Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 508253 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2!
« Reply #3510 on: January 18, 2019, 10:06:44 am »

After a recent ambush battle, I think I will change my opinion of Plague somewhat. After casting it on 2 bunched up units of Iron Breakers and having them reduced to just about 1/3 health left I think it works very nicely.

I've had it perform not nearly as impressively against weaker units, orc boyz and the like, but it really does seem to deal most of its damage only against heavily armoured targets.

If someone would like to see how I deal with an ambush as Skaven vs Dwarfs, here's a link to the .replay file on Dropbox. I play on normal with large unit sizes.
Spoiler:  Army Lists (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 10:20:02 am by Mech#4 »
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: January 18, 2019, 03:38:18 pm »

I would highly advise making handing off Queek's army to another lord and filling his up with stormvermin halberdiers.  Your army is fine, its just... Queek gives half upkeep on stormvermin which makes them about as affordable as clanrats.

Also unless you need to kill large, single model units, I'd swap out the warp lightning cannon for a catapult.  The catapult is unbelieveably effective against armored infantry.  Its also bizarrely precise: it can hit flying units, or lob shots almost point blank over the heads of allied infantry as long as they're on slightly lower elevation.  See, magic is nice, but Skaven siege operators have mastered the most violent and powerful school of forbidden knowledge: trigonometry.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: January 18, 2019, 04:02:15 pm »

I would highly advise making handing off Queek's army to another lord and filling his up with stormvermin halberdiers.  Your army is fine, its just... Queek gives half upkeep on stormvermin which makes them about as affordable as clanrats.

Also unless you need to kill large, single model units, I'd swap out the warp lightning cannon for a catapult.  The catapult is unbelieveably effective against armored infantry.  Its also bizarrely precise: it can hit flying units, or lob shots almost point blank over the heads of allied infantry as long as they're on slightly lower elevation.  See, magic is nice, but Skaven siege operators have mastered the most violent and powerful school of forbidden knowledge: trigonometry.
I personally found the warp lightning cannon to be way scarier than the catapult.

The catapult is absolutely useless against large units. Warp lightning cannon shreds them.

The catapult is only good against clumps of infantry, like all catapult units. Warp lightning cannon is good against everything and will shred infantry lines too.

For almost all factions except the Dwarfs, most of their scary, threatening units are small model size, not clumps of units. Dragons, cavalry, lords, heroes, monsters, giant fucking lizards, etc. These are priority one targets. This is what your artillery should nuke. Warp lightning cannon is ideal for this.

Catapult, like all catapults, can't really aim for shit. They miss like 1/2 their shots. It's why they're only useful against large groups. Warp lightning cannon is deadly accurate and will down a pegasus from across the map. This is huge, and is why even though the catapult technically does more damage I don't think it's as good, it keeps missing.

Warp lightning only has one flaw compared to the catapult. It's like guns. Can't arc its shots. So when the enemy lines hit, you can't really do anything. That being said... most times the catapult can't do anything at that close range too. If anything the lightning cannon can actually hit the large units attacking your front line, which might make it better.

The warp lightning cannon is like having 4 Luminark of Hysh's in one unit.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: January 18, 2019, 04:08:05 pm »

I think 2 catapults and one cannon is the optimum (plus a warlock engineer). My catapults hammer infantry/big groups whilst my warp lightning cannon hits the big units. There's sort of no reason not to have that in each army - they deal such high damage that you're crippling yourself without.

I find that catapults can fire relatively close - I can normally keep firing throughout as long as my battle line has moved a bit forward. I normally tend to truck them into a better spot later on if there's one near by.
I'd also recommend putting the warp lighting cannon to one side - it can be easily moved round to hit the stuff from the side (keeping it useful), and being side on assists with fewer misses.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: January 18, 2019, 05:29:46 pm »

The warp lightning cannon has a crippling weakness: all three cannons will unerringly aim at the flag of the unit its firing at.  Its the difference between killing like... 5 dwarves, or wiping out half the unit's health.

