Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 507174 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!
« Reply #4125 on: February 27, 2023, 12:14:00 pm »

It's hard I restarted it several times, I think you should find my post not that far back, but basically festus gets worse the longer it goes on...

It's best to deal with him very early, like after 5-10 turns, ignore everything you wanted done right away, and go deal with him first. Also make ample use of your elector mechanics: carve out a place for yourself, AND STICK TO IT, the landmass to the northeast is ridiculously big, you will allways overextend if you grow there, instead give the settlements to your elector counts and boost them by completing the province for them, so they're a little less weak and super loyal.

It's the only way I found to "thrive" in that campaign, that being said once you're comfortable and turn west the pain continues. Not that woodelves and bretons are invincible, but their diplomatic relations will blueball you until the beastmen come from "spain" or the demons come from "england".
let

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: February 28, 2023, 05:47:18 am »

So, it just hit me. For we think Cathay's roster feels so barebones because they plan to DLC it up?
Love, scriver~

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: February 28, 2023, 10:30:36 am »

Yep. Same with most of the other WH3 factions.

Thankfully there are some decent mods to fill out rosters a bit.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: February 28, 2023, 07:20:59 pm »

Honestly it's kind of been the same for almost all the factions when they first came out.

It felt the most egregious for the daemons of chaos since they lean so hard into singular playstyles, but it's been pretty true for all of the factions before dlc fleshed them out. Skaven on release were very haggard to play, iirc.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: February 28, 2023, 10:15:34 pm »

Yeah, Cathay has about the same number of units that the empire did on the first game's release. The difference is the Empire has had two DLC and a number of free updates Cathay hasn't.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: March 14, 2023, 04:42:42 pm »

To the surprise of pretty much nobody, the next DLC is Chaos Dwarves. And its coming out April 13th.

Standard showcase cinematic trailer and a blog post.

Looks like this pack just has 3 Legendary Lords, Astragoth Ironhand, Drazhoath the Ashen, and Zhatan the Black, but there's also a legendary hero unit as well. The blog post only goes into details on Astragoth but it also mentions that there's going to be a new magic type, Lore of Hashut, and talks about a few new units like dwarf centaurs called Bull Centaurs, and a winged creature called a Bale Taurus that seems to be the faction's dragon equivalent (and a mount option from the sound of it).
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: March 15, 2023, 01:11:24 pm »

I'm willing to bet CD will be pretty OP. And that regular dwarves are going to need a rework afterward.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: March 15, 2023, 04:28:46 pm »

I mean, was there a new faction DLC that didn't launch with them being strong? I guess I don't remember Beastmen or Tomb Kings being considered OP at launch but I wasn't paying a ton of attention to faction strength those times.
Sigtext

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: March 16, 2023, 11:17:19 pm »

Pretty sure Beastmen were trash at launch :P
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: March 16, 2023, 11:31:22 pm »

WH1 DLC was kind of a different dynamic since they were still trying to get a good handle on how to do them. And Tomb Kings was still a bit early on - that is to say the 'DLC OP' trend started a little later in the life cycle.

Beastmen, though... not only were they trash at launch, they were trash until the sunset of WH2 whereupon a they got a pretty solid rework that just so happened to be alongside a super-OP dlc for them. (Taurox's mechanics were toned down later, but on release he could literally beat the game on turn 1 with the right mechanic abuse.)

As to Chaos Dwarves, from the early footage it looks like most troops beyond 'labor' expendables are limited-recruit, which probably means they'll be more balanced early-game but steamroll (har har) pretty heavily once they can start fielding doomstacks. Also possible CA flubs the more complicated economy they're giving them and they'll just be painful to play a la the earlier iteration of wood elves.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: March 25, 2023, 03:18:35 am »

The Wood Elf mechanics when the original DLC released weren't too great either, what with the whole Amber mechanic and requiring them for upkeep of either elf or forest spirit units depending on if you were Orion or Durthu.

Yeah, the Chaos Dwarfs have a limited recruit system for their dwarf and artillery/vehicle units. Like how the Beastmen have for their units, you spend weapons resource to increase the caps. Increasing the caps also unlocks new tiers of runes to upgrade those units with.
5:21 of the "Drazhoath the Ashen" gameplay video.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: April 05, 2023, 06:10:14 pm »

New FreeLC coming to TWH3.

Regrettably, IMO, it's a new game mode.

Mirrors of Madness will be two new game modes focused on Tzeentch. The first mode is a series of battles where you get rated and can spend points earned from your rating on upgrading unique army abilities. Some of them do look pretty cool.....and they've added new ragdoll physics and effects. So like sucking up an entire regiment in a tornado and then flinging them across the battlefield.

The other mode is a customizable one-off battle where you can tweak all the parameters yourself. Basically a highly customizable Skirmish mode. Unit size, all the unit attributes, native game physics like gravity and ragdolling.....so if you've ever wanted to see how far you need to push TWH before it crashes the game, this is the mode for you.

I imagine this FreeLC is as much to test new features and mechanics as much as it is to tide people over. I still, to date, have zero interest in playing anything outside of IE. So I hope this isn't the dominant thrust of their future DLC plans. Although a mode focused on just one Chaos god implies the others will follow......

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: April 05, 2023, 07:07:23 pm »

This sounds basically like a tweaked version of the Laboratory FreeLC they did back in 2 (complete with Intel partnership: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/skaven-labs/), so I wouldn't read too much into this as an indicator for future plans.
Sigtext

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: April 14, 2023, 12:11:17 pm »

They want bloody 25€ (off 10% until the 20th) for it. I would have bought a dlc fullprice for the first time, but at what used to be the price of race dlcs... Nah I think I'll wait.
let

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4139 on: April 26, 2023, 11:01:16 am »

Same, I'll wait for a sale. Can still fight against them even without the DLC
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277