I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 663807 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: God-Proof Chariots Edition
« Reply #2955 on: September 28, 2015, 11:45:45 am »

Metaphorical language is a thing.

Of course, there will always be those people that insist that anything but literal interpretation is wrong, but those people are usualy the kind of people who wants to put people to death for adultery and disobeying their parents.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: September 28, 2015, 11:49:29 am »

Which doesn't really mean anything. If an entity capable of creating reality wants to compress several billion years into a few days time, it probably can. Or it can just bypass the lot of it and put something down over that seven days that is what would happen after several billion years of development, and let the clock tick from there. Last tuesday type stuff. And yes, I'm aware the general scenario is presented as last thursday. Screw thursday, tuesday is better.

... mind you, unless they've changed their mind while they were out, osg does believe other parts of the bible invalidates evolutionary theory, but the initial creation myth doesn't meaningfully import anything about it. Initial creation myth honestly doesn't meaningfully import much at all, especially considering there's two of them and they're at least partially contradictory.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 11:51:00 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: September 28, 2015, 02:33:42 pm »

Metaphorical language is a thing.

Of course, there will always be those people that insist that anything but literal interpretation is wrong, but those people are usualy the kind of people who wants to put people to death for adultery and disobeying their parents.
This conflict over interpretation has caused so many problems that I'm thinking the bible would have been much better off with [metaphorical][/metaphorical] tags liberal distributed throughout. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: September 28, 2015, 02:34:22 pm »

No the definition is: a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: September 28, 2015, 02:40:43 pm »

My dictionary disagrees with you.
The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods

Besides, your definition would make some branches of science a religion.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: September 28, 2015, 02:46:15 pm »

... 'course, that definition would exclude some religions, as well. S'a few branches for buddhism, ferex, that don't involve belief in a superhuman controlling power.
Ask not!
Ask!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: September 28, 2015, 02:48:33 pm »

What about the whole thing with reincarnation, and also the mystic force Karma that judges your actions and gives you consequences for them later? That sounds both pretty superhuman and controlling to me.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: September 28, 2015, 02:50:31 pm »

It's possible for words to have multiple definitions you know. (This is the english language for goodness' sake, multiple definitions is practically what we do :P)

Here's the total list of definitions from dictionary.com:
noun
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects:
the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices:
a world council of religions.
the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.:
to enter religion.
the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.
something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience:
to make a religion of fighting prejudice.
religions, Archaic. religious rites:
painted priests performing religions deep into the night.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: September 28, 2015, 02:57:15 pm »

What about the whole thing with reincarnation, and also the mystic force Karma that judges your actions and gives you consequences for them later? That sounds both pretty superhuman and controlling to me.
They're both more akin to the laws of physics than anything else. Karma doesn't so much 'judge and gives you consequences' as it is the word for the consequences of your actions later on in the cycle, which is itself not really anything but the way existence is structured.* There's no agency or whatev' behind it all, nor anything superhuman or controlling,** it's just the nature of how things work. No more mystical than cause and effect, basically, going by some of the buddhist conceptualizations of the subject.

*Much like the whole die, become worm food, fuel something else's life thing good ol' physical reality has.
**Unless you consider something like, say, a riverbank to be controlling the river -- I wouldn't, myself, since controlling tends to imply some sort of intent. You can probably word it that way, but I don't think most people would unless the bank's been artificially constructed.
Ask not!
Ask!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: September 28, 2015, 03:20:19 pm »

Yup, becoming enlightened in Buddhism isn't some appeal to a higher power, it's working on your own nature. Karma in reincarnation is being reborn as whatever matches your soul. If it was by a God then it would be subject to the whim of that particular God, and you could appeal the God-decision (as seen in some other religions where Gods are appealable to override the decision process). With Karma you are reborn as what suits you, and that's final, no appeals. And that what separates it from the idea of a god, since gods have volition. Karma is more like a hypothesized force of nature.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 03:22:51 pm by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2965 on: September 28, 2015, 03:24:03 pm »

Unless you seek help from a dead teacher who temporarily has refused freedom from samsara in order to continue teaching

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: September 28, 2015, 03:59:59 pm »

I think there's a couple buddhist denominations that don't believe in literal reincarnation either
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: October 04, 2015, 06:55:07 am »

Ok I have a religiously themed statement for discussion:

An infinite randomness is more powerful than any god put forth by mainstream religions.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: October 04, 2015, 07:42:08 am »

How can randomness be powerful in any meaningful sense of the word?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: October 04, 2015, 07:48:15 am »

I think there's a couple buddhist denominations that don't believe in literal reincarnation either

The problem or good thing with buddhism though is that if you select the right school & the right interpretation you can make it say just about anything.
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 523