Even against monstrous infantry, the warp lightning cannon is pretty wasteful.  Since you're unlikely to hit more than 1 due to the way those units stand, your absolute best scenario is killing one every shot.  Against a unit type that typically has bad defensive stats and 12 models, that's not impressive.

IME the only case where the lightning cannon will do better in single player is firing at units that only have one model.  So... against high elves for example, warp lightning cannon is never better (unless you're up against 5+ flying creatures but siege weapons aren't what wins you that fight anyway).  Against lizardmen on the other hand its indispensable.

So, early and midgame, in Eye of the Vortex, that's... one faction I would bring a warp lightning cannon against.  I guess if I was playing as Clan Rictus I'd bring a couple to fight Morinth to take out her starting Hydra.  In the lategame the formula completely turns around tho.  The armies from the last two rituals are going to be swarming with monstrous creatures, and also a cannon can take out those nasty lvl 5 garrison towers about twice as fast as a catapult.  Although because of angles a catapult will be much better at clearing the walls, and the only one of the two useful against things on the other side of a wall.  I've tried to use lightning cannons defensively by having an infantry unit stand in a gate and the cannon fire through it... would not recommend.

This may be an issue of difficulty tho.  On normal battle difficulty, Skaven aren't worried about lords, cavalry, light infantry, archers... most things really.  If you can beat it by selecting two spears + shields clanrats and right clicking on it, its not a threat.  Its pretty much just "what do I do against armored infantry," that's your only real problem.  Stat bonuses in this game apply much more heavily to weak units and high model count units than to strong units and low model count units.  So at higher difficulties, elites and low model count units become vastly more important.  Because if you take an already better unit and bump up its melee defense using a multiplier rather than addition... weak units just won't be able to hit it.  I guarantee you on normal difficulty I have never met a calvalry unit that cannot be beaten by clanrat spears with shields, usually 1v1.  I imagine that becomes far less viable on legendary battle difficulty (which is why I personally bump up caimpaign difficulty and leave battle difficulty alone).  Same disclaimer as before: all of this is singleplayer.  In multiplayer my strat would be "don't play Skaven".
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: January 18, 2019, 10:08:52 pm »

Nope, I make armies with usually only 1 unit of Stormvermin. They're the lords bodyguard. It's a hold over I have from 6th edition Skaven rules where you could only take 1 unit of stormvermin in the entire army. I like making do with less of the elite units then absolutely neccessary. The army is like this because I had recently confederated with Clan Mors and that's what Queeks army was like, hence the 8 units of Clanrats, it's unchanged from what the A.I. recruited.
The catapults nice but I'd take it more for its contaminated effect then the damage it can do. -10 leadership is good to push wavering units over to fleeing.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: January 19, 2019, 11:31:31 am »

See, magic is nice, but Skaven siege operators have mastered the most violent and powerful school of forbidden knowledge: trigonometry.
we shall take-take their slide-rules
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: January 21, 2019, 12:07:13 pm »

See, magic is nice, but Skaven siege operators have mastered the most violent and powerful school of forbidden knowledge: trigonometry.
we shall take-take their slide-rules
Find sine-sine for Horned Rat!

I love Skaven so much.  As is they're horrifying, but if you made them maybe two or three steps less genuinely dangerous they would be ineffectual children's cartoon villains.

Quote from: steam chat with my friend
oh my god.  I'm literally a Redwall villain

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: January 21, 2019, 01:22:10 pm »

Skaven are easily my favorite baddie GWS race. It used to be orks, before GWS forgot how to have fun and just put more spikes on literally everything.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: January 22, 2019, 04:02:03 pm »

Skaven are easily my favorite baddie GWS race. It used to be orks, before GWS forgot how to have fun and just put more spikes on literally everything.

