Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 507314 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!
« Reply #4095 on: September 05, 2022, 04:21:32 pm »

Yeah the campaign AI is quite timid compared to TWHII. LotW's take is they want to encourage settlement battles, so the AI will hide in its cities at the first whiff of trouble and wait for you there.

And I think it's specific to the player. I watched Wintertooth have like 6 total armies, 3 of of their own and three allies, rampaging over northern Kislev. I wreckessly went in there to pick a fight, got one decent 1v3 battle and then the rest (including Throgg who didn't even participate in the battle) scattered. That was my first and only actual battle dealing with Winterooth, the rest was jut clean up.

Never would have gotten away with that in TWH2. They would have immediately gone after my unprotected settlements.

What campaign difficulty are you playing on? There's a bug currently where AI aggressiveness is inverse to difficulty setting chosen, i.e. the legendary AI is the most timid.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: September 05, 2022, 04:41:52 pm »

Normal, though I think I'm going to try higher difficulties, because it's just too easy.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: September 05, 2022, 04:50:43 pm »

I'm also doing normal, but have experienced enemies frequently going after my more vulnerable settlements. (Skaven, tzeentch, and a bit o' lizards for good measure.) Even had some skaven doing underway sneakiness once to avoid map chokepoints.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: September 05, 2022, 04:53:42 pm »

I had Daemons of Chaos attack an unprotected settlement once I'd declared war on them. But they'd already been nosing around Norscan territory and the settlement was pretty isolated.

I dunno, just based on how often the AI would opportunistically do stuff in TWH2 and sometimes frustrate me with its precision, it seems to be avoiding me mostly in TWH3.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: September 05, 2022, 04:56:20 pm »

What campaign difficulty are you playing on? There's a bug currently where AI aggressiveness is inverse to difficulty setting chosen, i.e. the legendary AI is the most timid.

That would explain a lot about my experiences with the IE beta.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4100 on: September 06, 2022, 12:32:38 pm »

Prior to 2.1, the campaign AI bonus system was using the 'Battle' difficulty setting. This was addressed in 2.1 and did not affect anyone playing on E/E, N/N, H/H, VH/VH.

The WARHAMMER AI construction system has a bug where it tries to deal with building upkeep incorrectly. This results in AI construction being much slower than intended and will be fixed in Update 2.2.

From a post on their reddit - looks like the AI glitch was a little different than thought.

Also, new patch.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: September 06, 2022, 03:39:17 pm »

They also implemented a limited confederation system for Archaon/Belakor, and let Chaos subjugate even more factions.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: September 06, 2022, 05:37:20 pm »

Tempted to restart my Archaon campaign, in light of this and other things.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: September 07, 2022, 04:44:10 pm »

I HATE MALUS DARKBLADE

I can litterally beat every unit, have like 8-9 good units left over... have them all fight malus 1 by 1 so he doesn't splash too much, he barely gets any damage after a good 15 minutes he withdraws with more than half hp left, while he retreats I don't do dmg either, next fight he is back with full hp. I don't have many range units for choice yet, and they barely scratch him too.

I WANT HIM GONE FUCKING CHEESE-ELVES invincible stupid cheese elves even some basic spear units seems to hold their own against khorne units pretty well, I've been trying so hard, for so long... ugh

Spoiler: AW YISS (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 05:14:26 pm by dragdeler »
let

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4104 on: September 07, 2022, 05:59:15 pm »

I assume you left him as alone as possible while you killed his army? Malus is one of those LL that you either have to throw multiple characters at to kill in good order, or force the army losses on them. Depending on what kind of army you took against him (melee vs. ranged), that can be hard or very hard to make happen without significant losses.

Might check his magic resistance in both forms. Single target character attack spells like Spirit Leech get a pretty bad rep for good reason. But this is one instance where it might make more sense to just zap him into submission than wasting arrows (i.e balance of power) that don't hurt him or sacrificing melee units (also balance of power.) If you want to inflict the army losses retreat on him early, you have to lose as few of units as possible before you engage him, and while you're engaging him. Every unit you lose means that much more (really difficult to apply) damage he has to take before he'll break, even after his entire army is gone.

Malus is up there with Vlad, Grimgor some dwarven LLs and a few others that even in the AI's hands are basically not worth fighting with anything until the rest of their army is dead. If he were slow it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but with Dark Elf speed plus being very hard to kill and a decent melee combatant, he kind of demands an answer.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 06:01:06 pm by nenjin »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: September 07, 2022, 06:56:41 pm »

I just send back an agent in time, to sell the tablesilver, and be able to autoresolve the remaining forces out of sight. You wouldn't believe how many times I restarted that campaign, it had to be done. I'm currently wasting a lot of time rededicating my cities to other chaos gods........ Now that I know how I'd build I should just start over again, but there is no way I'm dealing with Malus darkblade again. I'd rather fight gigantic mega factions that own half the map, if before I can make some really good armies in peace to do it.

By the time I'm leaving the chaos wastes there will be like 60 factions left in the world xD...
let

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: September 07, 2022, 09:09:57 pm »

Malus also got some hefty buffs in 3 IE, from what I hear in the multiplayer community. General suggestion is to mass ranged AP against him, but as Khorne... just gotta slog it, I guess.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: September 08, 2022, 05:42:15 am »

...Malus got buffed? But he was already OP in the old game...
Love, scriver~

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4108 on: September 08, 2022, 09:47:20 am »

Potentially just a side effect of how WH3 handles healing, but his regen is a little ridiculous currently.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: September 08, 2022, 09:50:16 am »

There's a couple of lords that benefitted significantly from the healing changes. Ghorst for instance got some nerfs in 2.1 because the changes buffed him a lot.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 277