Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Rebel Galaxy  (Read 26049 times)

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rebel Galaxy
« Reply #90 on: October 31, 2015, 06:59:12 am »

I'm 26 hours into this game, taking it slowly, so still early-mid game. Most of my equipment are still Mk.3 or 4.

What I learned so far:
Speed is life. Faster ships can disengage when overwhelmed and kite enemy fighters to thin down their rank. Currently in Sturville and I doubt I'd want to 'upgrade' to a Destroyer.
Neutron Cannons are awesome; decent range and great DPS. I could tear up capital ships just with this, assisted by 2 Ion Cannons and 2 Partical Lasers.
Flak Guns seem to be the best Secondary. You can drop into a cluster of fighters and tear them apart.
Beam weapons are also effective against fighters.

With all those said, Baraccuda with Tachyon Cannons + Mining Lasers build may work out too, as they have the highest DPS.

My own build is Barracuda with all mining beams, emp flak, neutron beam broadsides, and mk6 shields (shields are OP). I recently managed to reach rank 8 in the trader's guild so I now have the large guild cargo hold (+32) and also the EMP ablation. I haven't used it yet but considering that EMP is the most annoying thing for me right now when running dead drops and cargo missions, it should come in handy.

Honestly I feel like the mining beams do most of the work and they're only mk3, the emp flak is a recent drop (mk6!) and is really nice against fighters if they get close, but it doesn't seem to do anything against missiles.

Well that's if I choose to fight, nowadays I only bother if I scan some juicy component in the big capital ships.

My current strategy is to go from system to system, to the trader's guild stations and take all the most paying dead drop missions, plus a cargo haul to the next system on my list, and I'm raking in millions pretty fast. I haven't gotten any more 2 million missions but now 300k to 1 million is pretty common.

Considering that I only need to travel and that speed is my strong point, I don't think that there are faster ways to make money. Although looting and selling Mk6 equipment might also work, if not as reliably.

Edit : =) I just got a mk6 antimatter drive from a korian invader... it's only 233M/s vs 220M/s for the plasma one, but it's a nice feeling to have the best engine ^^
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 08:12:21 am by Sirian »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2015, 11:55:14 am »

Currently in Sturville and I doubt I'd want to 'upgrade' to a Destroyer.

I finished the game with it actually. I saw no point in grinding up to a Destroyer after I could kill two Militia Battlemasters by myself.
It's a really good ship - I bet with the Turning Radius Upgrade thingy it could be even better to fly!

Edit : =) I just got a mk6 antimatter drive from a korian invader... it's only 233M/s vs 220M/s for the plasma one, but it's a nice feeling to have the best engine ^^

The Korians are the one who shoot green lasers? Their lasers are the best I saw, but I only dropped an MK3 one. They are like a mix between the Mining Beam and Particle Beam, with great damage and 100% shield penetration.
Too bad it was too hard to get that drop. Still, I didn't spend much time hunting for them.

A tip is that you can just fly around a sector, and once you find a group of enemies, you can scan them and check cargo and bounty. Especially cargo if you're hunting for components.
I took too long to realize that enemies just drop what's on that list, and there's no random chance of it dropping it's actual equipment (unless I was unlocky throughout the whole game) - so fighting no bounty/no gear enemy is a waste of time/money  :P.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2015, 12:11:27 am »

A tip is that you can just fly around a sector, and once you find a group of enemies, you can scan them and check cargo and bounty. Especially cargo if you're hunting for components.
I took too long to realize that enemies just drop what's on that list, and there's no random chance of it dropping it's actual equipment (unless I was unlocky throughout the whole game) - so fighting no bounty/no gear enemy is a waste of time/money  :P.

Yea I noticed that too, actually you can sorta cheat with it (savescum), for instance if you see a pirate lord on the map, you can save by exiting to title, and then go find the pirate lord. If he doesn't have what you want, just alt+f4 or suicide and reload, and the next time you find him it has a good chance of having a different loot.

That's how I found that the same enemy in the same sector can drop mk4 gear one time and mk6 the next.

Right now though, more than the green beam I'm hoping to loot the weird Viriax beam (I'm not sure if it can drop, but I had a Viriax MIRV missile once).

Edit: I just found a viridian laser and I don't really get what the fuss is about, except for the range it doesn't seem better than a mining laser, both charge and reload times are higher and the shield damage is worse, while the damage value is only slightly better than the mining beam.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 10:30:01 am by Sirian »

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2015, 04:43:17 pm »

It fires for 3 seconds compared to the 1 second with the mining laser.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2015, 05:16:24 pm »

So i got the large dred (the one with 20 main guns and 16 turrets.

