Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Rebel Galaxy  (Read 26052 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: Rebel Galaxy
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2015, 02:42:55 am »

If you have trouble with fighter swarms, get a good booster and anti-matter missile thingy in a rear turret. Then fire one for area damage, boost away and repeat. It is grindy and fast fighters can still overtake you, but a good way to cut down Kovian swarms to size etc before engaging them properly.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2015, 04:26:53 am »

I just put two flak turrets on the side and fighters seem to melt. EMP flak is also a great secondary for fighters as it stuns them.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2015, 04:51:30 am »

If you have trouble with fighter swarms, get a good booster and anti-matter missile thingy in a rear turret. Then fire one for area damage, boost away and repeat. It is grindy and fast fighters can still overtake you, but a good way to cut down Kovian swarms to size etc before engaging them properly.

Goodness that is actually something in real life. I forgot its exact name.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2015, 04:51:52 am »

I tend to fight turret-heavy and not really even use main guns, tho, so my turrets are all capable of hurting capital ships. I just tend to drive in circles around them to share the damage to all my shields and let the turrets do the blasting. Neutron beams are nice, tho.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2015, 04:52:28 am »

Goodness that is actually something in real life. I forgot its exact name.

Parthian shot?

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2015, 12:31:57 pm »

What I've been doing is using two particle lasers on the sides, a flak and a pulse. Both lasers can hit when point at a fighter, so they instantly die.
Not effective for bigger ships, but was doable back in second-sector-tier.

Last time I played I bought the Mercenary Guild's Frigate. Until I jumped into a new sector, I was killing everything with the Ramming Deflector and didn't even use broadsides.
In the new sector it's not that easy anymore, though, and a new ramming deflector is 1.5mil.
However, most missions are worth 150+ atm. Upgrading to a Frigate simply doubled the average mission payout.

I get it that this game get repetitive, though. If you like all the activities, it probably isn't that noticeable. But since I only really enjoy combat, it can feel grindy quickly.
But getting risky missions make up for it. The ones that tell you to join a battle between two of your enemies and kill both are particularly chaotic and funny.
Using the ramming to bulldoze one faction into another, then cutting through both never gets old.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2015, 12:51:27 pm »

I'm still in the first sector, but I'm really happy with the Icarus mounted with 4 mining turrets. Those mining beams are really melting through everything even though it's only the mk1 version. Since the ship is really fast, I can catch up to anything and burn them down with the beams. I also have tachyon broadsides but they aren't doing half the damage of the beams.

By the way, thanks for the mining tutorial, I made most of my money mining ice fields, they are really lucrative, most of them have pure water, diamonds, salt, etc.. whereas normal asteroid fields only have a couple good asteroids and even those are mostly obtainum.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2015, 04:30:14 pm »

Yeah normal roids kinda suck.
Altho even a plain startoid has a chance of droping something good... but the chance is just so low it's not even worth it unless you REALLY like cleaning every field.
But it's just so inefficient.

Also ice asteropids seem to be bugged for now. The fault tracker won't work properly on them and seems to not affect the yield at all meanwhile if you blast a blue/gray asteroid yith a mining laser in a vulnerable spot you will easely get double or triple the loot.
Then again it might just be that their drops are more expensive in general because outside of diamonds and rare artifacts everything droping from an ice asteroid is more worthwhile tyhan what usually drops from blue/grey rocks.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2015, 08:15:10 am »

Yeah normal roids kinda suck.
Altho even a plain startoid has a chance of droping something good... but the chance is just so low it's not even worth it unless you REALLY like cleaning every field.
But it's just so inefficient.

Also ice asteropids seem to be bugged for now. The fault tracker won't work properly on them and seems to not affect the yield at all meanwhile if you blast a blue/gray asteroid yith a mining laser in a vulnerable spot you will easely get double or triple the loot.
Then again it might just be that their drops are more expensive in general because outside of diamonds and rare artifacts everything droping from an ice asteroid is more worthwhile tyhan what usually drops from blue/grey rocks.

