Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20

Author Topic: Any ideas for some shenanigans a Paladin in 3.5?  (Read 29032 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Any ideas for some shenanigans a Paladin in 3.5?
« Reply #255 on: March 03, 2015, 08:52:36 pm »

BTW, y'all are aware that there's plenty of magic items that non-casters can use that make up for not being able to cast spells.

For the example of teleporting out of a forcecage there's the Cape of the Mountebank and the Helm of Teleportation
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 03, 2015, 08:57:16 pm »

So. Book of nine swords, is basically what you are describing. Sorta. At least it seems that way to me.
AFAIK it doesn't solve the "Versatility" issue. Most fighting-spells have combat-only applications - and this will still lead to situations where half of the group twiddle their thumbs while the full-caster solves the problem.

BTW, y'all are aware that there's plenty of magic items that non-casters can use that make up for not being able to cast spells.

For the example of teleporting out of a forcecage there's the Cape of the Mountebank and the Helm of Teleportation
While items are certainly useful as a stop-gap measure, there are three problems:
1) They cost money, and you need money for armour/swords, too. Wizards don't need both, so they have more free money, which leads to...
2) While you buy items of magic, Wizard buys Rods of Metamagic. He's still seriously ahead of you.
3) At high-levels relying on them becomes vastly more dangerous because of disjunction.
._.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 03, 2015, 09:07:01 pm »

Ah, I see. Honestly, I strongly disagree that every character should be able to solve every issue. So long as players have their niche in the party, or can at least meaningfully mechanically contribute, I really don't see the issue relying on the wizard for planeshifting or whatever.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 03, 2015, 09:18:31 pm »

Ah, I see. Honestly, I strongly disagree that every character should be able to solve every issue. So long as players have their niche in the party, or can at least meaningfully mechanically contribute, I really don't see the issue relying on the wizard for planeshifting or whatever.
The problem comes from the fact that all parties have different compositions, and in some of them there may be no Wizard at all. Limiting group's capabilities just because they chose Fighter, Ranger and Barbarian as their classes = not good. They won't pass even half of the level-appropriate challenges at high-level, thus forcing the DM to fudge the odds and the adventure to their advantage, ruining the verisimilitude of the setting.
._.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 03, 2015, 09:23:54 pm »

What do you mean by level appropriate challenge? That generally means challenges based on CR, which are normally trivial for even a slightly optimized character of any class. Planeshifting isn't a level appropriate challenge at any level, it's part of the story. Ether a minor part if your party can do it, a major part if your party can't and they need to do some quest for it, or something in between. At any rate it's just... Something you need to do. It might be challenging, but it's not a 'challenge'. If that makes sense.

At any rate the power of a party changes so much depending on so many things that level appropriate doesn't mean anything anyway. A GM already has to make adventures with their party in mind.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 03, 2015, 09:25:07 pm »

Another factor that could balance casters with non-casters is encounters that take place in a crowded area. If there's a ton of civilians around getting in the way of things then Fireball and Cone of Cold aren't going to be very useful to a non-evil party.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 03, 2015, 09:43:51 pm »

Problem wizards don't cast Fireball or Cone of Cold, though. As a matter of fact, making those spells less competitive is the opposite of helpful. Blaster wizards actually are kind of well-balanced, because that's what WotC playtested.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 03, 2015, 10:05:38 pm »

I misread an earlier post as asking how planeshift could possibly be overpowered. Although the post in question did not actually ask that here is my response anyway:

Hypothetically by casting it twice you could entirely bypass the pholgiston in the Spelljammer setting. It's the same principle as the teleporter from Half-Life or the titular spaceship from Event Horizon, or the warp-drive in Warhammer 40K. You can't teleport directly from one crystal sphere to another, but you could do it in two trips by shifting fully to another plane of existence and then shifting back to a different location.

The solution, of course, is for what happened in those movies and games to happen and the party get bushwhacked by overpowered creatures on the other plane in such a way that they think twice next time.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 03, 2015, 10:13:04 pm »

What do you mean by level appropriate challenge? That generally means challenges based on CR, which are normally trivial for even a slightly optimized character of any class. Planeshifting isn't a level appropriate challenge at any level, it's part of the story. Ether a minor part if your party can do it, a major part if your party can't and they need to do some quest for it, or something in between. At any rate it's just... Something you need to do. It might be challenging, but it's not a 'challenge'. If that makes sense.

