Drop off your soul in the collection plate on the left.-Remuthura

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2015, 07:49:52 am »

((Instead of working on my race, I'm just gonna start screwing with others, just so that we can keep it interesting.))

The Alvay Confederation

The Alvay are likely the Least advanced race in terms of using aspects and crystals, relying on their brutish strength and size to solve most problems.
That isn't to say that they're intelligent, however they are primarily xenophobic and conservative- so crystal magitech has been very slow to proliferate throughout their kingdom.

As such, they have not been maintaining their pillar, and it slowly declines, being barely sustained by the efforts of whatever Kahlani trees have managed to adapt and survive within the Bog.
However, there is some evidence to show that the Alvay have been able to shift the lines of the bog simply through sheer willpower, massive labor population, and shovels.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 07:52:42 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

LORD GOAT THE 120524TH

• Bay Watcher
  • I only accept the finest cans
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2015, 08:02:36 am »

The Dwellers are a race of (3 feet/1 meter) short humanoids, commonly with large amounts of facial hair. Their technological and magical advancement is strange as nearly all Dwellers have some fear or hate of magic, But they are nowhere near our technological levels as well, using magma instead of crystals and complicated gear mechanisms in place of magic constructs.

The average dweller is hardworking and social, often going to great lengths to create parties and the like. Some have on odd form of a mental disease which causes one to 'fall into moods' and create random objects.They have also been known to create massive underground forts to protect from invaders.
As they do not care much for magic the Earth pillar is slowly falling disrepair but thanks to the Dweller's hardy construction it will likely be the last to fall.
((They are literally DF Dwarves.))
Welcome to Bay 12. Drop off your soul in the collection plate on the left.-Remuthura

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2015, 08:45:55 am »

At the heart of Dweller spirituality is a deep desire, both traditional and highly personal, to dig until they have reached the center of the world. Despite their outward neglect of modern magical work, they have an abiding respect for the small-gods of their mines and workings, of natural caverns, and of the underground rivers which they occasionally breach.

Although it has reached the ears of outsiders in only a handful of vague accounts, Dwellers believe that just as there are small-gods of places in the Beneath, so too must there be a god of the world which resides in a vast, crystalline cavern deep below the seas of magma. This is why they expend such great efforts to tunnel ever downward, even unto the point of building great pistons and mechanical pumping systems to aid in the construction of vast stairways through the burning world-ocean of the Beneath.

In some places the Dwellers have even built cities around these artificial columns, floating on the surface of the slowly writing magma, and plying its viscous waves with one of their few magics: fine adamant-hulled ships spelled against the overwhelming heat. These are their most sacred places, the closest they have come to their secret goal. The Dwellers have centuries yet and are patient folk, and so they wait, they plan, and they dig.

((Let's not do that. If you want to toss in expies, at least give them something interesting that fits with the world specifically.))

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2015, 01:24:00 pm »

Since the enormous crystals which form the god-pillars had arisen so mysteriously and so suddenly, many theories have surfaced about their true nature and purpose. Strange hieroglyphs recently found in the ruins of an ancient Jhulani temple in the Southern Desert predicted the spread of the Primordial Bog several hundred years beforehand, along with the creation of the god-pillars. Beyond this, the hieroglyphs become damaged and hard to interpret, but they point to the pillars having a greater destiny beyond keeping back the bog.

When the former Eastern Sea League first discovered the crystal that would be the Sea Pillar, they had whale shamans examine it with their sonar magic. Though they could not get a clear picture due to a great deal of magical interference from the crystal itself, they determined that the crystal was at least partially hollow and seemed to contain a great deal of chambers of various shapes and sizes. Though they were not able to access the other chambers for study, they theorized that the rest would have similar internal structure. Whether the crystal chambers would be identical or not was a matter of great debate, as was the purpose and possible contents of these chambers.

((I think I'm a little confused: were the god-pillars made from the crystals, or are the god-pillars just crystals placed in an upright position, or what? Posting this anyway, should probably still make sense.))
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2015, 04:01:37 pm »

In his "Great Critique of Nations" the Elani Lord General Arsepias criticized the BOB for their apparent lack of technological progress. Stating that their outright refusal to adopt the more typical crystal powered machinery of other nations would "inevitably lead to their absorption into the Elani Empire"

The reigning BOBBIE countered that Arsepias had failed to notice the unique technological progression that the biology of its very citizens provided.
Stating: "The harmony between all creatures great and small has allowed our citizens to specialize to such a degree that they can perform functions normally reserved for advanced machinery. With insects hollowing out homes in the great trees, the Crystalline Parasites offering their magical strengths to those who host them, even viruses designing themselves to not effect our biology we have achieved a standard of living that is, in my opinion, far higher then that of those reliant on their clunky machinery. Particularly the Elani."

Scholars tend to refer to this ability of the BOB as "Biotech"

((Feel free to use the Arsepias hook to explain your own technological/military stuffs. The idea is that he basically wrote a book saying "look how stupid you all are, we Elani are awesome" when really the Elani are crap.))
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 04:03:59 pm by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2015, 04:07:02 pm »

((I think I'm a little confused: were the god-pillars made from the crystals, or are the god-pillars just crystals placed in an upright position, or what? Posting this anyway, should probably still make sense.))
I'd assume they're made up of a few gigantic crystals which have been cut to a shape and bonded.
Although each race made theirs differently, the most simple being three tiers, each made up of 6 long crystals bonded into a pillar (dwellers), and the most complex being a gigantic heart-pillar, made from very few of the gigantic crystals, and to make up the size, a huge collection of small crystals interlaced with charred and sullenly glowing tree-roots. (Thinking forest).

The sea-pillar, uniquely, has a core made from one absolutely colossal crystal which literally wouldn't have been possible to move normally were it not for the convenience of the sea.

It can only be speculated that whatever inhabits the other crystals formed after their construction, and began to form the bonded crystals to their desire.

(The god-pillars are very, very big.)
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5