Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19

Author Topic: Battlefleet Gothic - Armada. RTS.  (Read 39404 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Battlefleet Gothic - Armada. RTS.
« on: January 16, 2015, 09:53:04 pm »

So... this is quite the niche filling. Very impressive.

Look at those broadsides, the missiles, the lighting. This looks pretty awesome and the fact that it's real time strategy makes it oh so more appealing.

I am quite excited from the screenshots. The visuals certainly capture the stupid majesty of space cathedrals.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefleet Gothic - Armada. RTS.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 10:20:15 pm »

Well, that's interest raising. Worrisome the only thing of note I can recall from the devs is a space-based AoS-knockoff, though. Supposedly a relatively interesting one, but still...

Also vaguely obligatory commentary of it being too pretty to play, but eh. Space dakka is good too, and the at-least initial apparent promise of orkz is pleasing as all hell. Smashing a rok into something could be a glorious experience.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 11:13:44 pm »

While I haven't heard of the developers before; from a brief overview, Tindalos Interactive have at least three other games released, two which are space games called "Stellar Impact" and "Etherium".

Looking over the screenshots on "Stellar Impact", it would not surprise me if they base some of the mentioned mechanics for "Battlefleet Gothic - Armada" off of those shown there. The article mentions ship upgrades, customisable weapon loadouts and the like and that seems in line with the menues shown for "Stellar Impact". Also matches the Battlefleet Gothic setting from what I understand where there is a variety of ships based off the same model but with different weapons like a Nova Cannon instead of a torpedo launcher or another broadside cannon array rather than fighter bays.

Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 01:12:47 am »

Interestingly, I just recently got back into Stellar Impact. It's a MOBA, and matches tend to take... longer. It's also not F2P, which means there's very few people playing, only at certain times.

But dayum, it's a nice game. Very spaceshipy feeling. I wonder if they can make it feel epic with this game, but at least they have a couple of relatively complex games under their belt, so there's some hopes that this will be technically competent (though Stellar Impact does have its share of technical ... complications).

Pretty curious to see what comes out of this.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 06:08:52 am »

Never heard about Stellar Impact, looked for a video on youtube to see how this was and it strongly reminded me of the good old Conquest Frontier Wars, those planets surrounded by rings made of buildings, those various colored nebulas (that i assumed like in CFW had different effects on what was going through them) and even those ships from that distance seemed to work and move similarly as in that game.
The only big difference i noticed was just the visuals that are more advanced.

Those similarities aren't a bad thing as i liked CFW.

Didn't saw if it had the multiple maps/systems linked by wormholes CFW had too.

I wonder if they're going to use the GW spaceships as a "skin" of their Stellar Impact of if they're going for something different (i would have hoped more for a Homeworld-like ).

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 08:16:23 am »

Played stellar impact after it was being sold for 99 cents (with all DLC) on steam. It's a fun game but nothing like Conquest beyons some visuals...

To be honest i can imagine this being Stellar Impact with a fresh coat of paint and it will be a fun game anyway assuming the graphical upgrade will make it worth it.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 08:33:39 am »

Huh, looks just like the battles in Endless Space.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 12:24:12 pm »

Stellar Impact was fair, the engine was solid, it just had the downfall of being a MOBA... which means elitist playerbase and once the online players drops low enough it means you're unable to play...  Hopefully that won't be the issue here and I can finally get some of my 40K fix.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 01:41:58 pm »

No it's downfall was not being a MOBA.
It was not being F2P while DOTA2 HoN LoL ETC. are all free.

I can even see the F2P model working with premium accounts and new ship classes being created.

Alas people won't pay even a dollar for yet another moba nowdays.
Sad considering this game could be revived with some work and thought put into it.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 01:57:52 pm »

No it's downfall was not being a MOBA.
It was not being F2P while DOTA2 HoN LoL ETC. are all free.

I can even see the F2P model working with premium accounts and new ship classes being created.

Alas people won't pay even a dollar for yet another moba nowdays.
Sad considering this game could be revived with some work and thought put into it.

If this game is freemium I will quite literally kill GWS. Or a MOBA for that matter. On the other hand, I'd love it if it was like a 6DOF version of battlestations: midway
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 02:08:56 pm »

Honestly, MOBAs don't need to be that bad... people are generally friendly. I think the problem is that matches take way too long, with some up to 2h, and most around +1h... when it should be 45m max.

Oh well, eagerly waiting on more information!

Where do you guys get your 40K lore from? I generally just know what's on the games.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 02:12:25 pm »

Where do you guys get your 40K lore from? I generally just know what's on the games.
Dawn of War, and the various tabletop rulebooks.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 02:38:36 pm »

The computer games, various novels, fanfiction, the wikis (1d4 and that... other one), watching people warble at each other about the topic. I still haven't really read any of the rulebooks >_>
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 03:19:09 pm »

I got Stellar Impact on sale a while ago, and even then it seemed to be heavily monetized and lacking developer support. It was a nice take on the MOBA genre, but the pay to win bit was on the heavy handed side.

I like the look of this game, and hopefully it's an RTS in the vein of Homeworld, rather than some terrible freemium game.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2015, 03:20:36 pm »

The computer games, various novels, fanfiction, the wikis (1d4 and that... other one), watching people warble at each other about the topic. I still haven't really read any of the rulebooks >_>
You should certainly try it. It's possible to acquire the rules, and you can play using online systems (VASSAL) without models. 'Sfun.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19