Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: Outpost: Exodus [Suggestion Game] : Update 14  (Read 23491 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Update 2
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2015, 09:38:34 am »

Update 2
March, 2049.  Peary Base, Moon. 

Quote from: Orders
Construction :
    - Slot 1 : Expanded Superstructure                       [57]
    - Slot 2 : Atmospheric Flight Conversion                [67]
    - Slot 3 : Damage Control and Machine Shop          [66]

Cargo Orders : (I left this blank, in case you guys wanted to change anything based upon the new travel information)

Research: Compact Cryo-systems [30]

High above the moon's surface, in the solitude of one of the last remaining orbital shipyards the frame of the SSN discovery is slowly taking shape. Pylons and beams are attached to the frame of the craft, to allow space for the facilities needed for it's expanded mission requirements. Careful consideration are made to balance the ship correctly, ensuring that it will remain stable both in space, and in a wide range of plausible atmospheres. Fabrication of maneuvering thrusters, as well as other carefully considered design elements has commenced, and will be ready to allow installation after the internals of the ship are finished. The first of these modules has already arrived, with the Damage Control and Machine Workshop carefully placed within the frame of the craft.

Planet side, research is progressing less well than expected. With deadlines closing in, scientists didn't find sufficient time to optimize the cryopods. They do, however, make an alternative suggestion. The mass-manufactured Ark cryo-pods are smaller and more efficient than the custom-made pods intended for the outpost mission. This is primarily realized by equipping the pods with centralized, rather than individualized support systems, and placing the crew members in deep cryo. A drawback of this is that defrosting the humans within takes significantly longer; whereas normal cryosystems can awaken someone within a month, or even a week with constant supervision, this system would take at least 3 months.

[Unlocked] : Ark Cryopods. (25 people) Cost 15 RU Size: 5 units, Mass 10 units. Electricity : 5 MW

[15] Random event : With the pace of the mission now rapidly picking up, it's time to select the passengers of the Ark vessel. Unfortunately, that has become a politically contentious issue, with both the Lunar governement, and the nations of Earth squabelling over places, or in some cases being unwilling to give up important scientists, engineers and other qualified personnel. So far, the general public is mostly unaware of these issues, but the problem needs to be solved now rather than later.

Even though the final size of the Ark vessel isn't known yet, hundred of thousands of people will need to be screened, tested and (if they make the cut) frozen and shipped to the lunar base to await being loaded into the ship. The Lunar government, as the primary sponsor of the Outpost project, proposes to limit the selection to Luna, Earth's outer space territories, and invited experts. They argue that the smaller population would be much more manageable, while still offering sufficient choice, and that common culture and adventurous spirit would be highly benevolent for the new settlement. A benefit/problem might be that most of the people who would be working on the ship, would also be it's passengers.

The Nations of Earth argue that each nation should be allowed to choice it's own representatives aboard the ark, thus ensuring a fair and varied, as well as competent crew, rather than just being a lifeboat just for the Lunar people.  This is, due to the huge population difference between the Earth and the moon (9 billion versus a few hundred thousand) a less popular notion on Luna.
The last option is obviously random drawing , an option which though fair, is not well loved with either Luna and Earth.

Turn 2 status: April-June 2049

Resources: 242 RU.
Starship: SSN Discovery
Total Size: 80 units
Structural mass: 10 units.

Installed components:
1 Optronic Autopilot.  Size 1 , mass 1 .  - 5 MW. (Fully automated Control Center)
1 Damage Control & machine shop. Cost 3 RU. Size 4. Mass 2. Electricity 1 MW

Installed modifications:
Expanded Superstructure   Size -30 , Mass 15
Atmospheric flight conversion. Size 5 , Mass 15

Total mass: 43 units.
Free space: 70 units.
Required power: 6 MW
Maximum power output: 0 MW
Total fuel:
Fuel remaining at destination:

Destination: Epsilon Eridani
Flight time: unknown.

Recommended launch date: January 2050.
Eleventh hour: March 2050
Full storm : July 2050

Action :
Construction Orders :
    - Slot 1 :
    - Slot 2 :
    - Slot 3 :

Cargo Orders :

Research :

Event Choice : Ark Crew

A) Settlers drawn from humanities extraterrestrial settlements and colonies + invited experts from Earth
    B) Settlers chosen by Lunar and Terran governments
    C) Random draft
    D) Other

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost: Exodus [Suggestion Game] : Update one
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2015, 11:51:38 am »

I really do not think we can afford to take bots on the ship, that is why we take the bot factory, build them on site, each bot team is 3 times the expense and the same size/weight as the factory.

