Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17

Author Topic: Outpost: Exodus [Suggestion Game] : Update 14  (Read 23481 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost: Exodus [Suggestion Game] : Update 3
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2015, 11:06:22 pm »

I was going to grab one set of bots so we can dig fast if we need to go underground(we can't expect an earth-like world when we get there, and going underground is better than domes). If we don't, we'll be stuck with just the D&D vehicles until we can set up the bot factory and start building bots(and keep in mind it'll take a while to retool the factory if we want to do something OTHER than build bots)

Edit: Also keep in mind all that stuff plus the stuff already bought will easily fill up the cargo hold we ordered, so we'll need another one next turn(we hopefully have 2 more turns of mods before we HAVE to launch)

Edit Edit: Also, I'm definitely -1ing any plan that doesn't include the optronic central computer. It isn't easily made out of parts on site, and it gives a very nice bonus when set up, AND requires we get it NOW or forget it since it takes 6 months to build
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 11:41:43 pm by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2015, 11:53:47 pm »

The computer does sound neat, I guess if we take along enough advanced parts we can build labs and factories and such with the workshop.

Lets take the bots and computer then.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2015, 11:57:12 pm »

We need to make the engine and a hydrogen storage or two next turn, plus additional cryo pods.

Not enough time.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2015, 11:59:33 pm »

Underground base is overrated. Its main use is to shield us from asteroid impacts, vicious wildlife, or so. An inflatable geodesic dome is cheaper and lighter in every other case.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2015, 12:02:28 am »

Underground base is overrated. Its main use is to shield us from asteroid impacts, vicious wildlife, or so. An inflatable geodesic dome is cheaper and lighter in every other case.

And hostile environments, don't forget those! Remember, we'd be DAMN lucky to grab a planet anywhere close to what earth is like, and more likely might have one with more vulcanism and hostile atmosphere than we'd be comfortable with, so going uderground would be a good idea in that case.

If we luck out though, we'll bring enough parts to put up habitation shelters and stuff

Edit:that building plan sounds fine voidslayer, though I'n continuing to support a survey sat since it's guaranteed and we can use it to find metal deposits(which will help select our landing zone)

Edit Edit:As for time, 10ebbor what was our date for an 11th hour launch again? (i.e. how many turns of relatively safe building do we have?)

Edit Edit Edit:one more thing, assumign we grabbed a huge fuel tank, the smallest cargo bay, and2 ion engines, what would our flight time be?(this determines if we can go faster with 2 engines or if we need 2 fuel tanks so we don't run out of power)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 01:03:15 am by tryrar »
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2015, 02:29:57 am »

10ebbor10, how many raw materials/advanced/basic parts would we need to produce bots, would it be more efficient space and resource wise to take the raw materials and assemble them there?
Equivalent mass is a good guideline.

Darn, then we'd have to order a small cargo bay and then the launcher and have it link to that cargo bay, so that's not worth it
The system automatically links to all cargo bays. Or you can dump the sat out of the airlock.

Whatever build order you come up with, don't forget we need a cargo bay!
I am sure we can just cram crates inside the hallways randomly, nothing can go wrong!
You can, for a limited amount. Otherwise it'll have to be dumped in between the outer and inner hull.

Also, something that has been bugging me: 10ebbor, is the LS modules an either/or thing? As in, they can either support that number of awake people, or that number of cryopods? And do they COME with that number of crypods or do we need to install those separately?
Or. And they don't include cryo.

You can however support awake and cryo systems in proportion.

Edit Edit:As for time, 10ebbor what was our date for an 11th hour launch again? (i.e. how many turns of relatively safe building do we have?)

Edit Edit Edit:one more thing, assumign we grabbed a huge fuel tank, the smallest cargo bay, and2 ion engines, what would our flight time be?(this determines if we can go faster with 2 engines or if we need 2 fuel tanks so we don't run out of power)
Including this turn, you have 6 construction slots before the advised launch, 9 before the eleventh hour (which I must note, isn't safe) and 12 before the construction workers start dieing.

There's a calculater for flight time in the OP.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2015, 03:12:11 am »

Well, according to my calculations if we take 2 engines and enough cargo space to pick up everything we ordered, we'll need something like a size 11 tank to have a comfortable margin and be able to run the plant for more than a year when landed(though my calculations are based off the assumption we'll need to run it at max power. If we're able to run close to half power(likely) we can get away with a much smaller tank

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2015, 03:17:20 am »

Depends on what equipment will be running.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2015, 03:29:48 am »

let's see, including the proposed medbay and two ion engines, I come to a total of 32MW usage, which is less than half of our 75MW budget. Hell, with this we can probaby get 3 engines and a smaller tank(maybe a size 6) and still be able to run at half power, and still have a nice surplus. I calculate at our projected mass, including cargo and the cargo expansion we need, we'll get there in about 25 years with two engines. That would be a bit of a problem if we had to run at full power, but luckily we don't and it'll leave us with about 2 years worth of runtime on the reactor at full power when we get there

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2015, 04:18:51 am »

So next turn 2 engines and a hydrogen fuel tank, last turn we can get whatever.

