Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Temples!  (Read 16219 times)

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Temples!
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 12:37:56 am »

The "temples" don't need to be large, either. You could build a Pantheon analogue with different sections for different gods or install prayer niches here and there in various hallways.

Even better. You could build a 'Temple Quarter' for a surface fort; a walled off section just filled to the brim with temples, priest dwellings, and dormitories for poor migrants.

Game of Thrones: The God of Many Faces, anyone...? (Book 4.)

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 01:13:47 am »

*shivers with excitement* I can't wait for werebeast/vampire generators! It would be awesome if the profaner didn't generate an announcement, so you don't know until the bodies start piling up
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Lapoleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 03:37:30 am »

All those beautiful temples we will build, filled with images of cheese and elephants striking down dwarves  :D

In all seriousness, it might be a good idea for a submenu for the build statues task. Something along the line off: Build Rock Statue:
- Dwarf Preference
- Gods
- Historical Items
- Historical Figures
- Nobles
- Cheese

Buckley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 07:59:28 am »

Ferk yer.

A bunch of drunken, irrational dwarves with emotional issues running around already.  Throw in religion.  What could possibly go wrong become !fun!?

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 09:12:40 am »

Ferk yer.

A bunch of drunken, irrational dwarves with emotional issues running around already.  Throw in religion.  What could possibly go wrong become !fun!?
:-\
Holy wars? Crusades? Rebellions because a noble doesn't want to worship a particular God? Murders over religious sqables, values deasance between worshipers?

...so much potential for awesome.....this is a great idea  ;D
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

shoeless

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Father of Three
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2015, 09:36:16 am »

I would love to see a random dwarf carrying a sign that states (in the civ's language),

THE END IS NEAR
A weregecko ate my father.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2015, 09:40:46 am »

I would love to see a random dwarf carrying a sign that states (in the civ's language),

THE END IS NEAR

Ahhhw yha.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2015, 05:29:00 pm »

THE END IS NEAR

Urist McCranky: "Oh, great, another one of those religious fanatics with a sign"
Urist McSlightlyMoreObservant: "Er, isn't that the dwarf that was retired from exterior watch squad leader to guarding the Magma Lever Room after his throat was torn out by a giant raven?"
ALL: [PAUSE, LOOK AT SIGN, PAUSE, LOOK AT EACH OTHER]: "RUN!!"
:)

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2015, 07:24:04 pm »

Yeah, i see all those elvish goodness of freedom and safety, with temples filled by horrified to death naked prisoners, who are coming from altar with all guardians and slaughering your folks like true mad queeens!!!

or just next table/well where dorfs can throw a party... just with other name and new noble... or without even...

Just a place to throw a party... or !!MAGMA!!
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Goblins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2015, 08:23:58 pm »

Oh joy, temples!

First I better learn how to build a door...
Edit: BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! A goblin just got gelded by a copper mace in a weapon trap! This game is the greatest.
Urist McLeader stopped eating Kitten Tripe : Creating God

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2015, 05:51:49 am »

Oh joy, temples!

Easy! First make either a carpenter's workshop or a Masonry, and then use q to give them a new task. Then either use "d" to quick select door to be made for construction, or go through it with + and - until you find it and then hit enter to select it. Remember, numbpad is your friend.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2015, 07:32:42 am »

Oh joy, temples!

First you need door furniture built. They can be made from wood (why would you build a door out of wood ? you're not an elf right ?), stone, glass, or metal. You therefore order a door made from the corresponding workshop (stone doors and masonry are the easiest way, in general).

Then you place doors with b-d. You can only place doors next to walls.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2015, 12:55:57 pm »

Yeah, i see all those elvish goodness of freedom and safety, with temples filled by horrified to death naked prisoners, who are coming from altar with all guardians and slaughering your folks like true mad queeens!!!

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2015, 04:48:19 pm »

Except that temples are only going to be place holders.  As stated, there will be no curses or holy wars.  There was no mention of being able to make specific statues/engravings (at least in the last blurb).  What was stated was that you can select a deity appropriate to your civilizations.  There will also be quality modifiers, from "shrine" to "grand temple" I believe.  The only purpose the temple will be to give warm fuzzy feelings to dwarves with devout personalities. 

The only cool thing about this (for now) is that civilizations can start worshiping megabeasts if the critter successfully attacked them enough.  So you can make a grand temple for "Hakkar, a giant winged serpent made of flesh. Beware his poisonous blood!" In this case, sacrifices become mandatory.  At first you can butcher a few pigs here, but to truly stave off the destruction of your fort you will be required to sacrifice sentients on the altar at least once a season.  The method for sacrifice is up to you, but it must be as messy (bloody) as possible.  No true temple will be complete without a fresh coating of blood splatter applied several times a year.  BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2015, 05:23:49 pm »

I want the old demons back.

Yes, even the comparatively boring frog demons. Spirits of fire are gonna be very, very fragile though...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7