As for research I am proposing something more long term, a biodiversity bank.  The GM seed bank is good, but if we want to recreate an earth-like biome, even in domes, we will need everything from microbes to mice. 

The idea is to cryo freeze hundreds of small animals, from across the globe, along with microbial life/fungus, a more diverse sample of plants and DNA samples from a much wider amount of earth life.

We could even work in tandem with the earth government, as they should REALLY be doing something similar for their underground vaults.

It might even help to promote the idea that even if we work in different directions we have the same goal.

I kinda want to offer places on the ship to earthlings who can get us more resources *evil grin*.

For the outpost crew, We are looking at 5-10 years awake for each personnel do we want one team for in flight and a second for acting on the surface?  Ether way we need people in their early to mid twenties, thirty at the oldest for senior personnel.

The Ark colonists should concentrate on small family groups from both earth and lunar.

My proposal for life support and crew cryo would be:
larger Closed Loop Life Support /w hydroponics (10 awake persons and 100 cryo sleep)
Recreational Commons
2 Cryogenic pods Mk II (20 persons) for ship crew
2 Ark Cryopods. (25 Persons) for initial outpost crew

The alternative is to get a biodome for the awake people and an oxygen scrubber for the cryo people.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost: Exodus [Suggestion Game] : Update two
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2015, 03:09:49 pm »

Well, sounds good, but we'll need to expand for all that.

So, Build orders are:
1)expanded superstructure(again)
2)Small He-3 IF generator, and
3)Closed Loop Habitation
Cargo Orders:Ore Processor, Bot Assembly, Hydroponics

Research:Life Sciences Lab(a combination of Void's idea and a full on genetics research lab able to crank out any plant or animal that may fit our needs. Should include automation where possible and full environmental isolation)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2015, 03:28:40 pm »

Construction Orders :
    - Slot 1 : expanded superstructure
    - Slot 2 : Cryogenic pods Mk II (2 of em if we can make both at once)
    - Slot 3 : Size 8 Closed Loop Habitation

Cargo Orders :Ore Processor, Bot Assembly, Hydroponics

Research : More reliable He-3 MCF Fusion generator

Event Choice : Settlers chosen by Lunar and Terran governments
Offer wealthy and powerful individuals a place if they can get us more funding.

The MCF Fusion generator is cheaper, lighter, more fuel efficient and can have its fuel consumption lowered if we don't need all the power.

The Biodiversity Bank/Life Sciences Lab should be part of the second larger ship.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 12:04:37 pm by VoidSlayer »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2015, 03:54:58 pm »

I was more thinking we should go for a compromise with the event. have settlers chosen by lot(with the first 15-20% weighted to useful skills) and have the command team(i.e. the people who'll stay awake) comprised of representatives from all worlds/nations(also chosen by lot)

Other than that, though, that condensed build order looks good(and I forgot it was the best engine not the best generator that takes 12 months), so +1
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 03:59:55 pm by tryrar »
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2015, 08:49:16 pm »

How about this?

On SSN Discovery: Multinational, mainly by merit, but try to keep a 1:1 ratio (so no side can easily outnumber another). We are not going to let nationality ruin the crucial part of the mission.
On the Ark: Maybe something like this?
10%: By merit, about 4:6 ratio
20%: To be determined by the Lunarians government
30%: To be determined by the earthlings government
40%: General Populace, by lot. Keeping a 4:6 ratio

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2015, 09:16:46 pm »

How about this?

On SSN Discovery: Multinational, mainly by merit, but try to keep a 1:1 ratio (so no side can easily outnumber another). We are not going to let nationality ruin the crucial part of the mission.
On the Ark: Maybe something like this?
10%: By merit, about 4:6 ratio
20%: To be determined by the Lunarians government
30%: To be determined by the earthlings government
40%: General Populace, by lot. Keeping a 4:6 ratio
Now that is something I can get behind +1!

