Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 95

Author Topic: Monster Hunter Generations is out!  (Read 159890 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter Generations is out!
« Reply #1320 on: August 09, 2016, 10:07:38 pm »

But does it eat through sharpness faster? I liked the faster poke just because I could keep the 3-step rhythm going easier. I felt the longer poke left me much more vulnerable in situations I wouldn't otherwise be in with the fast poke.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: August 09, 2016, 10:13:49 pm »

But does it eat through sharpness faster? I liked the faster poke just because I could keep the 3-step rhythm going easier. I felt the longer poke left me much more vulnerable in situations I wouldn't otherwise be in with the fast poke.

I'm not sure about the sharpness, but without needing to bring defensive skills and with all the new options to deal with sharpness, it shouldn't be a problem. The longer poke only leaves you vulnerable when you overcommit/spam too much. If you know a monster's openings, you only use it when it's safe and aren't any more vulnerable than with the normal poke. Also, adept lance by nature requires a more conservative playstyle, you can't just backhop/counter out of a combo at the last second, you need to plan your block in advance, evade and then go into a block. Getting better at adept lancing requires/will make you better at gauging enemy openings.

I need to do more testing with normally unblockable attacks. I fought stonefist hermitaur with adept lancing and while I could block everything else fine, not once did I succeed to block hit water blast, which means either I got the timing wrong every single time, or it might not have innate guard up. I need to remember what else has unblockable attacks. Any suggestions for an easy target/attack to test this on?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 10:16:39 pm by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: August 09, 2016, 10:19:48 pm »

I'm not sure about the sharpness, but without needing to bring defensive skills and with all the new options to deal with sharpness, it shouldn't be a problem. The longer poke only leaves you vulnerable when you overcommit/spam too much. If you know a monster's openings, you only use it when it's safe and aren't any more vulnerable than with the normal poke. Also, adept lance by nature requires a more conservative playstyle, you can't just backhop/counter out of a combo at the last second, you need to plan your block in advance, evade and then go into a block. Getting better at adept lancing requires/will make you better at gauging enemy openings.

I need to do more testing with normally unblockable attacks. I fought stonefist hermitaur with adept lancing and while I could block everything else fine, not once did I succeed to block hit water blast, which means either I got the timing wrong every single time, or it might not have innate guard up. I need to remember what else has unblockable attacks. Any suggestions for an easy target/attack to test this on?

No need for testing. I can confirm that perfect guards do not have innate guard up. I tested it several times with Khezu's ground-locked projectiles, which I know to be unblockable, and no matter my timing, it didn't work. Perfect guard only works when you can guard normally.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: August 10, 2016, 01:58:36 am »

My favorite versatile lancing set back in 4U had evade+2, guard+2, guard UP and sharpness+1. Having access to both evade and counter lancing let me make the best of every opening to increase damage output. With adept lancing I'd be able to drop guard+2 and maybe grab sharpness+2 or something nice like weakness exploit.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: August 11, 2016, 01:53:00 am »

So erm, I'm just going to leave this here >.>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MyCQzJydpo

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: August 11, 2016, 12:54:16 pm »

So erm, I'm just going to leave this here >.>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MyCQzJydpo

What the hell...
Never change Japan.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: August 11, 2016, 01:02:54 pm »

I do NOT want to know what kind of armor would be made out of that... thing.

But I secretly do
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 02:11:24 pm by Nighthawk »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: August 11, 2016, 10:17:09 pm »

I just fought the HR3 boss (low-rank final boss). Well, fought him three times because the group I was with we all needed to rank up.

It's... actually pretty fun for a final boss, unlike *cough* Gogmazios *cough*. He's not some stupid HP sponge and he's exciting while doing cool things while looking super badass. He's also really mysterious and just all around well-designed in general. There's not a moment where you're just sitting around going "well, it's time for him to do the thing and we can't hurt him while he's doing the thing".

I have to give props to the MonHun team for making all the new monsters in this game a really nice experience to hunt. They're all great.

I wish there was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less gathering quests though. Jesus Christ they really went overboard with it (which is why I gave up on it previously). Some of the quest sequences are really stupid too. For example, right after you hunt your first Yian Garuga fight your reward is you get to fight another Yian Garuga. Literally just the same quest twice in a row. Why? There's so many examples of this. Another one is after you hunt a Khezu, you unlock the ability to hunt two Khezus, which unlocks the quest to do a Khezu Hunt-a-thon (I think this quest chain was intentional though, as the Yukumo Gal is trying to justify to you why she's doing this and apparently your character is not amused).

I'm also staring at the "Hunt Three Nibelsnarfs" quest right now.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: August 11, 2016, 10:31:29 pm »

Yes. It sucks like crazy. "Hunt Zinogre! Now hunt Zinogre in a different place!" What's even the point? "Gather 20 unique mushrooms even though you already gathered unique mushrooms for like 2 other quests!"
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: August 11, 2016, 11:32:10 pm »

Yes. It sucks like crazy. "Hunt Zinogre! Now hunt Zinogre in a different place!" What's even the point? "Gather 20 unique mushrooms even though you already gathered unique mushrooms for like 2 other quests!"
Oh god those unique mushrooms... and those bloody account quests aaaaaaaargh!!!

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: August 21, 2016, 12:11:36 pm »

Is the death-pickle in MHG as fun as apex death-pickle in MH4U?

related: https://vine.co/v/iqA2UZmx0wq (click on the top-left icon on the animation for the sound)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: August 21, 2016, 12:27:36 pm »

related: https://vine.co/v/iqA2UZmx0wq (click on the top-left icon on the animation for the sound)
Umm...

By fun do you mean "fun"?

Cause there's no G-rank monsters in generations. So basically you're fighting high-rank pickles.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: August 21, 2016, 01:41:10 pm »

Umm...

Cause there's no G-rank monsters in generations. So basically you're fighting high-rank pickles.

Yeah I meant !!FUN!!. Although to be more specific, I'm wondering if they kept his apex extended moveset, the hp/attack value is not what I'm interested in.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: August 21, 2016, 01:44:06 pm »

Umm...

Yeah I meant !!FUN!!. Although to be more specific, I'm wondering if they kept his apex extended moveset, the hp/attack value is not what I'm interested in.
The apex version has an extended moveset? As far as I'm aware, only the savage version had an extended moveset.

There's no apex one in this, obviously, so you won't have to worry about wystones or stuff like that.

It's basically identical to the ones previously. Except, you know, less aggressive because it's high-rank. So it does that, attack for a bit... sit still for a bit... attack for a bit... thing that all the non g-rank monsters do.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 95