Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Sol Trader - Kickstarted!  (Read 19210 times)

chrismdp

• Bay Watcher
  • Developer of Sol Trader and Ealdorlight
    • View Profile
    • Sol Trader
Re: Sol Trader - Kickstarted!
« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2016, 08:04:32 am »

I did think about calling people up, or messaging them perhaps, it does make thematic sense. It would change the balance a fair amount though, so I'd need to be careful how I managed it: one of the major design constraints is your physical location.

It's on the list to think through!
Sol Trader is available on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/396680

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2016, 09:03:15 am »

Maybe have it so that all you can really do remotely is arrange to meet x person at y place.

Chalk it up to paranoia about the Space NSA.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

chrismdp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sol Trader
« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2016, 11:04:03 am »

That's a nice idea....

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2016, 12:56:38 pm »

Maybe have it so that all you can really do remotely is arrange to meet x person at y place.

Chalk it up to paranoia about the Space NSA.

Agreed, that'd be a fair compromise.

@chrismdp do you want to make a balanced game, or one people will enjoy playing? Start with the fun and you can balance it later. Of course, not the conversation to be having AFTER your game has gone on sale. And if I sound obnoxious... I bought the game day one on Steam - never even heard about the Kickstarter - and have played, let's see, 11 hours over the course of that first week or so, seeing my save games get knocked out by incompatible updates and then once I got to play further just hitting a wall of frustration. I am legit pissed off with your game. Not you. You seem lovely.

And it's not just me. I see you did a podcast with Brian Rubin, who is my go to guy to follow for space games, and his YT LP series on Sol Trader made me laugh out loud, for all the wrong reasons.

The USP of the game is the ability to foster and grow relationships. The early conversation system that I played made it pretty trivial to make people like you, though I never pushed much past that level due to the tedious missions. I was curious whether the NPCs are also making and breaking relationships or are they all set in stone? Or I should say, is it only player interaction that changes NPC relationships to each other? As conversation choices do affect this.

chrismdp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sol Trader
« Reply #109 on: July 23, 2016, 02:00:07 pm »

@chrismdp do you want to make a balanced game, or one people will enjoy playing? Start with the fun and you can balance it later. Of course, not the conversation to be having AFTER your game has gone on sale. And if I sound obnoxious... I bought the game day one on Steam - never even heard about the Kickstarter - and have played, let's see, 11 hours over the course of that first week or so, seeing my save games get knocked out by incompatible updates and then once I got to play further just hitting a wall of frustration. I am legit pissed off with your game. Not you. You seem lovely.

And it's not just me. I see you did a podcast with Brian Rubin, who is my go to guy to follow for space games, and his YT LP series on Sol Trader made me laugh out loud, for all the wrong reasons.

Yeah, man that was frustrating. And sorry about knocking out the save games - just had to get those early bugs fixed. I've talked at length about how an early access period might have been a better option.

The USP of the game is the ability to foster and grow relationships. The early conversation system that I played made it pretty trivial to make people like you, though I never pushed much past that level due to the tedious missions.

In 1.1 it will be much more challenging to make people like you, and more missions are definitely coming.

I was curious whether the NPCs are also making and breaking relationships or are they all set in stone? Or I should say, is it only player interaction that changes NPC relationships to each other? As conversation choices do affect this.

It's dynamic. The NPCs keep their relationships in an ordered list, so you getting to know other people will naturally change how their relationships work with others. Their opinions about each other will also change as they learn new info about each other, which then affects their relationships over time.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2016, 02:37:15 pm »

I really want to like this game but meeting people for the second time intentionally after they gave you a quest is a real chore. I was waiting for 1.1 to get into it but there's still work before it get's into game territory. Sad because digging up dirt on people was actually interesting :P

chrismdp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sol Trader
« Reply #111 on: August 15, 2016, 03:32:07 pm »

Yeah, that's still not quite right. You should be able to message them to ask them to meet, or at least find out where they are again. I'm hoping to further improve on this for 1.2.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 15, 2016, 04:29:15 pm »

Yeah, that's still not quite right. You should be able to message them to ask them to meet, or at least find out where they are again. I'm hoping to further improve on this for 1.2.

where that is on the ui? the issue for me is that she spends very little time on planets, she's running a water trader route and spends very few time in a location

chrismdp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sol Trader
« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2016, 04:38:49 pm »

That feature doesn't exist yet - I was musing about the need for it. I've added it to the list for 1.2 :)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2016, 04:40:30 am »

could you add, as a stopgap, that clearing docking custom takes a set time, like ten minutes, so you get a chance to find frequent travelers at space ports?

chrismdp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sol Trader
« Reply #115 on: August 16, 2016, 05:57:42 am »

That's a decent idea. What I've done for now is cause the prepping of a ship for launch to take longer and be interruptible. They now prep for 1 in-game hour, and you can chat to them.

These changes (and a trading fix) will be out in release 1.1.1, due later today.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2016, 06:48:54 am »

That's a decent idea. What I've done for now is cause the prepping of a ship for launch to take longer and be interruptible. They now prep for 1 in-game hour, and you can chat to them.

These changes (and a trading fix) will be out in release 1.1.1, due later today.

that's perfect thanks!

chrismdp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sol Trader
« Reply #117 on: August 16, 2016, 07:58:57 am »

Ok that release is out for you :) See what you think!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 16, 2016, 01:47:33 pm »

Ok that release is out for you :) See what you think!

it's PERFECT!!!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

it was so easy, it took less than two in game hours to find the planet she was on and locating her at customs.

this changes everything!

chrismdp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sol Trader
« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2016, 02:08:21 pm »

Awesome :)

... But that's a pretty weird GUI bug on that screenshot? How do you reproduce getting the events panel to display on its own like that?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10