Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 507595 times)

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!
« Reply #3840 on: June 03, 2021, 03:06:59 pm »

Ah, so that's basically a deal breaker for me.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: June 03, 2021, 04:03:17 pm »

How so?

Not owning the first game means you don't get to use the factions that are from the first game, despite them being present on the world map, nothing particularly strange about that.
Besides, just the base game of WH2 offers a fairly large and developed campaign map with 4 big factions, each with several lords, free or otherwise. Similarly the ME map has some more free stuff and is even larger. Not owning the DLC will strip you of some unit and lord choices but you can always get those afterwards if you like the game itself.

Hell, just buying both the first and the second game is going to give you so much different shit to play that you probably won't need any of the DLC unless you want a specific race to play.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: June 03, 2021, 04:08:02 pm »

It effectively makes TWW 2 an expansion of TWW1. With various DLC factions and whatnot for each game. I'd feel more ripped off if you had to rebuy everything from 1 into 2, honestly.

Like, yeah, tons of DLC for you to spend money on. But you only need the ones you're actually going to play with personally. And if you're playing the game enough to warrant buying all the various DLCs you're certainly getting your money's worth. Especially if you buy stuff on sale.

I agree it's not as great when you're coming into the games late like this. But if you look at it from the perspective of people who owned 1 when 2 came out, it's really not a bad model. Better than most, in many ways.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3843 on: June 03, 2021, 04:35:58 pm »

I'd say it's even better if you're coming in late, you can get some of that older content on sale pretty often while I paid full price at the time.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: June 03, 2021, 04:38:38 pm »

Functionally better, yeah. Though I suppose from a "Feels better" standpoint people don't really like having to buy multiple games to get a single experience.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3845 on: June 03, 2021, 04:41:43 pm »

I guess. I mean, you get all of WH2 content if you buy WH2. Basegame WH2 is still a lot of game. If you have a specific favorite race, buy them. I never buy ALL of the DLC for these games because there are some races I simply don't care to play as. I think I only bought 2 packs from WH1 and so far have only bought tomb kings from WH2. You don't need all of them really.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #3846 on: June 03, 2021, 04:54:29 pm »

Functionally better, yeah. Though I suppose from a "Feels better" standpoint people don't really like having to buy multiple games to get a single experience.

Yep, the exact reason why I'm not getting it. I'll wait around for Warhammer 3. If it has that same scheme where you're informally *nudged* to get previous whole base games, just to unlock or be able to things in a new iteration, then predictably I'm not getting Warhammer 3 either.

It just wouldn't make sense for me to fork up some doh for a game I'm not going to play a lot at all, just for a singular game as you rightfully inference. I expect some to come over and say "well maybe it's good to keep 1, just in case you want to least check it out or just for backup in case you get bored of 2 down the line".... but no, such a thing isn't going to work for me really; especially for a game like Warhammer 2 that already has tons of DLC. Not even Paradox, the company that locks tons of important mechanics behind DLCs (then subsequently makes them free later on, putting a wrench to people who payed good money for the said mechanics to beginning; they could've just waited), makes it so that if you don't own "X" game, you don't "Y" content.

Though with me tempting fate, it's possible that they may do that sort of thing.. but that's yet to be seen.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: June 03, 2021, 05:21:46 pm »

IIRC, you have to buy the Mortal Empires DLC in TWH1 to play it in TWH2.

I can't really defend CA's DLC policy. I got TWH1 and some DLC from a friend so they spared me the entry cost. Is it any surprise though that a game this close to TT Warhammer has a pricing scheme similar to if you were playing TT?

So I can't defend it. But I think, after you've bought enough DLC it's worth it. The only reason I have all the DLCs I do is because I'm interested in playing so many different factions. If you don't care and you're just like "I like Elves" or "I like Vampires" then you can get just the base game and sink stupid amount of hours into it just with the base factions.

But yeah. Their DLC framework is confusingly laid out and I don't blame anyone for being turned off by it. If it was a new IP trying to do this, I'd have said no myself and moved on.

