Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 508864 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! It's out!
« Reply #2145 on: June 02, 2017, 11:59:03 pm »

Raiding and pillaging locations in Lustria for items and gold. There was also a mention of sea monsters.
I suspect sea monsters will probably just be events or attrition. Doubt you'd actually be able to fight them considering they won't be doing naval battles at all.

Well, naval battles will be auto-resolve so there could be random sea monsters spawning and roaming about, ready to ambush fleets nearby.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! It's out!
« Reply #2146 on: June 03, 2017, 11:23:13 am »

According to this, ruins and shipwrecks can lead into little ck2-esque event chains.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2!
« Reply #2147 on: June 04, 2017, 05:23:39 am »

This Reddit post has gathered all currently known info about TWW2.

I'll highlight a few:

Treasure hunting: ruins can now be treasure hunted in addition to settled.

Treasure hunting will bring up a choose-your-own-adventure style menu, upon which you can gain benefits (like treasure or recruits) or take a hit (such as army damage or Chaos corruption). Armies embarked at sea will be able to treasure hunt at sunken ships.
    Treasure hunting CYOA are pre-generated, so eventually they will repeat for the player (and you'll know the end result), but there's planned to be a large amount of them.

Settlement slot changes: Major settlements now all have 8 slots, minor settlements now all have 6 slots.

This will apply to TW:W1 factions/buildings on the combined map. Old factions will also receive new buildings, including new unique buildings.

TW:W1 factions will gain TW:W2 new features on the combined map

Bretonnian trait system will be expanded to old factions, i.e. you will get notifications telling you why this or that Lord has a trait.
    Old factions will be able to settle anywhere.

Skill trees have been reworked.

In TW:W1, the first skill point grants the spell, the second reduces cooldown. In TW:W2, the first point grants the spell, the second grants the overcast, and the third grants a Winds of Magic cost reduction.

Magic is being rebalanced across the board, though no specifics have been released.
Mazdamundi will have unique mechanics though what those mechanics are is unclear at this point.
Teclis will have access to all lores including High Magic.

Confirmed High Magic Spell: Fiery Convocation, like Winds of Death but with a fiery phoenix animation instead.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: June 04, 2017, 06:37:27 am »

I like the change to settlements. I was thinking that with the addition of roaming armies, building the increased town watch would become even more necessary. It's already a bit of a juggle trying to find space for recruitment, blacksmiths, growth and the like. Some buildings were also a bit useless, especially later in a campaign. The trade depot for the Dwarfs and trade resources kind of lost their purpose later when major trade partners were destroyed.
Addition: As it mentions in the Reddit post; the increased build slots should also help the A.I. with army recruitment, having more slots to build tie in buildings to recruit later units.

I look forward to the roaming armies. Having groups of trolls spawning in Troll Country or squigs attacking in the mountains will make neat little diversions, as long as the spawned armies aren't too big. I do kind of hope they're small enough to be warded off by the town guard, but with the increased build slots this may be less of a concern for me.

I do like the treasure hunting system. It'll give more reason to send lords out, searching for stuff.  I wonder whether they'll appear for all factions or only for one. It mentions recruits as a reward and I wonder whether that means possible cross race units?

The magic system change is also very nice. I never put two points into a spell, so putting a point in to get overcast will also give more incentive to use it. Not every spell as it is gets overcast though so will some spells have three points and others two?
Addition: There's a note in the thread that Teclis gains 8 attributes of magic rather than access to all lores of magic.

I didn't really mind the faction settling restrictions. I mean, it had positives and negatives. It meant fighting some enemies wasn't really beneficial but it also meant there was little reason to mess with, say, the south as the Empire.
Addition: Ah, it mentions races will have preferred climates with build, growth and public order penalties if you settle in a different climate.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: June 04, 2017, 09:36:54 am »

Found another interview

Highlights for those who aren't feeling like reading it (note that I don't mention anything I noticed in this thread already):
-TW:W is the most popular game of the series to date
-There are now more variations of battles, like choke points. Further, having a regular battle near a quest battle location places you in that map.
-New siege maps
-High elves have court intrigue. Through it they can make people like them, or even make two factions go to war with each other.
-Four-player multiplayer campaigns
-Only high elves in Ulthuan at game start
-Ten factions in the Southlands.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: June 04, 2017, 02:29:52 pm »

-Four-player multiplayer campaigns
That's a typo. He means the new free for all 4 player battle mode.

