Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: Outpost: Exodus [Suggestion Game] : Update 14  (Read 23447 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost: Exodus [Suggestion Game] : Update zero
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 07:12:24 pm »

PTW, and would indeed like a rundown of this partial ship.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 09:13:55 pm »

Also, general condition of the ship would be nice, since it was abandoned after the project was cancelled right?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 04:21:22 am »

Fine, have a short overview of the different options

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 11:34:28 am »

alright, I'll switch to 2.5. We can take advantage of the autopilot to make this ship as automated as possible, with the minimum required crew needed to run all the bots and machines.
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 12:02:10 pm »

+1 to 2.5
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Update 1
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 02:31:42 pm »

Update 1
January, 2049.  Peary Base, Moon. 

Word is send to commence the construction of an ark, and start the refurbishment of the old Surveyor project. Though the vessel is old, it's structural integrity has not been damaged in the slightest. In addition, the Optronic Computer specialized designed for this mission remains a marvel of modern engineering. However, being originally designed as a small and unmanned surveyor ship, engineers are rather certain that they'll have to make to make significant modifications to make room for the extensions of the framework, in order to fit the resources, engines and reactors to power all the systems.

While much work still needs to be done, the destination must be chosen so that the vessels can be adequatly prepared for the Journey ahead. Astronomers have prepared a list with the some of the  most promising systems.

Suggested Destination systems

- Alpha Centauri, 4.36 light years. A binary star system. One rocky planet, too cold to support life, is known to orbit both stars.
         - Alpha Centauri A : No planets confirmed. Small terrestrial worlds can not be excluded
         - Alpha Centauri B : 1 slightly large than Earth planet confirmed, but too close to sustain life. More planets can't be excluded.

- Barnard's Star, 5.96 light years. Very low mass brown dwarf. Multiple small rocky planets confirmed.  No identified planets within the habitable zone.

- Luhman 16, 6.59 light year. Binary Brown dwarf system. One of the stars has a companion which is suspected to be within the habitable zone.

- Epsilon Eridan, i 10.42 light year Main Sequence K2 Star with high magnetic activity and strong stellar winds. Six planets and two asteroid belts have been confirmed within the system. Planets range in size from Mercury to Neptune, and all but one have atmospheres.

- Tau Ceti , 11.88 Light Year. G-class star. 5 confirmed planets, including 2 super earths within the habitable zone. Tau Ceti does however have significant orbital debris, which could be a hazard for live on these planets.

Turn 1 status: January-March 2049

Resources: 275 RU.
Starship: Unnamed Golden Age Explorer
Total Size: 50 units
Structural mass: 10 units.

Installed components:
1 Optronic Autopilot.  Size 1 , mass 1 .  - 5 MW. (Fully automated Control Center)

Total mass: 10 units.
Free space: 50 units.
Required power: 5 units.
Maximum power output: 0 units.
Total fuel:
Fuel remaining at destination:

Destination: none.
Flight time: unknown.

Recommended launch date: January 2050.
Eleventh hour: March 2050
Full storm : July 2050

Action :
Ship name :

Event : Choose your destination

Construction Orders :
    - Slot 1 :
    - Slot 2 :
    - Slot 3 :

Cargo Orders :

Research :
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 02:31:22 am by 10ebbor10 »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost: Exodus [Suggestion Game] : Update one
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2015, 03:01:32 pm »

Epsilon Eridani sounds like our best bet for a planet that we can use.

As for our ship, I vote it be named the SSN Vanguard, and start building the following:

1)Expanded Superstructure(of course!)
2)Planned Deconstruction
3)Atmospheric Flight Conversion(the idea being the modules separate and glide down to the surface)

Research:Compact Fusion reactors

« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 05:06:41 pm by tryrar »

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2015, 04:53:03 pm »

+1

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2015, 04:57:43 pm »

Also a question: Is an alcubierre drive possible? And if so, is it possible within the timeframe we have?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2015, 05:02:24 pm »

Also a question: Is an alcubierre drive possible? And if so, is it possible within the timeframe we have?
No, nor any other FTL shenanigans.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2015, 05:11:35 pm »

Er.... how close to the current scientific research and presumtions will those star systems be? :3

Because if the current data is anything to go by, we would need to hope for a moon orbiting presumed Gas Giant Epsilon Eridani b at 3.5 AU, with Epsilon Eridani c at ~40 AU not looking promising either.

Tau Ceti e would make for a good terrestrial world, albeit with 1.8 times the earth's size, gravitiy might be a bit much. Same for Tau Ceti f which is 2.3 the size of earth.

On the other hand, a terrestrial world isn't all that either! Centrifugal gravity can be achieved "quite" easily, leaving no reason to use planets in the foreseeable future. So, do we even want to be restricted to a pebble?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2015, 05:14:11 pm »

No, nor any other FTL shenanigans.

Fair enough, nice to know what our option are and aren't :)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2015, 02:40:29 am »

Er.... how close to the current scientific research and presumtions will those star systems be? :3
Creative interpretation of real world facts. So not really perfect accuracy, but nothing too outlandish.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 01:15:57 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2015, 01:10:35 pm »

As for our ship, I vote it be named the SSN Vanguard, and start building the following:

1)Expanded Superstructure(of course!)
2)Planned Deconstruction
3)Atmospheric Flight Conversion(the idea being the modules separate and glide down to the surface)

Research:Compact Fusion reactors
+1 despite having doubts about the meaning of SSN

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2015, 01:23:19 pm »

Sol System Navy(someone expressed doubts for my previous Lunar Space Navy designation)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17