Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 508891 times)

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2!
« Reply #2160 on: June 06, 2017, 05:23:28 pm »

Weren't the actual units FreeLC, and the Legendary Lords were the bitz that cost money?

Irregardless, so long as I can use a Slaan and blow out half an enemy army, I'm chill. God toads.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: June 06, 2017, 06:48:54 pm »

Weren't the actual units FreeLC, and the Legendary Lords were the bitz that cost money?

Irregardless, so long as I can use a Slaan and blow out half an enemy army, I'm chill. God toads.
There were FLC units and DLC units. Blood Knights were free. Flagellants were not.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: June 06, 2017, 09:00:20 pm »

The vast majority of units added in were not FLC, with the exception of Blood Knights. You could occasionally get DLC units in your armies through confederating, but otherwise, you can't get Flagellents, Bolt Throwers, Mortis Engines, or squigs without the DLC.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 10:02:49 pm by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: June 06, 2017, 09:57:12 pm »

The army list for the High Elves really isn't missing that much. The only ones that are too suprising are the Shadow Warriors and the Arch Mage lords. Mage lords are a bit iffy because in Warhammer 1 there's been little advantage in taking a mage lord over a hero, however this may change with the magic system rework they're implementing for part 2.

I have been very happy with the unit pack DLCs that Creative Assembly has made so far. "The Grim and the Grave" and "The King and the Warlord" both have a nice number of additional units, 2 lords each as well as new maps, item quests and regiments of renown for ~$10 AUD/$8 USD.

So far I've seen some speculation that we might see a lord pack based around Alarielle the Radiant and a Dark Elf lord, Hellebron maybe?

Anything else about the list? Hm, it seems a bit odd to split a unit like the Ellyrian Reavers into melee and ranged units when their purpose was to be more multi-rolled like the Lothern Seaguard.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: June 07, 2017, 12:33:43 am »

I bet there is going to be Elven Rivalry pack with LL for both knife-ears, Shadow Warriors for HElves and something else for DElves. Maybe something similar about Lizards/Rats. I can't help but feel annoyed by these kind of DLC. I'm fine with adding stuff later on, but Sega DLC policy feels like leaving portions of the game off on purpose to ask money for them later.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: June 07, 2017, 09:16:01 am »

A new race pack has been announced as coming for Warhammer 1: Total war later this year in a post on the Total War Facebook page. Along with this, while not relevent to Warhammer, was mention of a large campaign pack DLC for one of their recent historical titles (Link to image shared) as well as the fact that their team has started working on the next historical title for Total War.

Spoiler:  Copy of post text (click to show/hide)

Since the race pack DLC is for Warhammer 1: Total War, I'm guessing it's going to be the Tomb Kings as they share the southern border of the campaign map with the addition that'll be coming in Warhammer 2 of the Southlands, though people are also guessing that it might be an expansion of the southern kingdoms (Boarder Princes, Tilia, Estalia).
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: June 07, 2017, 11:14:15 am »

Since the race pack DLC is for Warhammer 1: Total War, I'm guessing it's going to be the Tomb Kings as they share the southern border of the campaign map with the addition that'll be coming in Warhammer 2 of the Southlands, though people are also guessing that it might be an expansion of the southern kingdoms (Boarder Princes, Tilia, Estalia).
I really... really don't think so.

The dev blog states:

Think along the lines of the Blood Knight Free-LC, rather than lords or anything. Not saying it’s a unit specifically, but that sort of scale addition to the game.

I don't think adding in an entire new faction of entirely new models ala Bretonnia is along the lines of the Blood Knight Free-LC.

-----

That being said, how many games are CA working on. Seems like a really high amount.

According to the blog post they're making:

Arena
FreeLC for Warhammer 1
DLC for Warhammer 1
Warhammer 2
New DLC for Attila / Rome 2
Unknown Historical Title That's Probably China
Another "Flashpoint" game like Fall of the Samurai or Napoleon

That's a lot for a single studio. And that's just the Total War team. I know CA is also making some other non-Total War games too.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: June 07, 2017, 11:36:27 am »

The dev blog states:
Think along the lines of the Blood Knight Free-LC, rather than lords or anything. Not saying it’s a unit specifically, but that sort of scale addition to the game.

I don't think adding in an entire new faction of entirely new models ala Bretonnia is along the lines of the Blood Knight Free-LC.
No that quote is referring to the "Old Friend" FLC, which is different than the new Race Pack.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: June 07, 2017, 11:38:54 am »

The dev blog states:

No that quote is referring to the "Old Friend" FLC, which is different than the new Race Pack.
Whups. I fucked up then. Guess this is what happens with 3 hours of sleep. My bad.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: June 07, 2017, 11:51:24 am »

I'd quite like the see the Tomb Kings in; they don't really seem different enough to justify being a main race, and I doubt many people would be able to appreciate the difference between Vampire Counts undead and Tomb kings undead- it's basically just undead. Yet they're still different and interesting enough that they'd work as DLC.

I don't really feel the border princes need anything doing with them, they're really not an interesting faction by any metric, they're just sort of (from a lay persons stand point) ...empire but a bit different.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: June 07, 2017, 12:43:04 pm »

I'd quite like the see the Tomb Kings in; they don't really seem different enough to justify being a main race, and I doubt many people would be able to appreciate the difference between Vampire Counts undead and Tomb kings undead- it's basically just undead. Yet they're still different and interesting enough that they'd work as DLC.