MP campaigns are confirmed to be two players only.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: June 05, 2017, 12:57:06 am »

I think settle everywhere is sort of bad, it should be an option to toggle, not a default. Otherwise it might result in really weird things in the old style of Wood Elves painting the entire map green. Plus I kind of like keeping allies who dwell on different terrain than I do. I just wish we could gift territory or help others settle.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: June 05, 2017, 07:30:59 am »

I think the climate penalties will be a good balance for settling anywhere.

It would be annoying to send an army all the way over to Lustria, fight one battle and have to return over the sea again (possibly taking about 10 turns) because of casualties and maybe attrition from the jungle. Being able to establish a settlement, even a tentatively held one, will make venturing into a new continent much more appealing as it's a place to retreat and recuperate.

With the public order penalties it might also prevent most factions from conquering large swaths of the map. If the public order gets too low we'll see rebel armies appearing to re-establish defeated factions. Though, that depends on whether the A.I. order bonuses cover the climate penalties or not. Certainly in the higher difficulties it would but on normal difficulty I don't know.

Dwarfs might conquer parts of the Empire, but due to order penalties the Empire faction re-emerges and gains a foothold again. I think it's better than the large amounts of devastation since, while it'll still occur with Chaos, the A.I. can be rather slow recolonising lost provinces.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: June 05, 2017, 08:04:43 am »

It is just shitty if, say, orcs take over Empire city and playing as Dwarves, I take it from them. I'd rather give the settlement back to Empire than destroy it or occupy it, but the game doesn't let me do that anymore. (TW:W in general doesn't allow gifting settlements.) If I don't occupy it, orcs can resettle it. (Which is a new thing in TW:W 2)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: June 05, 2017, 08:16:19 am »

It is true. You can do it the roundabout way by taking the settlement and letting the rebel forces spawn from low order and take it from you. That is a janky way to accomplish it though, yes.

Also, thinking on the climate mechanic, I would assume some factions won't be affected by it. Greenskins probably won't be and Vampire Counts also, Greenskins being pretty much everywhere and Vampire Counts relying on corruption.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: June 05, 2017, 07:19:24 pm »

We'll know the high elf roster tomorrow apparently. Hope someone here reposts it because I'll be out all day and not all sites work that well on my phone.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: June 06, 2017, 11:19:34 am »

The High Elf roster has been posted on the Creative Assembly blog.  There's a write up on Tyrion and Teclis on the blog as well.

Spoiler: High Elf Roster (click to show/hide)

I don't know much of the High Elf army lists so I won't catch everything but the list seems pretty complete. A few units that are missing from a quick comparison to an army list are the Shadow Warriors, Lothern Skycutter, Sisters of Avalorn, White Lion Chariots and the Anointed of Asuryan. I like that they've got the phoenixes as well as the various dragon types.

I think the Shadow Warriors are much like the Lothern Seaguard, but sneakier. It's not too suprising to me the Lothern Skycutter isn't in as a flying artillary chariot sounds quite complicated to implement well. The Sisters of Avalorn are apparently a very shooty ranged unit. There's also the Anointed of Asuryan, a hero Phoenix Guard general, which is also the only hero who can take a Phoenix as a mount in the tabletop.

From the information on the Lizardmen quest battle that was displayed a little while ago, I believe there's an error in the list as that quest battle had High Elf Mages on the Ithilmar Chariots.

Edits while reading comments on official forums: Oooh, apparently Phoenixes have a 50% chance to resurrect when killed. This in itself is really cool but that also speaks well for the Hellpit Abomination for the Skaven.
Also, it seems like the High Elf units get a buff when they're above 50% health to represent Martial Prowess special rule, giving +50% charge resistance and +12 melee defense.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 11:29:50 am by Mech#4 »

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: June 06, 2017, 02:58:01 pm »

I bet they are saving units and LLs to sell as DLC on purpose.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: June 06, 2017, 03:03:53 pm »

I bet they are saving units and LLs to sell as DLC on purpose.
Sort of. You can see by the HElf list that it's a pretty solid selection aimed towards being more accessible, without a lot of micro. There's also matters of budget and, of course, SEGA demanding a dlc plan.

As long as it isn't day-1 dlc, I'm ok with it.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: June 06, 2017, 03:08:14 pm »

I predict there's going to be some sort of Elf DLC like the Empire/Vampire or Dwarf/Greenskin DLCs for Warhammer 2 that adds LLs and units.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 277