Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20

Author Topic: Any ideas for some shenanigans a Paladin in 3.5?  (Read 29027 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Any ideas for some shenanigans a Paladin in 3.5?
« Reply #240 on: March 03, 2015, 08:01:25 pm »

A wizard's pretty crappy against enemies that have high spell resistence or energy resistence against whatever they have memorized
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 03, 2015, 08:05:16 pm »

A wizard's pretty crappy against enemies that have high spell resistence or energy resistence against whatever they have memorized
It's true. This is why psionics is overpowered - you can choose your energy types on the fly, and you can dump hundreds of power points on a single power! Fortunately, Core is well-balanced, and nobody has ever had problems with, say, Druids.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 03, 2015, 08:07:13 pm »

Actually, I'd be interested in seeing a mechanic go the other way, with a sort of 'weapon investment'. For characters that use material weapons, have their weapons gain exp with them. At certain points the character can choose from a selection of abilities associated with the weapon. Fairly early on, have the weapon become sentient -- probably around the equivalent of 3rd or 4th level. After that, the character can take 24 hours to attune and transfer the spirit of their weapon to a new one, so that it continues to develop. Additionally, once it is a living weapon, it is functionally an artifact and impossible to destroy (or nearly so).

It'd be separate from normal magical enhancements, and probably more specialized/interesting than "+n". At lower levels this might be something that would resemble a non-numerical enhancement -- say, you chose for the weapon to align with elemental lightning, after that point it does an additional 1d6 shock damage on hit and arcs with small sparks when unsheathed. At higher levels you could get more complex, with things like being able to dispel illusions with a blow, or gain AoOs against spells effecting or passing by the wielder, allowing them to make an attack roll against the spell's DC to dispel it. At really high levels you could get into esoteric effects, things like cutting portals between planes or locations, killing with something akin to the principle of contagion, or cutting away knowledge and memories from people. At epic level you could get into really crazy things like killing ideas or cutting down impossibility a la Hoon Ding.

A big part of martial characters is apparently supposed to have been their attachment to their weapons and fighting style; that's why there were so many feats for weapon focus, specialization, &c. With something similar to what I described you could very easily match caster flexibility and power with martial characters despite going at it from an entirely different angle. With casters, they're legendary heroes known for their magical might. Martial characters are legendary heroes known for their skill with their weapon of choice, why shouldn't those weapons and their skills be as significant as the magical power and skills of casters?

Thoughts? The overall flexibility of it would probably still be lower than a wizard-fair, given that being Batman is pretty much the wizard's thing-but at the very least it should be equivalent to most other casters. It's still a distinct divide between casters and martial characters in terms of how they function, but the power level should be much closer.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 03, 2015, 08:07:58 pm »

Are you familiar with Weapons of Legacy?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 03, 2015, 08:08:52 pm »

Never heard of it before. I'm assuming it uses something like that?

3. Run Resize Enable

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 03, 2015, 08:09:46 pm »

That's the idea, although the implementation leaves something to be desired, IIRC. You might look into it to get something to serve as a jumping-off point for homebrew.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 03, 2015, 08:11:08 pm »

I think a better idea would be weapons amd magic items that draw ppwer from the user's lifeforce, meaning in game terms that the fighter with the good hit dice and high physical ability scores could weild them to greater effect than a flimsy caster.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 03, 2015, 08:16:37 pm »

Linking magic item levels allowed to BaB would do that at lower levels.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 03, 2015, 08:18:47 pm »

Yeah, TBH. If I'm not playing a primary caster or something I enjoy RPing, I'd rather just go for a good old fashioned borderline-abuse martial setup so that I can at least trivially resolve any situation which can be dealt with by hitting a dude really really hard. Charge builds can get up to absurd levels of damage once you start stacking the multipliers, and that's one place (particularly when it comes to sustainable damage) where a well-built martial character can still outshine other things. Even a Mailman will eventually run out of spells, but the charger will never run out of sword and the masochist will never run out of AoO provocation.
A fighter has to worry about running out of HP, kek.

Also limited amount of spell usually just make people rest more often, leading to so-called "5 minute workdays", because playing a Wizard with depleted spell-stock is deeply unfun. So in essence balancing Wizard's uber-capabilities by limiting the amount they can do it per an arbitrary and easily manipulatable resource in-game doesn't work properly.

It doesn't for properly for the same reason why the 2e "Fighter strong at the low-levels, Wizards strong at high-levels" paradigm wasn't working properly - because not all games take the group all the way from 1 to 20. And not all games throw enough shit at group to make the Wizard run out of spells, and when they do throw enough shit to do so, the optimal course of action at this point becomes "finding a place to rest and replenish the spell-stock ASAP", because usually Wizard (or any other full spellcaster) is the main carrier of the group. Incidentally, I think that's why they made cantrips at-will powers in 5e.

Plenty of spells work indirectly and thus not affected by the SR or ER in the slightest. Like the Forcecage, which is basically the ultimate "fuck you" to any class not able to cast either teleport or a fucking disintegrate, which is everybody who's not an arcane caster.
Or all illusion spells. Put an illusion of a floor above the spike pit, and have fun.