Also is it just me and disliking change or.....is there a slight "DoW 2 --> DoW 3" vibe for "TWH2 --> TWH3." There's some structured event-like stuff in TWH3 that I didn't find myself all that interested in when I saw it in the trailers. "Fighting against endless waves of foes" isn't the same as an actual battle simulation.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: June 03, 2021, 05:36:02 pm »

I can tell you now they're going to do the same thing with 3. Buying Warhammer 3 will give you a new game and all the 6 or so new factions they're advertising it will have, and all the new things that game will bring. It will not give you the ability to play the older factions Warhammer 1 and 2 have already.

Mortal Empires is a DLC for 2 that is free and checks if you have 1. And I'm pretty happy with the policy because 2 got plenty of playtime out of me for a standalone expansion without 1.

Also is it just me and disliking change or.....is there a slight "DoW 2 --> DoW 3" vibe for "TWH2 --> TWH3." There's some structured event-like stuff in TWH3 that I didn't find myself all that interested in when I saw it in the trailers. "Fighting against endless waves of foes" isn't the same as an actual battle simulation.
I can see the DoW3 comparisons but I think its mainly because the survival thing is a new mode, and so of course they're going to advertise the thing that's completely new to the game as opposed to your very traditional strategy campaign and multiplayer battles. Personally I hope there's coop for it because that sounds like an option that doesn't require me and a friend both having 40 hours to spare to play a multiplayer campaign, and it looks more interesting than just playing battles against the AI or standard multiplayer.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: June 03, 2021, 05:50:46 pm »

Essentially requiring us to rebuy all the faction DLC from 1 & 2 to use in 3 (because you know they're going to recycle all of that shit) is a deal breaker for me. If TWH3 was going to let you use the DLC from the previous two games, I'd have considered it.

And while I want more than 2 player coop, I'm not wild about most of the races in TWH3. So if they made more than 2 player coop possible, I might consider it. But there's no way in hell I'm buying all that DLC all over again.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: June 03, 2021, 05:57:33 pm »

I'm confused where you have to buy anything twice in this scenario. Warhammer 2 already lets you use all the DLC you own from the previous game, there's no reason to suppose they're not going to do anything different regarding Warhammer 2 DLC for 3.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 06:00:50 pm by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: June 03, 2021, 06:00:42 pm »

Sorry, I read your sentence about it twice just to make sure and that's what I came away with. It's probably my comprehension fail. It's what I've been worried about but if it's not happening (I clearly do not follow TWH news much at all), I'll probably pick up TWH3 "at some point." My coop friend fried himself on it and has no interest in 3, and frankly I still have half the factions from 2 to try out. So between that and showcasing the new mode, and the setting for it (I played all of 15 turns of a Vortex campaign and went back to ME), I can easily wait.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: June 03, 2021, 06:08:06 pm »

Sorry, that was mainly a response to Lidku saying they'd hold off until 3 to see if it did the same thing, and I didn't edit it much once I saw you posted. And what I was saying was if they do a giant map that stitches all three games together, you will absolutely have to own at least 2 to play it. So all the new stuff 3 will bring is what you should consider buying 3 for.

I'm not operating on concrete info, (we only really know concrete details on Kislev and the Khorne Chaos faction at this point) but I have seen 0 indication 3 will be different from 2 in regards to how 2 and 1 work together.
Sigtext

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: June 03, 2021, 06:34:49 pm »

Quote from: Total Warhammer 3 FAQ
The same applies for claiming the free Mortal Empires DLC – you would need to own both Total War: WARHAMMER and Total War: WARHAMMER II on the same store in order to claim it.

As far as I know there's no real details on it, but they are planning to have a giant map that stitches all three games together. Given how popular Mortal Empires is in 2, I'd be surprised if they weren't.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: June 04, 2021, 02:49:31 am »

As an addition to the DLC. Even if you don't own parts, the factions, units and characters are still present in the game. You just can't play as them.

So, if you have Warhammer II: Total War base game and play the Vortex campaign as... say... Lord Skrolk. You will still have Ikit Claw, another lord from the "Prophet and the Warlock" DLC, running around. You could even confederate him into Clan Pestilens and maybe get some of the DLC units with him, you just won't be able to recruit new ones.

No content is missing from the game not having DLC. Only the ability to play as them.

There's also quite a few free lords released now too; Gor-rok, Rakarth, Tretch Craventail, Tiktaq'to, Imrik, Repanse de Lyonesse, Lokhir Fellheart and Alith Anar.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 277