Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: What is everyone's favorite Fallout and Elder Scrolls games (If you play them)  (Read 9341 times)

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
  • Making a big thing this time
    • View Profile

My favorite Fallout is New Vegas, because even though it is pretty much just Fallout 3, it improved on the formula so much. Loads more quests and just loads more fun. My favorite Elder Scrolls game is Skyrim. Mostly for the same reasons, improved on everything.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile

My favorite Fallout is the first one. I haven't played any of the new ones, but it feels like 1 takes a lot less time to get "fun" than 2. In 2 you spend a lot of time poking things with your spear and getting murderlated by really tough encounters, whereas in 1 you start off with a decent weapon and the difficulty ramps up much more gradually.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
  • Making a big thing this time
    • View Profile

I have played the first and second one. And mostly agree, although there is one thing I kinda dislike about 1. And that's because of the time limit. Other than that, really excellent games.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

New Vegas/Morrowind
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Elder Scrolls: Morrowind>Skyrim>Daggerfall>AllthegamesI'veneverplayed>Oblivion

The only hood thing about Oblivion is that it made me get into the TES lore community and discover how awesome that is.

Fallout: I find it very hard to choose between Fallout1 and New Vegas, because I really like them both for different reasons. I think I've spent a lot note hours with New,Vegas (though I've never actually managed to finish it) however, and I guess that should count for something.

So it's basically NewVegas/Fallout1>Fallout2>Fallout3>FalloutTactics

I wish they would have gotten to finish Van Buren, though. It contained some pretty interesting stuff. Some of it got reworked and included in New Vegas, but a lot got left out too.
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I think Oblivion is above both Daggerfall (HALT!) and Skyrim. Skyrim is just so...bland samey. And there's little cause for continuing the cell system for towns. Oh, a dungeon. What's in it? Is it Dragur? And more Dragur? Dragonshouts are fairly uninspired as well. I'm not much a fan of Skyrim's enviorns. The snow is very nice, but otherwise it's just kind of...eh. They could have done a better job making Fantasy Scandinavia, is what I'm getting at.

I never played any DLC outside of Oblivion (not even Morrowind's. I need to go back and fix that sometime, but even after the better part of a decade the pain of losing a 325 hour file persists, albeit only a little).

But all of that is moot to me until we get Elder Scrolls: Blackmarsh. Blackmarsh today, Blackmarsh tomorrow, Blackmarsh forever! Based Hist will defy the akashic cycle, all hail to transargonian glory.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Skyrim more blandsamey than Oblivion? I couldn't disagree more. Basically I just think Skyrim was like Oblivion but improved in every way. As for Daggerfall, yeah, it hadn't aged well. I really like it as a concept rather than directly. Also I just realised I've actually played Arena too, but never made it out if the starting dungeon.
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Oblivion does an okay job at showing the other provinces creep in as you near their borders, certainly better than Skyrim's range of temperate forest to arboreal forest.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When I think back to Oblivion I can inky think of five "distinct" types of nature: Green Broadleaf Forest, Snowy Pine Forest, Yellow Plains, Slightly Greener Plains Meadows, and Forest That Completely Fails At Convincing You (Me) It Is a Swamp. Skyrim has it's own versions of all of those except Yellow Plains, and also adds to that Tundra Plains, Snow Whipped Coast, Cliffy Highlands, and Volcanic Geiser-land. Like Oblivion, But Improved - or rather Like Oblivion, But More to be exact.

As for "showing the other provinces creep in" I think one of Oblivion's main world-building faults was how they completely refrained from giving the different regions any personality of their own (let alone tried to depict the actual lore established cultures of the area) in favour of going "like this other Nearby province, except less" on all of them. Which also turned the different cities into a patchwork where none of the cities have any thematic resemblance to another as it was more important to the designers they remind you if these other provinces that you aren't visiting. That problem also exist in Skyrim, but there I think the cities had a greater overall thematic coherence. Like Oblivion, But Improved.
Love, scriver~

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

I never could get into skyrim for some reason.

New Vegas is boss though. The DLC for NV is superior to that of FO3 in every way. Old World Blues in particular was fantastic.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Plagueman

• Escaped Lunatic
  • intoxicated
    • View Profile

Fallout:NV > TES:Morrowind > TES:Skyrim > Fallout 3

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Fallout 1 plotwise.  The time limit is somewhat annoying but it makes the questing more meaningful, IMO. **  More on this below

Fallout 2 introduced engine and gameplay improvements, but in general I like it *less* than 1 as it introduced too many nonsequitur quests. It's not that it's bad, it's that it's... meh.

The time limit actually made the questing meaningful because otherwise we would run into the all-too-usual "the world is ending take your time" rpg problem. Take Baldur's gate 2, for instance. It had a zillion miniquests which were in themselves very interesting (in fact, I'd say that the miniquests were somewhat more interesting than the main one -specially after executive and fan meddling muddied it's meaning-. But it kind of ruined my... suspension of disbelief, I guess, that, while being theoretically urged to complete the main quest, I could and WAS SUPPOSED TO diddly-dally in regular heroic quests, as if there was nothing more important going on
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fallout 2 simply because it was the first one I played (it was recommended to me by a friend with the intriguing tag-line: "You can sledge-hammer children in the groin", that about sold me) and also because the story was so compelling.

Fallout 1 after that, because the whole "Master" plot-line was superb. (Especially the ending, which I personally found to be hilarious and tragic at same time
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

New Vegas was cool, if only for the nostalgia and references, but it lacked alot of the charm and depth of the older games (except for that vault with the 5 dead guy's in the entrance, that was a masterpiece of storytelling) . Fallout 3 was a degeneration of the genre to Bethesda-esque Hack-n-Slash (it became more about collecting stuff than interesting encounters/interactions) and I didn't like it much.