It's true. This is why psionics is overpowered - you can choose your energy types on the fly, and you can dump hundreds of power points on a single power! Fortunately, Core is well-balanced, and nobody has ever had problems with, say, Druids.
Core is well-balanced? Really? Are we talking about the same Druids that can, with wild-shape, be better than a fighter in every way?
._.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 03, 2015, 08:21:26 pm »

That's the idea, although the implementation leaves something to be desired, IIRC. You might look into it to get something to serve as a jumping-off point for homebrew.
I might do that as a longer-term project once I'm done with applying to grad school and such. Thanks for the heads-up!

I think a better idea would be weapons amd magic items that draw ppwer from the user's lifeforce, meaning in game terms that the fighter with the good hit dice and high physical ability scores could weild them to greater effect than a flimsy caster.
Eeh. I really hope you don't mean something equivalent to casting from HP. And I'd still be worried about there being a power imbalance; remember that the real power casters have is largely independent of their ability scores. All high INT/WIS/CHA does for a caster is raise their DCs and give them some extra spells, the flexibility and power comes from the effects of their spells and the ease with which they can change the paradigm of a campaign. A wizard with 3rd level spells is in many ways more difficult for a DM to manage than a 20th level figher, unless that fighter has spent a good chunk of his or her wealth on items which have effects that replicate useful spells.

And, ultimately, what would it do? Add damage? Make it easier to hit things or more difficult to be hit? Martial classes aren't in troubled waters because they're not good enough at hitting things and being hit.

I mean, if my read of what mainiac is suggesting is right, that's one way to level the balance, but it stops working so well at higher levels (which is where the problem is greatest) and doesn't do anything about the same core issue I hit on above.

There's ultimately a choice. Either you balance things like they did in 4e, by making everything homogenous and boring, or by making martial and skillful classes as strong and broadly applicable as primary casters.

@Sergarr: I wasn't suggesting reducing the number of spells available. That's why I made that other long post. It's boring for the exact reason you stated. That's why my ideal solution is to make every class equal at every stage of the game without doing it by making them all dull (including being equally absurdly broken at high levels).

3. Run Resize Enable

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 03, 2015, 08:22:31 pm »

Casters can get higher physical ability scores than noncasters (Shapechange is fun), and I'm not sure what sort of hit-dice mechanic you could implement that would scale well and interact with multiclassing cleanly. BAB helps, but runs into problems with Divine Power on divine casters. I mean, not to shit all over the idea or anything, I'm just mentioning the classic tricks you'll want to design around.

Core is well-balanced? Really? Are we talking about the same Druids that can, with wild-shape, be better than a fighter in every way?
It was sarcasm. Everything in that post was supposed to be glaringly stupid, including my agreement that SR and energy resistance are meaningful impediments to a wizard. The truth may be found in the spoiler below.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 03, 2015, 08:34:05 pm »

Battle Blessing.
Sword of the Arcane Order

There.  Now you cast off the wizard list, and are auto-quickened.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 03, 2015, 08:41:29 pm »

Those don't actually work together. Battle Blessing only works on Paladin spells. Sword of the Arcane order spells are still explicitly wizard spells (not paladin spells from the wizard list.) At least, that's my reading of the feat. Even if they did work together you just gave the paladin some spells that are only about ten levels out of date and made it so that instead of 4 different attributes he needs, he now has 5.

Edit: Also there was a lot of conversation I missed that I'm not going to try to recapture. I'm just going to put in that I don't think things need to be perfectly, or even well, balanced. I just think that every player should be able to mechanically contribute something to the party. It's fine if all the martial type character can do is kill things so long as they are not totally overshadowed by other peoples ability to kill things. And furthermore, even though 3.5 is unbalanced, it's more like it has a large range of possible power levels, and I think that a majority of the actual balance work that needs to be done for it needs to be done on a group by group basis, which is, in my experience, not actually a issue with a good group.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 08:48:13 pm by Criptfeind »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 03, 2015, 08:43:43 pm »

@Sergarr: I wasn't suggesting reducing the number of spells available. That's why I made that other long post. It's boring for the exact reason you stated. That's why my ideal solution is to make every class equal at every stage of the game without doing it by making them all dull (including being equally absurdly broken at high levels).
I've got a question: how would you differentiate between different martial characters, if you're using the same system for them all that's intended to power them up significantly? Kind of an important question here.

Casters can get higher physical ability scores than noncasters (Shapechange is fun), and I'm not sure what sort of hit-dice mechanic you could implement that would scale well and interact with multiclassing cleanly. BAB helps, but runs into problems with Divine Power on divine casters. I mean, not to shit all over the idea or anything, I'm just mentioning the classic tricks you'll want to design around.

It was sarcasm. Everything in that post was supposed to be glaringly stupid, including my agreement that SR and energy resistance are meaningful impediments to a wizard. The truth may be found in the spoiler below.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well yeah I know, that's why I suggested to make heroic shit as class abilities that would work kinda like the spell-list of the Wizard does, but with less magic and more punching reality to bend it to your will. Fighters would be like Wizards, with lots of moves potentially available, but having to specifically prepare for them at 8-hour rests. Barbarians - more like Sorcerers, with a short limited list, but able to do more of them and do them without preparation. And so on.

Battle Blessing.
Sword of the Arcane Order

There.  Now you cast off the wizard list, and are auto-quickened.
"Benefit: You can use your paladin and ranger spell slots to prepare Wizard spells."
Still limited by the 4th circle.
._.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 03, 2015, 08:49:28 pm »

So. Book of nine swords, is basically what you are describing. Sorta. At least it seems that way to me.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20