Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia LII: A damp troll hole - Game Over - Scum win  (Read 51937 times)

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LII: A damp troll hole - Day 1: A thin soup
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2015, 08:16:40 pm »

I was asking if it was difficult to do so. I know you try to give unbiased results.

This is something I can't comment on because it could compromise my role PM. I can talk to you about it after the game, however.

Dani

• Bay Watcher
  • Monstrous Nun
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2015, 08:19:50 pm »

You state that I have been giving you loaded questions, yet in this post you turn it around and say that I'm actually doing somthing town. By your own reasoning, shouldnt you, if you are town, be nitpicking me right back, instead of brushing me off?
Ah. Okay. Sorry if I'm bad at internalizing advice that I got recently.
It's just that, while I was trying to come up with a nitpick, I realized I'd be asking questions that I know simple, suitable responses to. Originally my question to you was going to be "Why are you asking questions that paint the people answering as scum", but as soon as I typed it out, the answer became obvious. So I just said that sometimes town plays like that.
It's easy enough for scum to fake, since it only brushes on game content, and activity is not indicative of alignment, so rest assured that your actions do not merit a townread from me.
A creature of habit.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2015, 08:27:04 pm »

You state that I have been giving you loaded questions, yet in this post you turn it around and say that I'm actually doing somthing town. By your own reasoning, shouldnt you, if you are town, be nitpicking me right back, instead of brushing me off?
Ah. Okay. Sorry if I'm bad at internalizing advice that I got recently.
It's just that, while I was trying to come up with a nitpick, I realized I'd be asking questions that I know simple, suitable responses to. Originally my question to you was going to be "Why are you asking questions that paint the people answering as scum", but as soon as I typed it out, the answer became obvious. So I just said that sometimes town plays like that.
It's easy enough for scum to fake, since it only brushes on game content, and activity is not indicative of alignment, so rest assured that your actions do not merit a townread from me.
I.... I dont even know what to say to this.......

*Goes off to bug someone else for a while*

Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

Dani

• Bay Watcher
  • Monstrous Nun
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2015, 08:29:16 pm »

@Peradon
Actually, what gave you the idea that I said you were town?
A creature of habit.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2015, 08:35:08 pm »

@Peradon
Actually, what gave you the idea that I said you were town?
You didnt specifically say that I was town, but you implied that I was acting like town.

Someone told me that town play is about nitpicking at players until something tangible manifests. I guess that means this instance of your behavior is excusable.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2015, 09:18:51 pm »

Hello new players. I am your IC Nerjin. I want to point out a few things before I get into game information. Specifically a few hint and tips.

1. Before you start writing up a post you should write down the name of EVERY PLAYER and keep a few little notes on them. It might help you catch something you missed.

2. ICs are here to help train you to play the game. Kill them if you feel you must but murdering both of the ICs by Day 2 severely limits what they can do. Even if you’re mafia. Playing against a bunch of new players may seem easier because it really is. But you only shoot yourself in the foot when you join a game made up of ONLY ICs. I find that day 2 or 3 is the day to kill ICs [if you feel you must] because it gives you a chance to see what you should do with the information you got Day/Night 1.

There is also this:

The general strategy in most games of mafia is to start day one with a stage known as "RVS" wherein you ask other players questions and make votes based on mundane things.

No. Don't do this. Vote them based on what they say about how they'd play and how it might trip them up. Do not vote them over 'mundane' things.

Everything else in that was fine though.

Those are all for now. Onto the post.

For your convenience, and mine, I like to use spoilers to comment on each person in turn. Walls of text are rough on the eyes so be sure to be brief but thorough when possible. Even if it’s not your name on the spoiler make sure you read it.

Spoiler: Comrade Shamrock (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dani (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: hector13 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mastahcheese (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: origami (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Peradon (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Scripten (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Zormod (click to show/hide)

Quote from: All Encompassing Question
Who do you suspect the most and why? ‘Nobody’ is not a valid answer.

I will answer it first. I suspect Scripten the most currently due to the fact that he seems rather focused on Cheese.

Quote from: Common Issues
Here are some common issues I noticed while working on this post:

1. You need to ask questions relevant to the game to do well in the game. Something unrelated gives you nothing but white noise. You haven’t played long so it’s fine but remember that I have my post per page count at 50 and some of these games can get over 20 pages long. People get tired of sifting through incoherent and irrelevant information every single day.

2. Answer questions asked to you or state why you will not answer them. Do NOT make a joke that avoids the question. This ties into the length of the game in time and content. People asked you those questions to learn something. If you’re just going to dick around you seem like you’re hiding something. You do NOT want to seem like you’re hiding something unless you have a good reason. Just a tip: A good reason is something like the question being loaded or unfair to answer. You thinking of a funny one liner is not a good reason.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2015, 09:33:47 pm »

Origami: If you were the last mafia, who, out of the current players, would you kill during the night?
I would kill the Ic, if one was left. Because they would most likely  the most expirienced and the most likely to catch me.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2015, 10:03:20 pm »

Peradon:

Zormod: What is your oppinion of scripten's scumhunting of mastahcheese? Do you think he is grasping at straws, or do you think he has legitimate concern for how mastahcheese worded his questions? Or, do you think scripten is merely trying to pressure mastahcheese?

Why did you phrase this question in this way? Are you trying to encourage Zormod to participate, do you want to exchange ideas with him, or are you trying to test the waters for support on which of {Scripten, Mastahcheese} to vote for?

