Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 95

Author Topic: Monster Hunter Generations is out!  (Read 160016 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
« Reply #150 on: February 25, 2015, 12:30:09 pm »

Woo, I completed the newbie set!
Ah, your going the Defensive way. Good for people still getting the hang of the game or a new weapon. Me, I don't mind taking that damage if I stuff up a roll/dodge, I eat only Rice and Fish before hunting for that, go for the Attack boost of the Veloci/Kut gear. A combo of the Helm, Arms and Waist in Veloci and Chest Legs in Kut gives a good Attack(s) but if you throw three Attack Gems onto it you got a Attack(m)...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 12:36:43 pm by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 25, 2015, 12:36:56 pm »

I tried using the blademaster veloci S gear (with Attack up L slotted in and autotracker talisman) in high rank now and it seems nearly every attack is dealing half my health. Probably going to have to cave in and get the tetsucabra set for lack of Barroth S.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 25, 2015, 12:50:07 pm »

Ah, your going the Defensive way. Good for people still getting the hang of the game or a new weapon. Me, I don't mind taking that damage if I stuff up a roll/dodge, I eat only Rice and Fish before hunting for that, go for the Attack boost of the Veloci/Kut gear. A combo of the Helm, Arms and Waist in Veloci and Chest Legs in Kut gives a good Attack(s) but if you throw three Attack Gems onto it you got a Attack(m)...
Yeah, my friend was telling me I could go either the attack up or the defense up, depending on what I wanted to do. He also told me that when my weapons are crap, attack up is kinda worthless.

Since my charge blade can't be upgraded any more until way later, it's the defensive set for me.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 25, 2015, 01:08:27 pm »

Yeah, my friend was telling me I could go either the attack up or the defense up, depending on what I wanted to do. He also told me that when my weapons are crap, attack up is kinda worthless.

Since my charge blade can't be upgraded any more until way later, it's the defensive set for me.
Go Explorations, I found a Rusted Switchaxe which when polished is doing around 650Phys Axe and 650Phys+250Ice dmg Sword. While it only has a Yellow Sharpness as max, the Sword form can easily cut through alot of the early monster armour. An example is the Spider (Fuck spelling its actual name). Most of its upper and legs are armoured to Green and above so Axe form would normally bounce but the sword cut through neatly...
Though chances of finding this weapon for you is slim cause it looks like the stats are RNG. Which is kinda cool, add in some quick hunts of Guild Quests for Abrasives, you can easily find the weapon you want, just keep note of the Bias for weapons cause that effects the Rusted type...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 25, 2015, 01:11:54 pm »

I also prefer the defensive set on the fact that it'll help me live.

I don't know what any of the monsters do or what any of them are. I'm super noob. If I don't go defensive I'll get wrecked.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 25, 2015, 01:14:32 pm »

I don't know what any of the monsters do or what any of them are. I'm super noob. If I don't go defensive I'll get wrecked.
Heh, Want some advice? :P I am seeing Monsters that I have been fighting since Freedom Unite on PSP so most of their actions are ingrained in my head, even to today the Congolala's moveset was easy to avoid, though I remember the Mushroom being easier to knock out of his tail...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 25, 2015, 01:19:40 pm »

Nah, I've actually been going out of my way to avoid getting advice. (Other than the really obscure stuff like armour skills)

I want to have a "pure" experience. For example, I was poking at the Gypceros after I killed it and then it suddenly sprang back up to life. I imagine a lot of veterans know that trick but it was pretty amusing to me. Also learning that attacking it from the back was a really stupid idea because it has something like a whip bubblegum tail (I think that's what it is, it keeps changing length). The most fun was trying to figure out how to avoid its flashbang or when I noticed that your palico will knock you out of the stun if it can.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 25, 2015, 01:25:35 pm »

Nah, I've actually been going out of my way to avoid getting advice. (Other than the really obscure stuff like armour skills)

I want to have a "pure" experience. For example, I was poking at the Gypceros after I killed it and then it suddenly sprang back up to life. I imagine a lot of veterans know that trick but it was pretty amusing to me. Also learning that attacking it from the back was a really stupid idea because it has something like a whip bubblegum tail (I think that's what it is, it keeps changing length). The most fun was trying to figure out how to avoid its flashbang or when I noticed that your palico will knock you out of the stun if it can.
Yeah, Gypceros is a sneak, his body is rubber like (hence why you get Rubbery Hide on carves) so alot of it stretches, mainly his tail. He plays Possum too, its ok if you know how long he generally stays "dead" for to give you some free hits but best just Heal/Sharpen and finally, dodgeroll or block for the flashbang he emits, or just be looking the other way at a distance, the flint there can also be broken which will stop that flashbang from happening...

