Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: What is everyone's favorite Fallout and Elder Scrolls games (If you play them)  (Read 9373 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile

On the other end of the spectrum. Giants!

HMMMMM? HMMMM? HMMMMM?

Such curious creatures.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

My favorite Fallout is New Vegas (I only played NV and 3) and my favorite ES...probably Skyrim, just because I have it on computer and can mod the everloving crap out of it.

The thing that I absolutely fucking LOVE about NV is that everything you do feels like it MATTERS and that you're building up to something (and the endings will reflect this) That alone scores it a fave in my book.

Though I have to say that I like the setting of 3 better, simply because it feels more like a post-apocalyptic wasteland and less like...a perfectly normal desert. Basically everything else about NV is better though.

As for the ES I am somewhat ashamed that I simply can't play Morrowind. I have the game, but the awful awful combat and such just fucking RUIN it for me.
I had a friend who would go on about the political machinations and such and it sounded fucking amazing but I just can't get into it because arrows go through things without hurting them! GRAHHH

I eagerly await Skywind is all I'm saying.

Oblivion has a place in my heart simply because it was like Morrowind but I could actually fucking PLAY THE THING. And boy did I ever. A friend of mine on Xbox Live got the game a few years back and every time he would approach a character I would SAY THE CHARACTERS LINES BEFORE THEY DID. My friend was both amused and horrified.

I dislike a lot about vanilla Skyrim. The obvious casualization, the fact that magic has been more or less nerfed just to look prettier, etc. But the modding just makes it all fucking better. Of course my computer is in a state where I can't actually play it right now  :'( but I appreciate the time I had with it.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile

I'm going to buck the trend here and say that Fallout 2 is by far my favorite of the series, while it opens hard and stays that way throughout (gods damn you to hell Horrigan), the game is just gold.  The characters are awesome (Marcus is just a blast to talk to, Myron is hilariously dumb, Sulik is just plain fun), the locations are fun (not really anything special but still memorable, Vault City anyone?), and the tasks you can complete are extremely varied and engaging (Sierra Army Depot).  Does getting critically blasted in the head by an Enclave patrolman (or woman, equal opportunity employers, those miserable oil tycoons) with a gauss pistol suck?  Yes it does, but that makes wasting the whole lot of them at Arroyo a truly beautiful experience.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Eesh, no love for fallout tactics?

... yeah, FO:T gets no love. FO1 & 2 were both pretty nice. Can't recall if I finished either, but they get kicked on every once in a long while and mucked with a bit before being forgotten again. I still haven't played the FO3 related stuff -- yet to have managed to get my hands on a computer that can really run 'em. Skyrim's more or less in the same position, unfortunately. I'd kinda' like to, one of these days, though. TES's strength has always been environment and whatnot, substantially over gameplay and mechanics, and what I've seen of Skyrim via video and such definitely has it as a decent successor of the earlier games in that realm.

Anywaaay. I loved morrowind's aesthetics more than just about every other aspect of it, and doubly so once you mod out several of the annoyances (like the leveling system -- fuck the vanilla leveling system -- and the lack of passive magicka regen) so you can just seamlessly explore around, talk to people, explore ruins, caves, etc., etc. And mod in more junk, of course. Still, dem mushrooms and mushroom towers. The towers were hell to navigate due to the small corridors, but so uniquely pretty :3

Oblivion... every once in a while I kick oblivion back on and try to mod it into something I want to play, partially succeed, and then get bored with it usually about two seconds later -- by the time the mods are half working, interest has waned :P

With that said, though, Nehrim was kinda' freaking awesome (and considerably easier to get to just run) and for that alone Oblivion largely ties with morrowind for me in terms of overall enjoyment, even if the TES folks can't claim too terribly much credit for it. It's just... very very. Beautiful landscapes, really interesting bunches of stuff, lots of lots of things. Really draws me in much more quickly than Oblivion itself. Pretty sure it's because of the giant trees. Gotta' love dem giant trees.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

No love for Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel?
... Good. :P

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile

No love for Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel?
... Good. :P
Fallout: PoS, as I often hear it called.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

... Peach of Succulence?

I'd play that. Post-apoc farming simulator, complete with taking over the local countryside after establishing a successful farm. Initial hook would probably be having a monopoly over a pre-apoc plant strain and control over a small area able to sustain it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile

... Peach of Succulence?

I'd play that. Post-apoc farming simulator, complete with taking over the local countryside after establishing a successful farm. Initial hook would probably be having a monopoly over a pre-apoc plant strain and control over a small area able to sustain it.
Wasn't that basically what happened to Modoc (I think) if you did the right stuff in Fallout 2? In particular I believe the end-credits image showed peaches on the trees.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile

My favorite fallout is fallout new Vegas by a slight margin.
Favorite elderscrolls is oblivion because it was just so huge, it was very immersive for me and it brought a good challenge.
Compared to skyrim (which I also love a lot) which was just too easy compared to oblivion..
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

I remember the first character I played in Oblivion.
  Punch-archer.  Yup.
    Didn't want to play a powerhouse, and was playing a puncher in Morrowind at the time, so I thought the added difficulty in combat would allow me to soak up the atmosphere.  I was right.  I saw a lot, and snuck around, and even one-shotted the King of Worms.

And then I hit lvl 15 or so.  A bobcat ate me.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My first oblivion character was supposed to be a fighter redguard
that failed, he became a sneaky theif later on and dropped most skills he started with

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

The biggest problem with oblivion, skyrim, and Fallout 3 is enemies leveling with you, making power increases pointless. It didn't seem quite so bad in NV
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like it like that though, especialy sonde you can just turn down the difficulty with no bad side effects of doing it besides making the game slightly easier

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

It's goddamn awful.

It removes a sense of progression. Takes four hits to kill an enemy at the beginning, say. This doesn't change through the game. You can get better equipment and level up your fighting skills just in time for the enemy to level up theirs. It leads to the ridiculous situation of bandits with glass and daedric armour, or every radscorpion in the wasteland becoming giant albinos. Why do bandits suddenly obtain armour from hell itself? And how? Not great for immersion. Part of the fun of a game is being able to go back and obliterate the earlier enemies, but them leveling up removes that. And you have to focus on combat skills as you level up or face obliteration when you're suddenly being assaulted by Minotaur Lords instead of timber wolves.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So like Borderlands?
I think I just have less care for how that all works and more on how nicely done the world is, Bethesda does pretty good work on world design
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8