Nerjin:

All bad answers that have you looking flighty. Deflecting or avoiding answering a question with humor paints a large target on you. Please answer the questions.

This reminds me of something that's always bothered me a little bit about the site meta here. People seem to think that every question has the same importance where, in reality, I've seen scum stick to answering every question, especially the less pro-town ones, so as to keep any potential slip-ups hidden in a slog of answers. Ignoring useless/redundant/etc questions isn't scummy, per se, but avoiding questions when it can be shown that answering the question would be a pro-town move is. To be fair, though, in this game I would expect our newer players to stick to answering every question, until they can recognize which questions are more useful.

Just a quick comment; not trying to subvert your ICing, Nerjin.

You seem highly interested in Cheese as opposed to any other player. Is there a reason for this? Seems a bit early to focus. Especially after what you said concerning tunneling.

I've interacted with Mastahcheese the most, but I disagree about your assertion that I've been tunneling. I've just found his play the most suspicious and have followed up on my suspicions. It's also quite early in the game.

Who do you suspect the most and why? ‘Nobody’ is not a valid answer.

Mastahcheese for some questions that struck me as potentially less-than-legitimate attempts at scumhunting. I'm a little concerned about your miniature chainsaw defense of him, as well.

Chainsaw defending a player consists of defending a player by attacking the person concentrating on them. It is not always a scumtell, but it can suggest that a player wants to lower suspicion on the attacked player by moving the town's concentration to their attacker. As an aside, early and mid-game scum play rarely consists of straight-up defense of other players, as scum often stick to avoiding being associated with their partners. Look for scum trying to distance themselves from other players.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2015, 10:19:56 pm »

Why did you phrase this question in this way? Are you trying to encourage Zormod to participate, do you want to exchange ideas with him, or are you trying to test the waters for support on which of {Scripten, Mastahcheese} to vote for?

I'm trying to draw him into the game a bit. I noticed that he wasn't posting much, but looking at his forum activity shows that he has been active. This seems suspicous to me, so I was trying to draw him in, maybe get a little more info on him so that I can better analyze him. Your conversation with cheese was easily accesable, and his oppinion might shed some light on his thinking.

ScriptenWhat specifically did you find suspicous about cheese's posts?

Nerjin:Who, in your oppinion, is the most dangerous player of this game, and why?

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LII: A damp troll hole - Signups
« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2015, 10:39:37 pm »

Peradon:

My own comments in bold:

Comrade Shamrock:  Is it better to ask questions to everyone at once, or to focus on a small amount? This is a fine question. Not content-related, but there wasn't much to go on at this point.
Dani/Zormod/Peradon/origamiscienceguy: What do you expect to enjoy the most out of this game? Contentless. Not scummy, but I disregard non-game content parts of posts.
hector13: Where did you bury hector12? Ditto
Nerjin: Are you expecting to get Night Killed the first night, as is customary in BMs? Not terrible. I do wonder how Mastahcheese thought it would reveal Nerjin's alignment, but I can see potential here.
Scripten: How many trolls do you intend to kill? This is what tipped me off and made me suspicious. It could be town looking to trip up a scum player or it could also be scum either slipping up themselves. (Scum love to trick town into "slipping" and ride them onto a mislynch. The only way to tell motivation is to dig deeper.)

Basically, we have a content question, a few null questions, and a trick/trap question.

That doesn't answer the question.

-snip-

So you'd prefer to be Mafia, is what you're saying?
Or did you read the question?

This quote bothered me because it felt pedantic and, in my experience, scum will often hide behind pedantry to look like they are scumhunting when they are really just debating semantics. Whether a player prefers to be mafia or not isn't actually alignment-indicative, and it feels like he is trying to trick Dani into admitting he would enjoy being scum and play that off as proof that Dani is scum, which is fallacious but looks legitimate.

Nerjin:Who, in your oppinion, is the most dangerous player of this game, and why?

Are you looking for advice on who to night kill?

Origamiscienceguy:

Can you please answer my question from this post?

Origamiscienceguy:

I expect i'll particularly enjoy seeing the different peoples' detective styles emerge from day 2 onward.

From this post onward, you've expressed an opinion that Day 1 is going to be a crapshoot. Do you think you will benefit from heightened emotions and shot-in-the-dark scumhunting?

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2015, 10:45:58 pm »

I've been led to believe that day one has little productivity in scum hunting. 4maskwolf even said as much. So to answer the original question as truly as I could, I excluded day one because I thought it would be tedious.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2015, 10:48:49 pm »

I've been led to believe that day one has little productivity in scum hunting. 4maskwolf even said as much. So to answer the original question as truly as I could, I excluded day one because I thought it would be tedious.

Huh? I asked you the following:

Do you think you will benefit from heightened emotions and shot-in-the-dark scumhunting?

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2015, 10:54:30 pm »

sorry, I missread your question. I do not have enough expirience to say for shoe, but I can see how emotional reactions can provide some insight into the psyche of other players, and could possibly be helpful for scumhunting.

Could you please explain what "shot-in-the-dark" scumhunting is?

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2015, 11:03:30 pm »

Could you please explain what "shot-in-the-dark" scumhunting is?

Sorry, it's a figure of speech. Basically, people shooting out scumhunting attempts when they don't really know quite where to aim yet.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2015, 11:05:36 pm »

I don't quite know the best way of doing that, so I don't expect to be using it this game.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27