I don't really feel the border princes need anything doing with them, they're really not an interesting faction by any metric, they're just sort of (from a lay persons stand point) ...empire but a bit different.
If the Empire is fantasy Holy Roman Empire-Britannia, then the Border Princes are basically Portugal + Spain + Italia + Dwarfs + Elves + Pirates + Ogres + Basically everything. They primarily use mercenaries and unlike what is portrayed in game, are represented by many many many many many many many independent realms (technically more like independent villages) all thrown together under one banner.

If anything they're more like Crusader Kings 2 with Shattered World and random cultures on or something. And more mercenaries.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: June 07, 2017, 03:21:42 pm »

If the Empire is fantasy Holy Roman Empire-Britannia, then the Border Princes are basically Portugal + Spain + Italia + Dwarfs + Elves + Pirates + Ogres + Basically everything. They primarily use mercenaries and unlike what is portrayed in game, are represented by many many many many many many many independent realms (technically more like independent villages) all thrown together under one banner.

If anything they're more like Crusader Kings 2 with Shattered World and random cultures on or something. And more mercenaries.

That's cool, and I can imagine they're quite an interesting race for the tabletop, however in Total Warhammer they're just 'more humans', which makes it a bit difficult to get excited about as a DLC. I'm sure there's a lot of difference for hardcore fans, but for the rest of us it's difficult to differentiate, even if they're a 'merc faction'
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: June 07, 2017, 04:35:13 pm »

They actually had little to represent them on the tabletop, a few mercenary units at one point or another I think, but never an actual army of their own.

Most of what we know about them is just from setting material.

I would like to see them made distinct anyway though, and Kislev as well. Kislev is ruled by an ice witch who once froze an entire bay to trap Norscan ships in the ice so her soldiers could slaughter the raiders in their boats, and is the main bulwark against Chaos invasions. Making them more fleshed out would be a good thing if only because it makes them more interesting for Chaos, the Empire and the Vampires to fight.

The southern realms are the same in that they would be better off distinct because a bunch of playable races are around them, Bretonnia, Wood Elves, Dwarves, Orcs and Beastmen all live in areas that can bring them into conflict or alliance with the Border Princes, Tilea and Estalia. Fleshing them out, even just with unique skins and a magic lore or two, would go a long way to making them interesting obstacles in the early/mid game.

Tilea would actually be fairly easy to do honestly, a few reskinned infantry units and a bunch of stuff taken from other factions. Ogres, Dwarves, outcast knights from the Empire and Bretonnia, Orcs and Norscans are all found in Tilea's mercenary armies, along with lots of more conventional mercenaries.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: June 07, 2017, 04:45:09 pm »

That's cool, and I can imagine they're quite an interesting race for the tabletop, however in Total Warhammer they're just 'more humans', which makes it a bit difficult to get excited about as a DLC. I'm sure there's a lot of difference for hardcore fans, but for the rest of us it's difficult to differentiate, even if they're a 'merc faction'

The problem with Border Princes being DLC is that they work in something like Call of Warhammer where every city in a region having a couple unique units is completely reasonable, but not so much in a game like Total Warhammer where unit rosters are much smaller (for humans, anyway.) I can't imagine Creative Assembly making a DLC faction with more units then most of the vanilla and DLC factions. Wouldn't be surprised if they get added in a mod though, seems like the perfect faction for someone to mod in.

^I got distracted and Grim Portent posted before me and, yeah, Kislev definitely needs work. I haven't played Total Warhammer yet (might as well wait for the trilogy thingy to be finished) but from what I've seen Kislev makes for an extremely dull battleground for Empire late-game, and for Chaos early-game. Should definitely get something even if it doesn't become playable.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: June 07, 2017, 05:03:53 pm »

They actually had little to represent them on the tabletop, a few mercenary units at one point or another I think, but never an actual army of their own.

Most of what we know about them is just from setting material.

I would like to see them made distinct anyway though, and Kislev as well. Kislev is ruled by an ice witch who once froze an entire bay to trap Norscan ships in the ice so her soldiers could slaughter the raiders in their boats, and is the main bulwark against Chaos invasions. Making them more fleshed out would be a good thing if only because it makes them more interesting for Chaos, the Empire and the Vampires to fight.

The southern realms are the same in that they would be better off distinct because a bunch of playable races are around them, Bretonnia, Wood Elves, Dwarves, Orcs and Beastmen all live in areas that can bring them into conflict or alliance with the Border Princes, Tilea and Estalia. Fleshing them out, even just with unique skins and a magic lore or two, would go a long way to making them interesting obstacles in the early/mid game.

Tilea would actually be fairly easy to do honestly, a few reskinned infantry units and a bunch of stuff taken from other factions. Ogres, Dwarves, outcast knights from the Empire and Bretonnia, Orcs and Norscans are all found in Tilea's mercenary armies, along with lots of more conventional mercenaries.
Of the minor human factions, Kislev, Araby and Tilea actually had army lists. Kislev had a sort of mini-armybook for WHF and also was a full army together with Araby in Warmaster. Tilea, meanwhile, had a full roster available for them in Dogs of War. Cathay has a bunch of lore but is too far away to work. BP is pretty much everything human mixed together with some ogres, dwarfs, vampires (especially strigoi) and the odd elf, while Estalia has no lore besides "fantasy Spain".
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 277