At any rate the power of a party changes so much depending on so many things that level appropriate doesn't mean anything anyway. A GM already has to make adventures with their party in mind.

The Hrothgar's Journey incantation from Unearthed Arcana is a good example of something that could be used to move between planes in a party with no planeshift capable caster
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 03, 2015, 10:26:55 pm »

Problem wizards don't cast Fireball or Cone of Cold, though. As a matter of fact, making those spells less competitive is the opposite of helpful. Blaster wizards actually are kind of well-balanced, because that's what WotC playtested.

Yeah the most effective way to homebrew in balance wouldn't be to tweak magic items, it would be to nerf casters back into blasters and buffers.

Maybe you could put the neat varieties back in by making it so that a caster can take feats that will give them those awesome abilities, but only in limited supply.  So maybe your wizard wants the ability to step around the corner and emerge on the other side of the continent, cool, but she is going to need to focus on travel magic to do that.  Fly around and launch magic missiles on the enemy from above like a magic girl?  You can opt for that style but you wont be able to wrap yourself in 20 OP defenses simultaneously so watch out for those arrows.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 03, 2015, 10:32:34 pm »

I believe that's the idea that 5E is going for, with only being able to have one continuous spell on at a time basically (because you can only concentrate on one)

No comment if they have achieved it.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 03, 2015, 10:34:15 pm »

But what about the insane diversity that casters have?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 04, 2015, 12:12:16 am »

Ah, yes. So non-primary casters burn all of their WBL to achieve a less flexible and smaller range of abilities which primary casters get without spending a cp. It doesn't even bring them to parity, and then casters can use their WBL to widen the gap even further. Again, this does zip to deal with the gap in flexibility. Instead of Fighter McFighter being the guy who hits things, he's the guy who hits things and can also escape from certain types of magical or mundane prison a limited number of times.

@Sergarr: I wasn't suggesting reducing the number of spells available. That's why I made that other long post. It's boring for the exact reason you stated. That's why my ideal solution is to make every class equal at every stage of the game without doing it by making them all dull (including being equally absurdly broken at high levels).
I've got a question: how would you differentiate between different martial characters, if you're using the same system for them all that's intended to power them up significantly? Kind of an important question here.

Yep.

I can see a couple different ways to handle it. One would be to split things along class lines. Here's a rough, brief outline of a couple basic martial and skillful classes (note that skillful classes would probably be a mesh of this with other buffs):
Spoiler: Holy rambling, Batman! (click to show/hide)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 04, 2015, 08:13:28 am »

Yeah the most effective way to homebrew in balance wouldn't be to tweak magic items, it would be to nerf casters back into blasters and buffers.

Maybe you could put the neat varieties back in by making it so that a caster can take feats that will give them those awesome abilities, but only in limited supply.  So maybe your wizard wants the ability to step around the corner and emerge on the other side of the continent, cool, but she is going to need to focus on travel magic to do that.  Fly around and launch magic missiles on the enemy from above like a magic girl?  You can opt for that style but you wont be able to wrap yourself in 20 OP defenses simultaneously so watch out for those arrows.
Yes, that's one way to do it - breaking the "Generalist" wizard into many subclasses for each of the school of magic, to keep it on the same level as a Fighter, who is forced by design to choose between various feats.

Also you'd need to nerf conjuration, divination and "spells that fvcking kill people", and give martial classes some good out-of-combat abilities for dealing with obstacles which cannot be solved by whacking it with a sword.

The problem is that blasters and buffers are boring. 4e has shown us that simply turning all magic-users into blasters/buffers is not a good solution. Also it's a deconstructive solution - it solves the problem by lessening the game; a proconstructive solution which would would solve the problem by enriching the game would be better for both the game itself and for the players.

Since D&D's main meat is the spells, I define a "level-appropriate challenge" as something which can be solved by a Wizard, or other full-spellcaster class at the same level. Without using broken infinite combinations like Gate Chaining Solars or Infinite Wishes exploits.
._.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 04, 2015, 10:58:17 am »

I'll be honest, I usually play mundanes. I don't like the amout of time and effort I've gotta put into my spell lists.

Also in 40K news, and rapidly cementing myself as the token fanboy of such, I just finished my Raptors squad (finally)! Trying to decide my next move. Very much over painting anything which requires fine details for now.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20