So naturally... i made a pure scatter turret build.
As in fit every turret slot with scatter turrets and trierd to kill things with them.

It shreded anything smaller than a destroyer but couldn't hurt dreads as theyt regenerated shields faster than the scatters could hurt them. They still look epic tho. Like something out of a star wars movie.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2015, 05:22:51 pm »

I'm posting to watch.  I felt more than a bit singed after Starsector and again after Starpoint Gemini, so I won't be picking it up on a whim, but Sonlirain's summary of the differences from SG2 seems interesting enough to pay attention to where it goes. 

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 01, 2015, 05:54:34 pm »

I'm posting to watch.  I felt more than a bit singed after Starsector and again after Starpoint Gemini, so I won't be picking it up on a whim, but Sonlirain's summary of the differences from SG2 seems interesting enough to pay attention to where it goes.
Eh dunno Starsector is still a good game. The development takes ages moreso than DF.
Starpoint Gemini... well RG is closest to that. I'd say the combat is more enjoyable because in SG all you ever did was set turrets on autofire and... well did nothing really.
But at the same time RL lacks longevity. I was really expecting it to have more main and side missions and as is it ends... kinda abruptly really.

So know this RG is not aiming at having a living breathing world like Starsector and if SG disapointed you in that regard... well then... you are probably better off waiting for SPAZ2 or the next Starsector patch.
Self promotion below.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 01, 2015, 08:46:15 pm »

Yea the game is quite small, there are only a handful of systems and they are all very similar. There is a bit of variety in the missions but you still end up mostly going from point a to point b while killing stuff. Granted, for a game made by a team of 2 people, it's quite good, but don't expect Freelancer.

The game also has good aesthetics and a memorable soundtrack, still I wouldn't recommend it unless you were starved for spaceships, and then it would be just a snack.

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2015, 02:08:44 pm »

So i've been dabbling in this, i've saved up 205k and still in the default ship so i think it's time for an upgrade. I was thinking of buying the ship that costs ~190k(could have been 172k, not at a station which sells it atm though) it's a frigate listed as FAST/FAST, is that a good idea? or should i look for something else, i don't mind saving more cash up. I'm still in the starter system too and just got spoken too for the 1st time by that Reliquary girl as i exited the station.
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2015, 02:22:58 pm »

IIRC, no value is lost when buying or selling a ship. So feel free to experiment. You can change without cost if you don't like it.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 11, 2015, 05:14:30 am »

Yea the game is quite small, there are only a handful of systems and they are all very similar. There is a bit of variety in the missions but you still end up mostly going from point a to point b while killing stuff. Granted, for a game made by a team of 2 people, it's quite good, but don't expect Freelancer.

The game also has good aesthetics and a memorable soundtrack, still I wouldn't recommend it unless you were starved for spaceships, and then it would be just a snack.
It always confuses why people like Freelancer so much. Or at least, how Freelancer's version of "warp to place, kill everything dead" is better. Disclaimer: I do like Freelancer.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 11, 2015, 05:45:17 am »

The main reason why I liked Freelancer : It was fun.
OK, it was simple and a bit brainless, but it was fun, nonetheless. The controls were really good, especially as I didn't want to buy a joystick to play a single game/genre. the multiplayer was great too, with big servers hosting nice mods (I bought it long after it came out, and there were still players online).

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 11, 2015, 08:23:35 pm »

Freelancer had a pretty big universe, distinct cultures and great combat, particularly for its time. I remember enjoying the story missions quite a bit, as well.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 27, 2015, 03:20:35 pm »

It always confuses why people like Freelancer so much. Or at least, how Freelancer's version of "warp to place, kill everything dead" is better. Disclaimer: I do like Freelancer.

Freelancer was garbage, and X-3 blew it away in every aspect. Freelancer is basically X-3 Arcade mode, which is garbage.

As to the OP...

No idea where you're getting Pirates! from this. It doesn't appear to be like Pirates! other than the fact that you move around a map.

2-D plane in a space game=shit game.

The combat system is wacky and I kind of like it. It's -different-, so I gotta give it some props.

The graphics are decent enough, although I never factor that into a critique.

Overall: 5/10, would pirate, would not buy.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 27, 2015, 07:35:21 pm »

Eh i personally found the 2D plane likable. It has the freelancer malus of being... pretty dead all things considered.
It's main problem is a tragic lack of content. A couple side mission (like what? 4?) A short campaign (elongated only by the need to grind for newer weapons and ships) in a rather meaninglessly randomized universe (trading is not really the way in this game. You are generally better off doing traders guild missions and smash through pirate blockades rather than trying to buy low and sell high)

And once you finish the campaigh and get the largest ship you might as well uninstal the game because there is no challenge to be had anymore...
Self promotion below.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9