I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 661898 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: God-Proof Chariots Edition
« Reply #3360 on: November 11, 2015, 12:26:15 am »

In the Old Testament, the average Jew could only communicate with God via a priest. The idea carries over to the New Testament, and the commonly held interpretation is that Jesus serves as the priest. We don't communicate with God directly but rather to Christ who then passes it on, so to speak.

Doesn't that interpretation assume non-trinitarianism?

EDIT:
who generally find it weird and possibly heretical that Catholics pray to anyone other than Jesus and God

Same question
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 12:31:06 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: November 11, 2015, 12:35:36 am »

I think that it is more of a formality, or a way to thank Jesus. I personally pray to either one of them.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3362 on: November 11, 2015, 12:43:53 am »

In the Old Testament, the average Jew could only communicate with God via a priest. The idea carries over to the New Testament, and the commonly held interpretation is that Jesus serves as the priest. We don't communicate with God directly but rather to Christ who then passes it on, so to speak.
Doesn't that interpretation assume non-trinitarianism?
Not really (although personally I'm sceptical of it). The Trinity is composed of three distinct entities, it's reasonable to assume they can act independently and communicate.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: November 11, 2015, 12:59:07 am »

we know that they communicate with each other. There are several instances where this happens in the bible.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: November 11, 2015, 03:51:21 am »

If modern psychologists got their hands on god, I wonder if they'd call him schizophrenic.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3365 on: November 11, 2015, 06:38:01 am »

Probably not.
Despite the origin of the term, from Greek skhizein, meaning "to split", and phrēn, meaning "mind", schizophrenia does not imply a "split personality" or "multiple personality disorder" — a condition with which it is often confused in public perception.[1] Rather, the term means a "splitting of mental functions", reflecting the presentation of the illness.[2]
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: November 11, 2015, 06:40:17 am »

Or maybe he would be...
false beliefs, unclear or confused thinking
:P

Still, you know what I meant. Would they say he had multiple personality disorder?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3367 on: November 11, 2015, 06:53:43 am »

Possibly? "God" is a bit of a tricky concept. In terms of Trinity doctrine, God is composed of the three persons, each of whom are God in their own right, but but exist as God alongside the other two.
There's also the matter of the... Covenant of the Trinity, or something like that, which is the theological term used to describe the idea that all three persons of the Trinity are always in perfect agreement, making any sort of disagreement an impossibility. So although the personalities are distinct, they also agree with one another. Somehow.
So in the sense of having multiple personalities, sure, but God isn't human. He's a... thing... that is beyond mortal ken. Like if Caesar, Crassus, and Pompey all fused together into Super-Emperator (and didn't keep trying to murder each other). It's kind of hard to diagnose Super-Emperator with personality disorders.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: November 11, 2015, 07:01:24 am »

Possibly? "God" is a bit of a tricky concept. In terms of Trinity doctrine, God is composed of the three persons, each of whom are God in their own right, but but exist as God alongside the other two.
There's also the matter of the... Covenant of the Trinity, or something like that, which is the theological term used to describe the idea that all three persons of the Trinity are always in perfect agreement, making any sort of disagreement an impossibility. So although the personalities are distinct, they also agree with one another. Somehow.
So in the sense of having multiple personalities, sure, but God isn't human. He's a... thing... that is beyond mortal ken. Like if Caesar, Crassus, and Pompey all fused together into Super-Emperator (and didn't keep trying to murder each other). It's kind of hard to diagnose Super-Emperator with personality disorders.
Wait...

God is composed of three elements, each of which is God.

Holy shit, God is fractal.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: November 11, 2015, 07:01:36 am »

The Super-Emperator (gotta love the term) is composed of beings that were developed separately, had separate stems as it were. God has one stem, and is one being, but has different facets. He is a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde that is in accord - that they agree, and must agree, is moot. They're still different. Even if Dr. Jekyll were to come round and decide killing people is fun, he would still be interested in science. Mr. Hyde would still be interested in the physical nature of simply killing. Both in the same body, striving towards the same goal, but different methodology and thought processes.

Of course, this is blatant anthropomorphism, but let's face it, the only way we know God is by expressing him in human terms. He "loves" us, he is "wrathful" and so on.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3370 on: November 11, 2015, 07:05:29 am »

Yeah, Super-Emperator is a poor analogy, but I wanted an excuse to say Super-Emperator.

Super-Emperator.

Holy shit, God is fractal.
Next up: Jesus is composed of three elements: Prophet, Priest, and King.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: November 11, 2015, 07:16:37 am »

And each of those has three main aspects, from sensational prophet to humble king. And each of those is made up of three main aspects, from...
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: November 11, 2015, 08:59:36 am »

The trinity doctrine says that there is one God who exists as three persons. Each of them is not the other, yet they are all God.

The best example I can think of is a marriage. A man and a women are not each other, but each are part of one flesh.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: November 11, 2015, 09:03:30 am »

Part of one flesh? I know many people who would disagree. Myself included. I may have exceedingly strong feelings for my dog, but that doesn't make us "one flesh."

Anyway, that picture doesn't make sense to me. If the son is God, and God is the Holy Spirit, then it is illogical to say that the son is not the Holy Spirit. Given they're both God, and God is both, the son is the holy spirit.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3374 on: November 11, 2015, 09:05:11 am »

Part of one flesh? I know many people who would disagree. Myself included. I may have exceedingly strong feelings for my dog, but that doesn't make us "one flesh."

You're not married to your dog.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 523