Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 98

Author Topic: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. OOC Thread. [Ended]  (Read 99598 times)

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. OOC Thread.
« Reply #930 on: December 18, 2015, 01:37:36 pm »

Now that Arwen has the information he wants, we're good. The Cultists are making more Kobolds, so we can use that against them by using Kobold Baby Bombs. For now... Let's follow the Trogs.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: December 18, 2015, 03:41:00 pm »

"Thric, merely vin expression. Si apologize ihk tikil confusion. Yth geou demak wux ihk vi moxt while, sva wer zi gekip.
Right, it's now canon that Arwen speaks Draconommon. It's like Spanglish, not the Draconomicon.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: December 18, 2015, 04:44:59 pm »

((Also, translations would continue to be nice.  That's a rather large number of pages to load on my limited data plan.))
Of course. Fixed.

Also, who's heading into the pit with Johanna?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: December 18, 2015, 04:45:24 pm »

All of us I think.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: December 18, 2015, 04:49:15 pm »

Just wanted to confirm before I went ahead and made an assumption.

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: December 18, 2015, 11:21:25 pm »

I have a bad feeling/

darkwarlock3

• Bay Watcher
  • !!LET IT BURN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: December 19, 2015, 01:15:27 am »

do we have to use e5 sheets or can i use 3.5 because making a necromancer/ psychic mind flaire is hard with e5
I need more things to join, Send me a request if you need players for something.
I came for the games and stayed for the lack of sanity.
Grammar is my only weakness

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: December 19, 2015, 02:20:06 am »

Well, this is a 5e game, so yes, you have to use 5e sheets, and 5e mechanics in general. However, if need be, we can talk about porting other material. That goes for everyone; if you find some homebrew or something that you'd like to try out, toss it my way, and I'll do my best to make it happen.
To you playing a Mindflayer, I'm going to say no, unless you can convince me why I should let you play an Illithid. I found this quote on Reddit while looking for 5e Mindflayer races:
Quote from: Untoldstory55
Illithids should not be player characters. They are far realm aberrations whose motives are so far outside mortal understanding. I get wanting to be different, but it's like allowing a player to be a devil. Either it doesn't make any sense, or it makes the game focus too much on one person.
In this game, both the Golden Rule (commonly confused with Rule Zero) and the Rule of Cool (Warning! TVTropes link!) are in effect. What I'm not okay with is blatant powergaming for the sake of powergaming. What I'm looking for is both an in-universe reason an Illithid would be part of an adventuring party (instead of sucking their brains out), and a good reason why I should let you play a Mindflayer. If one is a good enough answer, it'll work for both.

All that said, it's still possible to play a necromancer/psion. The party is at fourth level right now; you could take two levels of Psion and Wizard each.

darkwarlock3

• Bay Watcher
  • !!LET IT BURN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: December 19, 2015, 03:53:37 am »

the reason why the mindflayer would be in adventuring party that has other races in it and does not eat there brains is it had enough with the elder brain's bullshit and saw opportune if it joined the party truth be told it would still want there brains but would have to resist the urge. but could you imagine the current party walk into this squid man looking creature and truth be told they wouldn't know what it is until they have someone who met one before. and the reason why you should let me play it is i will only be level four and when a DM start using them is around level 17 to 20 and there physical ability scores are reduce. -2 to str and -4 to con but they are amazing wizards +4 int +2 wis +2 cha. and beside if anyone gets too out of hand you can give me a hard douse of reality or straight up kill anyone
I need more things to join, Send me a request if you need players for something.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: December 19, 2015, 12:11:28 pm »

I'm not going to say anything.
I'm just going to look at this disapprovingly.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 01:40:55 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: December 19, 2015, 12:25:19 pm »

