Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Dark Flame [mostly-text suggestion game, dungeon crawl]  (Read 12609 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Flame [mostly-text suggestion game, dungeon crawl]
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2015, 07:38:25 pm »

"I suppose the troublemaker needs healing. Why did he attack you? "

Heal the nutter.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

0player

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2015, 01:39:47 pm »

You attend to the guy lying on the ground. Murmuring crowd seems to avoid him, whether of fear or disgust.
Thankfully, his wounds are nothing serious. You are not able to fix the chaotic burn on his chest (that has totally ruined his purple robe), but all other injuries heal really well. You restore 3 HP to the Troublemaker.
"Hey!" a mild slap on the face. "Hey. Wake up, you git."
The troublemaker opens his eyes slowly. "Wha... what happened?"
"Well, you zapped me in the back and then blew yourself up!" Cogi seems to be standing firmly on his legs now, that's good.
"I... don't remeber anything. Who are all these people?"
He seems to be in a really bad shape. You decide to take matters in your hands.
(Persuasion 1d22→6 + 1 Leadership = 7. Failure.)
"Look," you tell to the crowd, "I'll deal with it."
The guide glares at you coldly. "I don't know about your homeland, but we do not take lightly to those who assault people under our responsibility. Once he's feeling better, he is going to be in some trouble."
Cogi tries to salvage the situation. "Look, I don't really hold anything against him. He mostly hurt himself."
(Persuasion 1d20→7 - 4 Distrust = 3. Failure.)
"This is by chance", the guide replies irritated. "This is chaos magic, I recognize it; for all I know, he might've blown the whole group into the Ars."
(Perception 1d20→20! Lucky Punk!)
You hear a young female voice in the crowd quietly gasp, "Chaos magic?"
You are able to pinpoint the source of voice exactly: it's a Va'er girl, sporting a leather vest with a shiny golden badge on it. You are someohow able to read the badge, which says "Dr. Fateburn's Private School of Martial Arts: Student of the Year." Fancy, and the last name of the guy seems oddly familiar.
(Eye Contact 1d20→17 + 1 Leadership = 18! Success!)
You nod to the girl and see excitement in her eyes. She steps forward from the crowd.
"Leave the guy alone," she says, "he clearly had no idea what he is doing."
(1d26→19 - 8 Distrust = 11. Success.)
The guide's face shows some doubt. "Yes, I suppose that's true," he admits begrudgingly. "Take him to the carriage, and we'll make it back to the city. Whether he's out of his mind or not, I don't want him to be my problem."
You feel a rush of thankfulness towards The Stranger.

Halpalo Chlaena: title unlocked: Perceptive: auto-success on Perception rolls with bonus +3 or more.
Settumas Lato: title unlocked: Troublemaker: critical failures in near vicinity heal 1 HP.
Connection established: The Stranger.
Connection established: The Guide.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 02:37:20 pm by 0player »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2015, 02:20:06 pm »

Take him to the carriage, then...

"Alright, git, why did you attack the bloke?"

0player

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2015, 06:20:30 am »

While the vote is (presumably) up, I inform that I've finished work on comprehensive & short talent descriptions which you can now enjoy in the first reply post. Additional details about talents (how they behave in borderline situations, mainly) are unlocked by stumbling upon said situations.
You are welcome to make a good read of your favourite character's not one, but TWO completely overpowered abilities!

0player

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2015, 09:12:01 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The carriage took off back to the city. Thankfully, it was the last point in the trip anyway, so you won't be missing out.
The troublemaker, although very weak, made it inside and manages to sit upright. Now would be a good time for an interrogation.
He looks estranged. No wonder.
"So," you begin, "would you kindly explain your spontaneous assault?"
(Communication 1d20→14 + 5 Preparation - 1 Wil = 18! Success!)
He lowers his voice to the hushed tone: "well, you see, I'm on the run. I thought that guy was an enforcer after me."
Oh great, you're going to be counted as in cahoots with a criminal now.
"Did you kill someone or what?"
"What? No!" he almost shouts, surprised. "I stole a top-secret document. Then I got caught, so I kind of... spontaneously conjured a good measure of acid. Right in the archives. Stopped them for a moment but now they are after me for ruining a whole bookshelf. Oh, and stealing a secret, I suppose."
He catches a quick breath. "So now I'm on the run. First hid in the Mieta, now running across Elins like crazy. Don't even know why this stupid journal is so important to them."
He turns to Cogi. "Sorry again for all that... exploding in your face and stuff. I'm the overreacting kind sometimes. ...name's Settumas. Yours?"