No the fault tracker works fine, you can actually scan the asteroids beforehand if you're close enough, you switch to turrets and use tab+click. You'll see what's inside in the "cargo" section just like scanning a ship. This way you can see that most of the gray-blue asteroids have 2-5 obtainum and most ice asteroids have 1 salt/water/diamond. I think that if you don't use the fault tracker you lose whatever extra but as long as it's only 1 item you don't need to aim at the faults. And yea sometimes normal asteroids have 1 obtainum or maybe even 1 gold, but it's not worth the hassle. I still mine all the ice asteroids but I just don't loot the metal, this way if I end up in the same ice field I won't lose time on them a second time.

I think that the blue-gray asteroids are the only one with the really good drops though, like artifacts, antimatter specks and so on, but I might be wrong.

Oh also about the swarms, they got me the first time but after a shield upgrade I just circled them spamming flak and broadsides while my turrets took care of the rest and it was quickly over.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 08:58:58 am by Sirian »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2015, 08:57:35 am »

There are other asteroid types but those are rare hard to break and will sometimes contain an antimatter speck. Didn't stray too far into those sectors but i'm sure Precursor relics face of Gozu and other fun stuff probably droips frrom "high tier" asteroids as well.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2015, 09:00:34 am »

There are other asteroid types but those are rare hard to break and will sometimes contain an antimatter speck. Didn't stray too far into those sectors but i'm sure Precursor relics face of Gozu and other fun stuff probably droips frrom "high tier" asteroids as well.

Oh ok that makes sense.

On another note, I just took a gamble and accepted a 2million mission for the merchant's guild in the second system, the threat level was extreme and it was a dead drop. On site, there were two groups of ships way over my current ability to handle, they kept using emp to mess with my drive and they were spewing very dangerous looking green beams... so i just used my booster (null grav mk3) to avoid them. Thanks to my above level shields and superior speed from the Icarus, I snatched the dead drop, said a prayer for my merc (rip Skiza), and got the fuck out of there. Result : 2 million more on my bank account, basically tripling my net worth and not a scratch on my ship. =D awesome -and time for a ship upgrade I guess... maybe I can use the Barracuda and try to do something like that again ^^
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 09:02:22 am by Sirian »

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2015, 09:06:51 am »

Regarding net worth; I think the game counts the danger level based on your net worth. So if you have a lot of cash (saving for new, expensive ship) beware. The game will tell you that something is "average" danger level because you are worth, say, six millions and it would be average for six-million worth ship. However, you have only equipment and ship worth two millions... and that is a different matter entirely.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 09:20:30 am by Majestic7 »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2015, 10:20:01 am »

I think it's based on the net worth of the ship, not counting the money you have on the account.

Also, I noticed Traders Guild missions can be really OP, meanwhile you have to grind a lot on Mercs.

Goddamn traders always getting the better cuts. I should start killing them too. Then running their missions.  :P
And the Icarus is a really good ship. The Frigate afterwards is just a bigger Icarus.

I still want to get back to playing and progressing the storyline.

And seriously, will someone please try the ramming deflectors and tell me if it changes your life as it did mine?  :P
My suggestion is: get a deflector at least 1 tier above from the system you're at, otherwise it makes things harder than it should. A Mk4 is a decent one, because Mk3 and below are too slow to recharge.
Also, does anyone know what is the max guild rank, and what are the rewards? I got Rank 10 on Mercs and I think the unlocks are the fastest Frigates, Destroyer and maybe other ships I haven't seen yet.

EDIT: I just found that Traders unlock ships and special cargo extension upgrade, and Mercs unlock ships and [some?] components like the a broadside subsystem upgrade.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 10:27:41 am by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2015, 10:43:45 am »

Dunno, I got very lucky and looted an advanced weapon worth whopping two millions and sold it. I immediately noticed that difficulty levels for missions changed and I started getting my ass kicked in average missions.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2015, 11:06:38 am »

Dunno, I got very lucky and looted an advanced weapon worth whopping two millions and sold it. I immediately noticed that difficulty levels for missions changed and I started getting my ass kicked in average missions.

Really ? I'm having the opposite issue, now that I have upgraded my ship and spent most of my 2 millions, I can't find another good mission, I checked the trader outposts in most systems and they all give me the same low level kinda crap that rewards between 50k to 150k =(

Guess it's time to get back to the main story.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9