Alright, so here's my new take on Arwen's understanding of the Draconic Language. He can understand it pretty well, but there's some words he has trouble with, so he just uses the Common variant. Also, the translator did that so I'm upset at it.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: December 19, 2015, 04:17:41 pm »

the reason why the mindflayer would be in adventuring party that has other races in it and does not eat there brains is it had enough with the elder brain's bullshit and saw opportune if it joined the party truth be told it would still want there brains but would have to resist the urge.
What's your character's name?
To be honest, it's a pretty cliched idea, almost as cliched as any Chaotic Good drow ranger with two scimitars. In fact, the comparison is really kind of uncanny. The backstory isn't much better; it's easy to say "I hate the Elder Brain!", but not as easy to answer why you do so. Why would a being raised in a society where good and evil are understood in totally alien concepts be against his leader? The elder-brain doesn't lie to the Mindflayers, it guides them to domination; there's no bullshit there.
It's clear to me that you're excited to make a character, but as the DM, my foremost concern is how it's going play out, pun intended. As of now, the concept you have is an interesting mechanical one, but just doesn't have a great story component. If you were an alien spy/agent who was intervening in earthly affairs based upon some unknowable extra-planar politics, then that would be cool. As of now, a random Illithid walking out of the Underdark and saying "I am a party member now and I pinky-promise that I won't eat your brains" isn't very cool.
But to get back to my initial point: What's your character's name? From what I see, you don't have a character, you have a build. And that's a starting place, from which you make a character. It's how I make a lot of mine. But I need to see more flesh before I can approve this.
but could you imagine the current party walk into this squid man looking creature and truth be told they wouldn't know what it is until they have someone who met one before.
If there's one thing I know about this party, it's that they like to roll knowledge checks. If they walked into a mindflayer, I'd set a DC 10 Int Check to know that it's an abomination from the depths of the earth, and a DC 15 check to know it's an Illithid, and some basic facts. With three different people rolling checks, there's a damn good chance they'll figure out what you are.
and the reason why you should let me play it is i will only be level four and when a DM start using them is around level 17 to 20 and there physical ability scores are reduce. -2 to str and -4 to con but they are amazing wizards +4 int +2 wis +2 cha.
wot
That's... that's not how that works... that's not how any of this works. There aren't ability score penalties in 5e. Here, this would be the Illithid race I'd accept (with alterations from the rest of the players, of course.). It's hacked together from a bunch of other stuff. This is, of course, assuming that you can convince me to let you play an Illithid, which you still have yet to do.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and beside if anyone gets too out of hand you can give me a hard douse of reality or straight up kill anyone
What I'm trying to do now is prevent that from ever happening. I don't want to say 'no' later, so I'm saying 'how about trying this instead' now.

Alright, so here's my new take on Arwen's understanding of the Draconic Language. He can understand it pretty well, but there's some words he has trouble with, so he just uses the Common variant. Also, the translator did that so I'm upset at it.
So it's Draconommon. :P
Yeah, the translator isn't perfect, but you can submit new words, so that's nice.

darkwarlock3

• Bay Watcher
  • !!LET IT BURN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: December 19, 2015, 11:47:51 pm »

the character does have name its "Crashing Wave" also if we take a look at 4e monster manual its a dc of 20 (yes i know DM has final say in stuff like that) just to know what it is which points to fact that most people don't live through there raids. and mindflayers have doubt the elder brain before. and i didn't say that my character's background i was just giving an example. and the best counter to mindflayer is the undead which renders pychic attacks to the mind useless . and good to know that there no racial ability score effects from what what i read
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 12:31:32 am by darkwarlock3 »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: December 20, 2015, 12:13:42 am »

* TheBiggerFish quietly sobs in the corner.

Please, stop ignoring the GM.

You need, absolutely must positively, come up with BACKSTORY.

Not mechanics, not... Whatever.

Your character needs a raison d'etre, a reason to exist.  Then you can hash out how the mechanics work.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 12:16:55 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: December 20, 2015, 03:20:52 am »

Look, come back with a character sheet, and then we can talk more, but be prepared for me to shoot it down. Right now, you don't have anything solid, so I can't approve or disapprove of it.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 98