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2015, 09:32:29 pm »

Also need to make sure we have people with good genes on board. Maybe?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2015, 09:47:12 pm »

I propose making the 20% Lunar government choice as Lunar government + extraterrestrial settlements' choice.
Clarify extra criteria for the 30% Earth-choice. We don't need 30% of the population as politicians because they assumed we have our scientists/engineers from the 10%-by-merit folks.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2015, 09:49:21 pm »

Also need to make sure we have people with good genes on board. Maybe?
I'm pretty sure that's part of the pre-screening 10ebbor mentioned

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2015, 12:12:12 am »

I assume that the project need some cooperation from the Earthlings' to proceed; the 30% figure is exactly there to stop them from backstabbing us.

Of course, they can brag all they want, they can play their game of pretending to be in power. But at the end of their journey they are without most of their supporters anyway. They need to learn to live as honest folk fast or they will have to perish.

Oh and there should of course be genetic tests for defects, and I guess except the 10% by merit part of the ark population they should be aged somewhere between 18 and 35, just to make sure they will not become a social burden too soon.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2015, 09:23:40 am »

After reading the other threads, I'm switching my vote back to the rugged IF generator; that thing was durable to the point of being indestructible, and we need to keep in mind we won't be able to shut it off completely once we turn it on until we can get an alternate power source up, so we can't run extensive maintenance on it. Though, if we manage to make an MCF generator as rugged as an IF, then my objection is moot, so I'm also holding off on a Life Sciences lab(which definitely should be on the Ark ship) amd switching research to Second Generation MCF Fusion Plants(with the goal to simply increase reliability to on par with IF generators), and if this research is successful removing my objections to an MCF plant. In fact, would it be possible to order 2(one installed on the ship and one as a kit for the colony)?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 09:25:19 am by tryrar »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2015, 12:00:41 pm »

After reading the other threads, I'm switching my vote back to the rugged IF generator; that thing was durable to the point of being indestructible, and we need to keep in mind we won't be able to shut it off completely once we turn it on until we can get an alternate power source up, so we can't run extensive maintenance on it. Though, if we manage to make an MCF generator as rugged as an IF, then my objection is moot, so I'm also holding off on a Life Sciences lab(which definitely should be on the Ark ship) amd switching research to Second Generation MCF Fusion Plants(with the goal to simply increase reliability to on par with IF generators), and if this research is successful removing my objections to an MCF plant. In fact, would it be possible to order 2(one installed on the ship and one as a kit for the colony)?

I seriously doubt we will need a second fusion generator once we are on planet, between wind, solar and other power generation.  We need to build most of what we will use there, also the colony ship will need a generator which can be re purposed after the cryo pods are turned off.

Otherwise I agree with the making the MCF more reliable.  Changing my vote.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Update 2
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2015, 03:03:42 pm »

Update 3
June, 2049.  Peary Base, Moon. 

Quote from: Orders
Construction :
    - Slot 1 : Expanded Superstructure
    - Slot 2 : Cryogenic Pods Mk II*2 [Hidden Roll]
    - Slot 3 : Large Closed Loop

Cargo Orders : Ore Processor, Bot Assembly, Hydroponics

Event Choice :  (Effects Hidden)
  - 10%: By merit, about 4:6 ratio
  - 20%: To be determined by the Lunarians government
  - 30%: To be determined by the earthlings government
  - 40%: General Populace, by lot. Keeping a 4:6 ratio

- Research: Improved MCF Fusion [60]

Deciding that the spacecraft isn't yet big enough, you order the engineers to add another extension to the structural frame of the craft. The craft is now more than twice as big as it originally was, though some are now wondering what you intend to do with all this open space. Concurrently, lunar engineers are working day and night to install the two cryobays, and hook them up to the life support unit. The foreman happily reports that, despite the workload, progress was faster than expected, and that there were only a few minor flaws were discovered and quickly resolved.

Meanwhile, factories also prepare an ore Processor, Hydroponics and Bot assembly line. The crates roll of production lines on the moon and Earth, are statis-gelled, packed in vaccuum rated crates and transported to the Peary base, where they'll wait in the warehouse until they can be loaded into a cargo bay, following it's installation.

Research progresses well, and though there's to little experience with the MCF designs to really resolve problematic areas, scientists and engineers intend to compensate for such problems by generally including redundant systems and additional securities. Though all these systems do make the design a bit more bulky and expensive than the Inertial systems, it retains it's higher fuel efficiency and power output compared to the basic design.

