Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Sol Trader - Kickstarted!  (Read 19204 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sol Trader - Kickstarted!
« on: January 15, 2015, 02:48:38 pm »

wooo! Fully funded!

You can still back through paypal or with credit card from the games web page:  http://soltrader.net/?utm_source=kickstarterc.om&utm_medium=header-link#back-us

New Kickstarter for this is up, link has been updated.  Dev has been working on the game, still sounds awesome.  I'm updating the original post with some more images to try and glam it up a little:

Sandbox space game!  DF Legends mode inspired history generation!  Detailed social systems, relationships, and connection networks!  Mod friendly!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/852671098/sol-trader

And with new lighting effects:

This is an outdated screen, but you can see how Legends mode and dynamic personality generation was a direct inspiration for this bit here:

It features a complex procedural history generator, inspired by the adventure and legends mode in Dwarf Fortress. Each new game is already two centuries old, with a living history full of characters that are born, live and die before you even exist.

I like the soft aspects of making connections and networking to keep your business going, rather than just living in your cockpit.

When playing the finished game, you might find yourself:

Speeding through a dangerous asteroid belt to avoid pirates
Meeting the President of Earth's Old Federation
Painting your ship the colours of your pirate band
Blackmailing an official for valuable information
Becoming a double agent for two different governments
Trawling the city markets for the best deals by day
Hitting the bars at night to network with important contacts
Getting a friend to repair your ship for a discount
Outfitting your ship with extra powerful engines to escape pursuers
Mining asteroids for rare metals with specially equipped lasers
Collecting satellite and ship debris for a paltry fee
Running out of fuel and calling a rescue ship
Avenging the death of a family member
Gaining lucrative missions from the senate due to your father's political connections
Collecting samples from a far planet for a scientific mission

And don't forget the emergent properties of the dynamic background and relationship system:

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 02:19:16 pm by puke »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: sol trader
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 10:20:45 am »

Okay, I'm a little surprised that this has gotten as little love as it has. 

This thing looks amazing, and it looks like it is going to fall a little short of its goal unless it gets a big push in the next couple of days.  I know there is a deluge of open world games name dropping Dwarf Fortress, but this guy really seems to have his act together. 

Specifically, I am super excited to see a trading and economic game that has a focus on relationship and network building.  I have sketched out some ideas along these lines for something I was working on, but Sol Trader is actually making it happen while I have been spinning my wheels daydreaming.

Also, to his credit, he hasn't already been here whoring his own game.  Though I wish he would.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 10:30:02 am »

Well, color me interested. Bookmarked and I'll check the video(s) later, though I'll probably fund it anyways. Sadly though it really seems like it won't make it, but here's to hope the author tries again at the later time!

And while a bit surprising this haven't got more attention I'd blame it just on Kickstarter being over-saturated and people being generally more cautious when it comes to KS. Sad, but true.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 10:36:18 am »

The latest gameplay video is pretty short:  http://youtu.be/legdoufEgms

You see the following demonstrated:
- meet a contact
- take a job so that the contact will owe him a favor later (contact is mob connected)
- get jumped by pirates
- borrow a fresh ship from someone else who owes him a favor
- hire some body guards
- return the ship
- discover from the rumor mill that a headhunter is after him

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sol Trader - back in action!
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 12:51:19 am »

Back in business! 

From the first few hours, it looks like they will meet the kickstarter goal easily.  Already Greenlit.  New KS link in the OP.

Has a Youtube channel:  http://youtube.com/user/soltdr

Demo available!  (see KS page)

and check out some character creation:

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 02:10:19 am »

it sounds like this guy should bypass the kickstarter and go straight to steam.  Ill buy it there

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 08:47:50 am »

Good game idea, i like the looks of it. Add the ability to place factories on planets to earn some passive income and I will throw money at my monitor.

EVEN BETTER, be able to hire actual NPCs to manage it! Family, friends or qualified businessmen, its all good.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 08:49:26 am by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 09:51:01 am »

Color me interested. Grabbing the demo as I'm typing this. I wish full indie games weren't so pricey...

chrismdp

• Bay Watcher
  • Developer of Sol Trader and Ealdorlight
    • View Profile
    • Sol Trader
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 01:52:13 pm »

Hey there: I'm the developer :) would be very happy to answer any questions anybody has!

Chris
Sol Trader is available on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/396680

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 02:48:44 pm »

Soooo crusader king exept in space with spaceship? Good god im following this!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

chrismdp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sol Trader
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 04:43:32 pm »

Soooo crusader king exept in space with spaceship? Good god im following this!

I think you've pretty much nailed it, yeah :D

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 07:19:44 pm »

Have u considered going straight for a steam listing if kickstarter failes, if u have gone to greenlight already going into the early access program perhaps.  Or even selling copies direct from the website, it looks like the kickstarter will fail, so maybe starting pumping out beta versions and sell direct or via some support mechanism ( steam, indiepop etc)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 08:55:21 pm »

Kicktraq has it trending to finish at 4x its goal:  https://www.kicktraq.com/projects/852671098/sol-trader/

And since it was just made a featured project, it may do better than that.  Of course, its still early days.  It may do better or worse, but it is almost certain to succeed.

edit:  ouch. looking like it might be a close finish, rather than a smashing hit.  this needs more love!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 12:01:23 am by puke »

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 12:10:18 am »

i stand corrected if the current trend continues this has some good prospects

chrismdp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sol Trader
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 12:23:49 am »

Have u considered going straight for a steam listing if kickstarter failes, if u have gone to greenlight already going into the early access program perhaps.  Or even selling copies direct from the website, it looks like the kickstarter will fail, so maybe starting pumping out beta versions and sell direct or via some support mechanism ( steam, indiepop etc)

It will definitely go on Steam: the expected release date is next April. I've decided not to do an Early Access: I don't want to limit people to having to use Steam to get the beta, and I'd prefer to make my Steam launch the finished game launch.

You can already back direct from the website if you'd like to.

I have a good start on the campaign, and I'm really pleased about the staff pick! The more people talk about it and share it though, the more likely it is to succeed... here's hoping!

Thanks
Chris
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10