This. Skaven are literally capable of being a world ending menace, but they're so hilariously incompetent and backstabbing that they usually fuck up badly. They're the Hillary Clinton of WH factions.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: January 22, 2019, 11:19:10 pm »

There's been an update to the Festag Beta Update. Several changes have been made affecting lord skills as well as some buildings.

Spoiler: Change List (click to show/hide)

Some of the more notable things, and things that I'm pretty sure weren't in the previous version of the beta patch, is some skills for Throgg that buff troll units (previously, I think the lord skill changes had removed such buffs). Adding the missing wall building chain to Wurtbad, Troll Lair to Karak Kadrin and fixed double Beast Lairz in Karak Angazhar for Greenskins. Also changed so Wood Elves can trade with Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast after assigning a council seat.

There's also a change to lord recruitment level. Tying into an issue people had with Black Arcs replacing higher ranked lords in the recruitment pool, the lord level increases some buildings give are now applied to every province. The example given was the building Palace of Dread Knights which previously increasesd lord recruitment rank by +2. It now increases it by +1 but this affects every province so lords you recruit should be of significantly higher level later on in the campaign.
This has also been added to some other faction buildings, listed below:

Vampire Counts – Necromancer’s Tower
    Brettonia – Cathedral of the Lady
    Norsca – Vikti Temple
    Vampire Coast – Pirate Wharf

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: January 26, 2019, 01:28:13 pm »

PTW. I'm far from an expert or even particularly skilled in this game, but I can probably contribute into conversations sooner or later.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: January 29, 2019, 06:41:44 pm »

This game is my first introduction to Warhammer... its not what I expected from 40k's older sister.  Like its dark, yeah, but... a lot of fantasy is dark.  Nothing about it is that extra special dark, and it actually seems like the common people of the "order" races live fundamentally decent lives outside of the various invasions and apocalypses.  The unit descriptions emphasize that the humans of the empire have long enough periods of peace that they actually stop believing in certain types of Evil.  That's already so different from 40k where the imperium will never let its citizens forget that evil lurks around every corner, and the things that evil wants to do in Warhammer (body horror, genocide, slavery) are casually done by the good guys in 40k.

Like don't get me wrong, I'm digging it.  Its like Tolkien in the age of sail.  The Empire seems to be the Holy Viking Empire (deifying a Conan the Barbarian dude instead of ancient emperors as happened in Rome), which I'm fine with.  And the "chaos" races seem to be a metaphor for wilderness, anarchy, and decay.  Essentially what the world is if humans don't tame it.  So the whole game is basically a dramatization of Man's ancient quest to build a house and keep everything else out of the house.  Which is a better definition of good + evil than most fantasy stories have, in the end.

Anyway I like the setting its just... not what I expected from from being introduced to 40k first.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: January 29, 2019, 09:25:49 pm »

They're inspired by different sources, 40k took a lot of inspiration from things like Mad Max, Alien and Judge Dredd and so on. Dystopian sci-fi was very much in when the basic concepts of 40k were being laid down, while Fantasy was inspired by D&D, historical trivia and pulp fantasy.

Fantasy is mostly just 'the good guys hate each other more than usual for fantasy, and we don't shy away from Ogres eating children or mutant babies being abandoned in the woods' type dark, with a lot of black humour thrown in.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: January 30, 2019, 05:28:40 am »

It's a quest to build a house and keep everything else out of the house, as you say, but you should realize that you're building it on the ashes of the mansion you burned down the last time something got in. The overarching theme of Fantasy is that the greatness of the past can never be truly rebuilt, and something is lost every time the pieces are put back together; it's an unavoidable spiral towards utter decay, but maybe, just maybe, we can slow it down if we fight for what we believe in.

In contrast, the overarching theme of 40k is that we've reached the end of that spiral, everything is truly lost and nothing matters anymore. We've forgotten what we fight for and thus have become only barely distinguishable from our enemies. We keep fighting not because we want to, but because it's the only thing we still know how to do.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 277