Though I know what you mean with the learning as you go. Players have it a little easier with the Palicos (and whatever they were called in the Wii version), Freedom Unite had you learning face first, at least now you can sit back and avoid battle to learn its movements as you Palico Ace shows you the movesets...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 25, 2015, 04:25:34 pm »

Holy crap I just watched a pro charge blade user do his thing in an mp game.

I didn't even know you could do all those things like charge the AXE or constantly chain combos nonstop.

The guy wiped the spidermama so freaking fast.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 25, 2015, 04:36:01 pm »

This game tempts me to get a 3DS.

Tempts.

I'm still torn, though. When you can easily buy 10+ Steam games for $100, a game system and a single game seems like a pretty crappy deal, ya know?
I've been with the MH series since its first game. I bought my psp and my 3ds just for the MH games(although i found other games i like too). I'm poor, but I knew this was a good investment for entertainment because I tend to put hundreds of hours into those games. My playtime on this one is already shamefully high.

I know you don't want advice but active defense is better than passive defense. Investing in skills that help block or dodge is better than higher defense as later in the game you just can't afford to get hit anymore, even with high defense. The thing with evading and blocking is that they're doubly useful as they improve your offense as they keep you near the monster where you can deal damage. Proper blocking/evading is something that is better learned early since late game is a horrible time to practice.

On the subject of offense and defense I love how they designed Gore Magala(and frenzied monsters), Seregios, and the debuffs they apply. The frenzy virus is meant to teach you to be intelligently aggressive as you need to land hits without getting hit to remove it. Seregios on the other hand has moves with pretty long warning animations but extremely quick execution which makes it easy to time a dodge through them. Furthermore, Seregios inflicts the bleed debuff which deals heavy damage over time if you're moving around and can be removed by either eating a steak(which has a long animation) or crouching for 5 seconds(at which point you need to time dodges properly to evade attacks). Magala/frenzy teaches you smart offense Seregios teaches you smart defense(too bad he shows up so late though :P)
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 25, 2015, 04:38:23 pm »

Holy crap I just watched a pro charge blade user do his thing in an mp game.

I didn't even know you could do all those things like charge the AXE or constantly chain combos nonstop.

The guy wiped the spidermama so freaking fast.
That, yeah kinda annoying for me to get those combos running, I sometimes drop the Charge for the Axe too...
If I remember rightly after your charge your Shield (Phials) swing the sword, discharge shield (the sheild stab) then change to Axe from that motion but before Axe forms hit R to pull your sword free from the link, this puts the phial charges into the shield itself. So its A > AX > AX+R If you do it right the shield will glow. 30secs of boosted Attack to your Axe per Phial before charging and your shield now defends like a Lance's, which is stronger...
The Combos are something you just need to practice. Go into the Training Mission (1Star) and practice chaining them without fighting the Jaggi. Also holding A will charge the sword swing...

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 25, 2015, 04:47:47 pm »

Furthermore, Seregios inflicts the bleed debuff which deals heavy damage over time if you're moving around and can be removed by either eating a steak(which has a long animation) or crouching for 5 seconds(at which point you need to time dodges properly to evade attacks).
Don't forget about the Mosswine Jerky from the gathering hall shop. It cures bleeding, too, and it's quicker than eating steak or crouching.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 25, 2015, 05:27:03 pm »

I managed to do the full red charged axe + super blast on the rock dragon thing's head (basili-something). It went splat in one hit.

GLORIOUS.

Edit: I did the same thing to that velociraptor thing you're supposed to capture... except it died in that same one hit. Hrm... need to tone it down a bit.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 25, 2015, 07:29:43 pm »

Speaking of rock dragons, I don't remember Basarios having only its legs to not bounce green sharpness. Good god I think I killed it with like 75% of my blows bouncing off.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 25, 2015, 07:38:31 pm »

I was fighting Basarios with GS and the only part I found that wouldn't bounce was the tail tip. That worked fine until I cut it off. It seems like the belly/chest/between the legs? area wouldn't bounce either, but I couldn't hit it.

I was basically just bouncing off until I got it to run into some bombs. It was embarrassing.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 95