0player

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2015, 05:59:14 pm »

After some time, your little circle exchanges names and stories full out. Turns out Setta, as you immediately nickname him, is a pretty nice pal to hang around with. He shows you the book that his fuss was about – it's titled in one of the Earthen languages, it seems, but the letters are inscrutable to you. From the structure, it seems to be an illustrated encyclopedia of some sorts. Why is it such a big deal?
Cogi is excited by Setta's idea of exploring beyond the Wall. Birds of the feather flock together, you guess. Ah well. You got nothing better to do anyway.
You decide to set off the next day, after having packed enough provisions to sustain you all for about 8 days – or whatever passes for days in this twilight. You still think it's a dangerous endeavor, but these two won't listen.
Really amazing what a little strife can do for men's friendship.

Everything works out better than expected. The guide (her name is Lirin Nore Curuni, she's from Scythe and has the cutest ears on this damned planet, you swear) didn't have enough tourists, so she agreed to give you a free ride to the Wall. She might have or might have not mumbled something about "lunatics", but that's beyond the point.
When you arrive at the place, Setta instantly gets interested in the lying pillar. He discovers a writing on the side.
Spoiler: The writing (click to show/hide)
You take a mental note ofit for the future.
Behind the pillar, you discover a girl hiding. It's that hard-boiled college student from yesterday, you recognize.
She explains that she saw you on the bus stop and decided to follow. Uh huh. That's not creepy at all.
(Communication 1d20→20! Lucky Punk!)/[color]
She offers to enchant your sword as a sign of her good intentions. You are so amused by her offer, youactually accept her right in.
She doesn't look like a kind of big eater anyway, and an enchanted sword is kind of nice. Maybe she'll help with keeping the boys in line.
Spoiler: Short Party List (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: GM Questions (click to show/hide)

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2015, 06:17:47 pm »

Ask the girl her name and what her skills are, also examine the area

Spoiler: Answers (click to show/hide)
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2015, 08:55:03 pm »

Ask the girl her name and what her skills are, also examine the area
+1

((Same answer as Kassire))
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 09:22:20 pm by Pencil_Art »

0player

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Flame [mostly-text suggestion game]: puzzling crawl
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2015, 11:33:08 pm »

Girl's name turns out to be Halashernasta or something to that extent. You're not sure. She speaks really fast. You're just going to call her Hala.
She says she's capable of enchanting weapons (which you see already on your sword. So sparkly!) and punching stuff to death with "the shadow of Death itself", whatever it means. She doesn't really seem that reliable, but she's a nice gal. Even though you may feel dangerous around her.
She's from that college, she says. Where they teach people to enchant stuff, including your own hands. "You got any enchanting wire on you," she asks. "I can try to make something with it while I'm feeling a bit less exhausted."
Setta happens to have. Well, hopefully they won't blow anything up.
Meanwhile, Cogi looks at a door.
"Seems like a puzzle lock", he says. "One of those ferryman puzzles. Symbolic for such a door, I guess."
"What's it about?" you enquire.
"Well, you got stuff on one side and you want to drag it onto the other side. By some rules. I'll toy around with it."
(HIDDEN 1d20 → Critical Success! (of some sort.))
"Well, seems really easy to me. The caret won't move without an arrow-shaped stone in it. Also it won't move if I leave one of the stones with three runes on the side where they meet with one of the secondary runes but not the primary one. Seems to be like each of those is guarded by a big rune against other big runes."
He toys around some more.
"Well, I kind of got stuck on it. If you press this wavey rune on the caret, it does all you did in reverse. Wanna try your hand at it?"
Spoiler: Puzzle Depiction (click to show/hide)

Meanwhile, Setta and Hala return from the north. The road seems to be old; it leads to nowhere. It's just you, The Wall, and the bus that is coming somewhat later.
Well, unless you want to ravage the wastes or something.
What will you do?

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Flame [mostly-text suggestion game]: puzzling crawl
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2015, 11:40:57 pm »

"Well, seems really easy to me. The caret won't move without an arrow-shaped stone in it. Also it won't move if I leave one of the stones with three runes on the side where they meet with one of the secondary runes but not the primary one. Seems to be like each of those is guarded by a big rune against other big runes."

((Wait, what?!? I really want to figure this puzzle out but that's just confusing for me.))

0player

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2015, 12:01:23 am »

((Heh, sorry. Three-runes tile has to have either no big runes on its side, or have the big rune that's in the lower left corner of it (possibly more). Note how that's the only one non-mirrored on them.))

0player

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2015, 01:33:50 am »

((To clarify, Pencil_Art, is that understandable? I can redo the picture if that's too obscure.))

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2015, 02:30:53 am »

((I get it. Thanks))
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 02:45:45 am by Pencil_Art »

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2015, 02:45:58 am »

((Actually, can you put another arrow-shaped stone in the square slot? And does the caret have to be above something to pick it up?))

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2015, 10:49:07 am »

((I don't quite get it, but I'm remarkably poor at puzzles. ))
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7