Morrowind trumps every TES game because of three reasons:

1. The world is totally alien: giant mushroom houses, fetid swamps, ash-covered volcano's, ancient dwemer ruins, etc. etc.
2. The story has true depth: this might just me, but the Sermons of Vivec and Vivec himself and the secrets they contain were the greatest meta-reference I have seen in anything ever.
3. No fast-travel, but seamless world: you travel the world on the backs of giant fleas', teleport with magic, freaking FLY, literally jump from one city to another, etc. etc. All of this is possible because the world has no loading-screens and is totally seamless. Seriously, you can fly.

Skyrim and Oblivion were both meh, mostly because of fast-travel, but also because of scaled leveling. As someone mentioned, Skyrim becomes rather repetitive after awhile, even dragon encounters become rote after the first few.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Morrowind is definitely the best. There's even an Oblivion mod that implements it (and iirc there's a Skyrim one too) that updates all the graphics. Morrowind just has a much larger depth than the other games.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile

2/NV for Fallout and Morrowind/Skyrim for Elder Scrolls.

Fallout 1 was... well, it was a learning experience. It was good overall but it had some mechanical weaknesses and a dearth of meaningful content compared to Fallout 2, which fixed many of the broken mechanics and had generally more interesting content, not to mention much more of it. It also had that jokey tone which a lot of people hate but I thought was great, compared with Fallout's efforts to be super serious in a campy world of comic-book science and 50s fauxstalgia. Ironically, Fallout 2's story and settings actually seem more suited to a serious story. More epic, more dramatic.

I haven't played Fallout 3 but cursory inspection makes me feel similar to my thoughts on Fallout 1. Mostly good, gameplay is still something of a work in progress, tries to be way too serious in tone. Setting it on the east coast also hurts it: Fallout as a series relies on a consistent, connected canon for its identity; otherwise it's a pretty generic wasteland. Fallout 3's setting is too distinct, culturally and geographically, for there to be any substantial connections to the other games, while those that are there (Enclave, BoS, Harold, Super Mutants) stretch suspension of disbelief with their presence.

New Vegas, then, is Fallout 3's Fallout 2: better design and mechanics, slightly goofier, and more substantial. The fact that it's back in the west is also a plus. I concur, too, that its DLC is excellent and proof that it's not inherently evil. I don't like the way each NV DLC feels a bit like a separate game with the same engine, but they're fairly enjoyable in their own right. I have one small criticism of the game's main plot, which is that Caesar's Legion is strawman evil and mechanically disadvantaged to the point where siding with them is for masochists or people deliberately roleplaying jackasses.

The first two Elder Scrolls games aren't really Elder Scrolls games as most people conceive of them. Their settings are barely connected ("Nuh-uh! They have the same maps and mostly the same races and that's all that matters") and they're mostly randomly generated and kind of boring. Let's get those out of the way.

Morrowind is the most interesting Elder Scrolls by far in terms of setting and lore. Every other Elder Scrolls game is at least a little generic, but Morrowind is pretty much antipodean to Tolkienesque fantasy with its giant bugs and reptiles, bizarre mythology, and interesting political situation. In terms of gameplay, the high complexity and possibilities for emergent gameplay are wonderful but the combat is pathetic and even more than Fallout 1 and 3 feels like a huge work in progress compared with the more polished 3D Elder Scrolls games. It's basically Baby's First RPG Combat System with its God-awful anachronistic dice mechanics and overreliance on stats. I realize all RPGs have some degree of stats, but with Morrowind player skill is borderline irrelevant.

Like Fallout 3, I have not played Oblivion. Like Fallout 3, it looks okay. Fortunately my big complaint about it is one that doesn't require actually playing it: it's too fucking generic. It's so fucking generic medieval western RPG tropefest that they actually retconned the older games' lore to make it more fucking generic to pander to people who want really fucking generic games. Second, based on videos of it, its graphics are meh. I think it was too ambitious. Morrowind had shitty graphics but it pulled them off because they realized the limits of the time and stuck with them. Skyrim actually has the technical ability to pull off facial animations et cetera. With Oblivion they tried to do more than they had the technology for and wound up with the uncanny monstrosity that is Oblivion's facial animations. It also had horse armor DLC which is a possible patient zero for the modern pandemic.

Skyrim's setting and lore are much more interesting than Oblivion's even if they don't match Morrowind in their originality. Obviously, its graphics are borderline godlike and its modding potential through the roof compared with the older games simply because it's newer and more advanced. I also think - fight me, hardcore RPG people - that it is the mechanical apex of the series. I have never been a big fan of traditional RPGs because to me (emphasis: to me) character stats are kind of boring and their excessive application in video games is a relic of the pen and paper era.

Skyrim's streamlined stats that get hardcore RPG nerds riled up about the series' "casualization" are an enjoyable middle ground: they play enough of a role that you get a firm sense of progression, but not so much that you have to agonize over where to distribute points; they give you choice as to what skills you want to emphasize, but don't make you overspecialize by arbitrarily splitting up weapon types or schools of magic; they factor into gameplay, but not so much that you have to worry whether you even hit the enemy because your skill is too low.

In the end, I think Fallout 2 and Morrowind are the most interesting in their series, while the newest games - New Vegas and Skyrim - are the most fun to play. I can't really say which of these aspects I value more, so I won't give a definitive favorite.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 06:10:12 pm by SealyStar »
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8