This turn we might even want to get the combined medbay and 20 cryo tanks and damage control so we have a good solid 20 crew cryo tank + 50 long term cryo.

With what we have this turn plus 2 engines and a size 8 fuel tank we are at 71 space used so there would be 11 space remaining for the final turn.

I am thinking recreation commons, 20 person cryo pods and a Focused Detection Array.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 01:58:33 pm by VoidSlayer »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2015, 03:20:17 pm »

Just for clarity and 10ebbor's edification:
I am going to ask for a prefabricated general laboratory, we can research a more advanced part factory after we get on the planet.

With this much power we can use an Electrostatic Ion Engine to cut down on fuel use.  One size 8 tank could last 21-42 years.  It would be slower though.

Construction:
1:Huge size 43 Cargo bay /w industrial cargo handling system
2:Medbay
3:Size 8 MCF Fusion Plant Mk II

Research:Life Sciences Lab

Cargo Orders: Powered Exo-skeleton Constructor Units, Digging & drilling vehicles, -1 to buying any botstake whatever bots, Optronic Central computer, 3 crates each of basic and advanced parts, 2 crates each of emergency food and advanced medical supplies

Event:  D ) mining (preferred) and/or construction bots (free bots are a different story) Survey sattelite
I'm +1ing this

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2015, 03:42:25 pm »

PTW. I'd also like to point out that (unless this has changed), cargo purchase and loading is instantaneous and can be saved until last (except for the items which take time to obtain, of course).
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2015, 04:37:27 pm »

Just for clarity and 10ebbor's edification:
I am going to ask for a prefabricated general laboratory, we can research a more advanced part factory after we get on the planet.

With this much power we can use an Electrostatic Ion Engine to cut down on fuel use.  One size 8 tank could last 21-42 years.  It would be slower though.

Construction:

Research:Life Sciences Lab

Cargo Orders: Powered Exo-skeleton Constructor Units, Digging & drilling vehicles, -1 to buying any botstake whatever bots, Optronic Central computer, 3 crates each of basic and advanced parts, 2 crates each of emergency food and advanced medical supplies

Event:  D ) mining (preferred) and/or construction bots (free bots are a different story) Survey sattelite
I'm +1ing this
+1, though I am not contributing much
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Update 2
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2015, 10:40:29 am »

Update 4
September, 2049.  Peary Base, Moon. 

Quote from: Orders
Construction:

Research:Life Sciences Lab [100]

Cargo Orders: Powered Exo-skeleton Constructor Units, Digging & drilling vehicles, Optronic Central computer, 3 crates each of basic and advanced parts, 2 crates each of emergency food and advanced medical supplies.

Event: Survey sattelite

With the launch data rapidly nearing, the ship's enormous hull is finally being filled. The foundation of the ship's improved fusion power plant is installed, while a small medbay is attached to the vessels living areas. On top of those, the enormous cargo bay is placed, fully loaded with essential materials and equipment, as well as the sattelite you managed to procure. The last parts of the optronic computer are still in production, but will be added soon enough.

With those systems taken care of, the only thing still missing is the addition of an engine, and fuel reserves for both it and the reactor. Though the ship could plausibly be launched at the recommended date, there are those who say that pushing the launch forwards 3 months would allow the addition of some promising equipment.

When queried, the Nations of Earth revealed that not only had they gathered the genome of much of the Earth's biosphere, but that they had already developed a small self-contained lab for these kind of experiments. Compartmentalizing the equipment and preparing it for space travel was an rather trivial affair, and the end result is a compact and efficient biolab. 

Life Sciences Laboratory: 20 RU. Size 10. Mass 15. Electricity 20 MW. An advanced,self contained bio laboratory with a database of nearly every living species on Earth, as well as an optronic computer with expert systems to allow for the easy modification of animals. Also includes a versatile cloning system, isolation chambers and a multi-functional cryosystem for long term observation. Note: Advanced technology. Takes 3 months to construct.

[87] Work on the Ark proceeded faster than expected, and it is nearing completion, with only the engines still needing to be installed, and non-essential cargo to be loaded. One of the advantages of this is that part of the equipment used to assemble it can, plausibly, now be converted to work on the outpost vessel. Such an effort would be expensive, but it would allow much more parts to be added to the Outpost vessel. The other benefit is that the Ark can now commence loading and set on it's way.

Four basic plausible load-out sets for the Ark have been developed. Some propose to load it with resources, giving the Outpost the material boost it needs to allow for the proper resolvement of the Ark's troubles. Other plausible designs include a balanced variety of resources, machines and safety equipment, or even a full safety design, where no expenses are spared to ensure that the Ark reaches it's final destination. Lastly, there are also those who propose to the equip the vessel with state-of-the-art infrastructure, which would likely be of more useage than simple resources.

