Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 95

Author Topic: Monster Hunter Generations is out!  (Read 159886 times)

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter Generations is out!
« Reply #1305 on: August 08, 2016, 04:40:45 am »

My roommate and I decided to tackle deviant monsters equipped with Hr1-2 gear. That was a hell of a lot of fun we had. I like how monsters' less viable moves get upgraded when it comes to deviants, can't fight them lazily. Our first time running into dreadqueen rathian resulted in a doublecart just a few seconds after seeing her due to an unexpected new combo :P
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: August 08, 2016, 08:27:46 am »

Yeah deviants are great, wait till you try hellfire glavenus. I have to say they do a fine job straddling the thin edge of challenging but fair move-set.

I seem to have no problem getting parts for weapon and armor, but the real bottleneck seem to be money right now :/

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: August 08, 2016, 09:24:14 am »

I seem to have no problem getting parts for weapon and armor, but the real bottleneck seem to be money right now :/
Take this link and say goodbye to your money issues.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: August 08, 2016, 10:42:05 am »

Oh, sounds good i'll give that a try. Part farming is fun, money not so much.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: August 08, 2016, 11:00:43 am »

If you get a friend to farm with you the quest can be as short as 1-2 minutes, and you both get the full benefit of doing it. I've reached almost 1 million zenny after doing it for a while.

A tip: once you have more than a stack of Firecell Stones, sell the extras. Huge money.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: August 09, 2016, 03:37:52 pm »

So I realized one of my palico support skills required it to have hunted a Nibelsnarf to unlock.

I hate the Nibelsnarf. I think it's stupid and fat and dumb and it's like it took the worst parts of a snapping turtle mixed with some kind of giant mouth combined with a Cephalos.

But anyway, gotta hunt one and no one was hunting one online.

So I took my level 3 palico with a Garuga fan to go kill the village Nibelsnarf. I thought I'd just poison it a few times and that'd be that.

Turns out... the Nibelsnarf is EXTREMELY resistant to poison. Not only that, since it spends so much time underground it's so hard to build status on it in the first place.

Also, this palico that I was using had ZERO useful skills and abilities other than the usual crap you start with.

Additionally, I forgot palicos can't use bombs, which is basically the best way to deal with a Nibelsnarf.

Cue me desperately fighting this bloody thing for 45 minutes wondering if I was going to ever kill it in time.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: August 09, 2016, 03:48:40 pm »

You have my sympathy. Nibelsnarf can be really unfun at times. In case you don't already know them, here are some random tips that may help you against him in the future:

His head is massive, so I would suggest a Hammer or SnS with Exhaust Oil if you can get access to either one of those. You'll probably be able to stun him rather easily, which means a lot more DPS time.

Additionally, he's a desert monster, which means he should be weak to... *checks Kiranico* ... Yep - ice and water. Those elements will help you out a great deal.

He's doable even without bombs, though he can be a pain if he decides to keep digging - I know firsthand. If you know how to use it, you can bring a Charge Blade with impact phials or water or ice elemental phials, and just hold up a red shield on his face when he repeatedly charges you. That way you'll be dealing damage every time you block one of those attacks.

Hopefully it'll be easier the next time you face him. Good luck. *Salutes*
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 04:06:32 pm by Nighthawk »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: August 09, 2016, 05:33:13 pm »

Uhh... yeah. I know how to fight him bro.

I was just complaining here about how I was lazy and was fighting him with a level 3 palico. You can't exactly equip a hammer or a SnS on a Palico.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: August 09, 2016, 09:07:32 pm »

That's why I said, "In case you don't already know them." I'm not assuming you're stupid, just trying to help the only way I know how.

Also, when you say Palico, do you mean Prowler? If you're playing AS a cat, you should refer to that as a Prowler. Additionally, you don't have to fight him AS the cat. You can just be a hunter and have the cat with you - they'll gain the skill.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 09:09:20 pm by Nighthawk »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: August 09, 2016, 09:12:57 pm »

I actually like Nibelsnarf, it's a prime example of how to make a Cephalos replacement interesting to fight, except they forgot to actually take Cephalos out of the game.

Speaking of that, I hope in future games Capcom starts ditching older monsters in favor of better ones, or at least update the older monsters with better animations etc. They have greatly improved on monster design and animation since their earlier days and it's rather jarring having old monsters in with much more polished ones. I don't understand why they do things like drop Great Jaggi/Wrogi/Baggi in favor of the raptor dromes. Great Jaggi is the penultimate newbie punching bag, even better as a tutorial monster than the Great Maccau IMO and leagues better than Velocidrome. Great Maccau is still a pretty cool beginner monster, but not "first monster you fight" beginner.

The most interesting thing about Khezu is the lack of music to add a bit of creep factor, but I remember Gigginox being a much more interesting fight... although it may just be my nostalgia since 3U was my first game. I heard from the internet somewhere (what a great source) that apparently the Japanese audience loves Khezu, so Capcom chose Khezu over bringing Gigginox back.