He-3 MCF Fusion generator /w external radiators Mk.2. 15 / 40 RU. Size 8 / 25. Mass 5 / 15. Generates 75 / 150 MW. Uses 0.75/1.25 Fuel/year. Redundant Safety Systems. Warning! Advanced technology, major components not in storage. Time to build functional unit: 6 / 9 months.  Can run at anywhere from 50% output/fuel-use to the listed levels.

Random Event: [86] With the Particle storm coming ever closer, Earth's outer space territories as well as non-essential moon settlements are being evacuated. Equipment and infrastructure is salvaged as much as possible, but with proper political persuasion, perhaps some equipment could be diverted to us instead of somewhere else.

- A ) Interstellar Communication Laser : "A system originally intended to be installed on this vessel, though it was never finished. Nevertheless, with most of the structural parts implace, it should be installable with minimal (5 RU) expenses and effort"
   - B ) Survey sattelite : "Intended for scientific research of Venus, this satellite was left in the warehouse after the Discovery was made. It should be adequate for our needs. "
   - C ) Lunar Crawler Miner : "A prototype design, much smaller than the massive He-3 harvesters, this crawler was intended to be multinational, allowing it to harvest materials, as well as executing limited digging and construction works.  Finishing it will cost 10 RU.  Size 10, Mass 8. Can be left in auto or manned by 2 people."
   - D ) Other [Do note, if your request is denied, you might simply end up with nothing]

Turn 3 status: July-September 2049

Resources: 127 RU.
Starship: SSN Discovery
Total Size: 110 units
Structural mass: 10 units.

Installed components:
1 Optronic Autopilot.  Size 1 , mass 1 .  - 5 MW. (Fully automated Control Center)
2 Cryogenic pods Mk II (20 persons). Size 5 units, Mass 8 units. Electricity 5 MW
1 Damage Control & machine shop. Cost 3 RU. Size 4. Mass 2. Electricity 1 MW
1 Large Closed Loop Life Support /w hydroponics. 40 RU. Size  8. Mass 5. Electricity: 10 MW.  (30 awake / 150cryosleep)

Installed modifications:
2*Expanded Superstructure   Size -30 , Mass 15
Atmospheric flight conversion. Size 5 , Mass 15

Cargo : [Total Space : 14 /0]

1*Ore Processor. Cost 6 RU, Size 4, Mass 5
1*Automated Bot Assembly Line: Size 4. Mass 6. Electricity 8 MW
1* Hydroponics  Size 6, Mass 5

Total mass: 110 units.
Free space: 82 units.
Required power: 26 MW
Maximum power output: 0 MW
Total fuel:
Fuel remaining at destination:

Destination: Epsilon Eridani
Flight time: unknown.

Recommended launch date: January 2050.
Eleventh hour: March 2050
Full storm : July 2050

Action :
Construction Orders :
    - Slot 1 :
    - Slot 2 :
    - Slot 3 :

Cargo Orders :

Research :

Event Choice : Salvage
   - A ) Interstellar Communication Laser : "A system originally intended to be installed on this vessel, though it was never finished. Nevertheless, with most of the structural parts implace, it should be installable with minimal (5 RU) expenses and effort"
   - B ) Survey sattelite : "Intended for scientific research of Venus, this satellite was left in the warehouse after the Discovery was made. It should be adequate for our needs. "
   - C ) Lunar Crawler Miner : "A prototype design, much smaller than the massive He-3 harvesters, this crawler was intended to be multinational, allowing it to harvest materials, as well as executing limited digging and construction works.  Finishing it will cost 10 RU.  Size 10, Mass 8. Can be left in auto or manned by 2 people."
   - D ) Other [Do note, if your request is denied, you might simply end up with nothing]
[/quote]
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 03:06:09 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost: Exodus [Suggestion Game] : Update 3
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2015, 03:32:01 pm »

Construction Orders :
    - Slot 1 : Biodome /w hydroponics.
    - Slot 2 : Rugged construction.
    - Slot 3 : He-3 MCF Fusion generator /w external radiators Mk.2.

Cargo Orders : Seed Bank. 2 RU, 4 mass, 3 size. A seed bank of several hundred varieties of GM plants, ranging from simple grasses to fruit-hybrid trees to hydroponic rice to Mars-soil adapted wheat. Will greatly assist in setting up agriculture on alien worlds. Combined with a biotech lab, these seeds can also be used as a template for future variation and gene-editing.

Research : What do we need most?

Event Choice : Salvage
    - B ) Survey sattelite :

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17