However, the manufacturing of this equipment would seriously delay the launch, requiring the vessel to follow the fast flight path, though some argue that the armored and rad resistant ark would easily survive the exposure it would receive under a medium speed delayed flight.

These 3 paths each have their own advantages. The fast path brings the Ark to it's destination as fast as possible (28 years), but burns a significant amount of fuel to do so, leaving it with only minimal reserves after landing. The Medium path brings the Ark to it's destination in 36 years, while the slow path takes the longest, at 44 years. These are, however, only superficial numbers, as the individual burn schedules and mission planning allow us to change the planning by 3 years in either direction.

Turn 4 status: October-December 2049

Resources: 80 RU.
Starship: SSN Discovery
Total Size: 110 units
Structural mass: 10 units.

Installed components:
1 Optronic Autopilot.  Size 1 , mass 1 .  - 5 MW. (Fully automated Control Center)
2 Cryogenic pods Mk II (20 persons). Size 5 units, Mass 8 units. Electricity 5 MW
1 Large Closed Loop Life Support /w hydroponics. Size  8. Mass 5. Electricity: 10 MW.  (30 awake / 150cryosleep)
1 Damage Control & machine shop. Size 4. Mass 2. Electricity 1 MW
1 Large Cargo bay  /w industrial cargo handling system. Size: 43. Mass: 2.
1 Medical Bay. Size 2. Mass 1. Electricity 1 MW.
1 He-3 MCF Fusion generator /w external radiators Mk.2.  Size 8  Mass 5  Generates 75 MW. Uses 0.75 Fuel/year  [3 months left]

Installed modifications:
2*Expanded Superstructure   Size -30 , Mass 15
Atmospheric flight conversion. Size 5 , Mass 15

Cargo : [Total Space : 40 /40]

1*Ore Processor. Cost 6 RU, Size 4, Mass 5
1*Automated Bot Assembly Line: Size 4. Mass 6. Electricity 8 MW
1* Hydroponics  Size 6, Mass 5
1*Orbital Survey Satellite. Size 3, Mass 3
1*Powered Exo-skeleton Constructor Units. Cost 2 RU, Size 3, Mass 2
1*Digging & drilling vehicles. Cost 2 RU, Size 4, Mass 4
1*Optronic Central Computer. Cost 10 RU. Size 2. Mass 2. [3 months left]
3*Basic Parts Mass 1, Size 1
3*Advanced parts Mass 1, Size 1
2*Emergency Food :  Size 3, Mass 1
2*Advanced Medical supplies Size 1, Mass 1

Total mass: 136 units.
Free space: 29 units.
Required power: 26 MW
Maximum power output: 75 MW (Note: Minimum power output is 37.5)
Total fuel:
Fuel remaining at destination:

Destination: Epsilon Eridani
Flight time: unknown.

Recommended launch date: January 2050. [Imminent]
Eleventh hour: March 2050
Full storm : July 2050

Action :
Construction Orders :
    - Slot 1 :
    - Slot 2 :
    - Slot 3 :
    - Slot 4 : 20 RU to unlock

Cargo Orders :

Research :

Launch: Y/N (If you want to launch at the advised date, you need to do it after this turns construction orders)

Ark Equipment sets :
     - Infrastructure : Equip the Ark with factories, Laboratories and other equipment.  [Warning: Waiting for Advanced Equipment will delay Ark launch, requiring a Fast/Medium Speed.]
     - Resources : Load the Ark with basic resources, food and fuel.
     - Survival : Equip the Ark with additional safeguards, redundancies and lifesupport to allow a large awake crew.
     - Balanced : Equip the Ark with a balanced mix of resources, equipment and survival mechanisms.

Ark travel speed :
     - Slow : The Ark's voyage takes 44 years
     - Medium : The Ark's voyage takes 36 years
     - Fast : The Ark's voyages takes 28 years

(On a side note, because there was some damage done, perhaps unintentionally, I restored the Engine calculator sheet.)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 10:45:44 am by 10ebbor10 »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost: Exodus [Suggestion Game] : Update 4
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2015, 11:09:16 am »

Construction Orders :
    - Slot 1 :Electrostatic Engine
    - Slot 2 :Size 8 largest hydrogen tank
    - Slot 3 :???
    - Slot 4 : 20 RU to unlock ???

Cargo Orders : Workshop, Air tanks & vac suits

Research : ???

Launch: N

Ark Equipment sets :
     - Survival : Equip the Ark with additional safeguards, redundancies and lifesupport to allow a large awake crew.

Ark travel speed :
     - Medium : The Ark's voyage takes 36 years

Is the life sciences lab cargo or construction?

I think that extra slot would be worth it with our current resources, we can add a rec commons or something else.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17