Qurupeco is a more interesting Kut-Ku with a gimmick that also teaches players to start carrying dung bombs.
Barioth is sort of a slower Nargacuga but he still has unique attacks, yet nobody seems to remember or care for him because he's not a cat and Japan is obsessed with cats...?

Even Rathalos could use a bit of polish and he's the series' flagship monster. Currently he can be hovering in the air casually, and the next second his tail is in your face with no warning whatsoever. His wind-up animation doesn't even have to be long, just combine it with his ability to turn in midair and it'll make the attack appear much more fluid (and even come out faster since he doesn't have to spend 3 seconds turning towards you). It would be better than no windup whatsoever. Yes, I get that you're not supposed to be standing in front of him when he's hovering, but you have to agree that the way it animates is pretty bad to look at. Then of course there's the issue with the homing claws, that move is just wrong. Considering he has the air-charge attack which is fairly slow despite looking like he should be flying at you full speed, the homing claw attack can potentially travel twice as quickly even though it doesn't at all look like he's charging at you.

It's not like they're afraid to do any changes to monsters, etiher. Just look at Lagiacrus.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: August 09, 2016, 09:27:10 pm »

I really liked and had gotten pretty good at counter lancing in MHU4 and decided I'd give it a go in MHG. I'm still in low rank though and there aren't any good guard sets so I thought I'd do the same thing I did with my dodge weapons when I didn't have evasion skills, I used adept style. That was very different from what I expected. While adept dodging on other weapons is basically easy mode defense, adept guarding is even harder than normal guarding because it requires super precise timing and if you get it wrong, you're stuck in an animation and your guard is weakened. That being said, I'm having loads of fun with it as it's really putting my knowledge of monster moves and my reaction time to the test.

Also, I tried looking up videos of people using adept style on different weapons on youtube and it's mostly narga videos. I know the thing is fast but that just makes it the easiest of things to dodge, people need to pick a better monster if they want to show off :/

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: August 09, 2016, 09:32:17 pm »

You should try Striker Lance if you haven't already. The only things it loses are:
- The X + A Lance sweep
- The Lance Charge jump
- The Lance Charge turnaround sweep

You keep the quick counter, and your third stab becomes just like the previous games - a regular stab. This means you're less likely to get punished for doing a triple-stab, and you can counter-lance to your heart's content. Additionally, the finisher attack on the charge gets mega-buffed to like 70 motion value or something absurd like that, so you can do loads of damage with it.

I've been playing Striker Lance with Absolute Readiness, Shield Assault 1 (for fastest charging) and Enraged Guard (for more damage), and I'm having an absolute blast.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: August 09, 2016, 09:34:50 pm »

I tried adept lance expecting to also have the bushido evade, but no. Apparently only charge blade is allowed to have both perfect guard and perfect evade, unless S&S has it too?

With Adept style anything with an attack you can touch with your invincibility frames may as well be as easy to dodge as a Nargacuga, the challenge comes from enemies that have multiple attacks that can hit you during the post-dodge charge-in.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: August 09, 2016, 09:48:50 pm »

I tried adept lance expecting to also have the bushido evade, but no. Apparently only charge blade is allowed to have both perfect guard and perfect evade, unless S&S has it too?
Nah, SnS doesn't. Adept SnS sucks balls actually. There's a reason why everyone and their mother uses striker SnS.

I switched from adept CB to guild CB but I might just give it up entirely. Adept CB sounds good on paper but in practice I'm having a lot of trouble with it. Like you mentioned earlier with the lance, if you fuck up the timing on the adept guard you just leave yourself open. Also I've noticed that you tend to miss a LOT on the counterattacks.

And I really can't get over how much weaker the CB is now. So many of my old combos were broken. I feel that all the cool natural transitions between sword and axe were nerfed and now I definitely feel a jarring disconnect whenever I want to switch to axe. I have to constantly stop and find a place to switch whereas in the past I could transition into it out of almost any action. It's so weird. I think if you weren't used to how CB was before, then you'd have an easier time adapting to this new version.

Good thing SnS is still fun as balls. HBG is also really, really good still. Adept just makes it even more amazing.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: August 09, 2016, 10:04:19 pm »

You should try Striker Lance if you haven't already. The only things it loses are:
- The X + A Lance sweep
- The Lance Charge jump
- The Lance Charge turnaround sweep

You keep the quick counter, and your third stab becomes just like the previous games - a regular stab. This means you're less likely to get punished for doing a triple-stab, and you can counter-lance to your heart's content. Additionally, the finisher attack on the charge gets mega-buffed to like 70 motion value or something absurd like that, so you can do loads of damage with it.

I've been playing Striker Lance with Absolute Readiness, Shield Assault 1 (for fastest charging) and Enraged Guard (for more damage), and I'm having an absolute blast.

I actually like that 3rd slower poke, it gives you more to consider instead of just mindlessly mashing x or a. It's better than the normal poke for elemental damage and status and is the equivalent of about 2 normal pokes of raw damage. The fact that it's stronger means you don't HAVE to use it every time.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 10:07:55 pm by Ygdrad »
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 95