Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1280 1281 [1282] 1283 1284 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544932 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #19215 on: June 10, 2016, 06:28:49 pm »

So... Did... Trump REALLY just officially state that America is for Catholics? (or Christians, I didn't QUITE catch it). I mean not in those exact words but even in the general areas...

That... doesn't raise some serious alarm bells to anyone?

Trump is like the anti-JFK.

JFK won by going after the minorities and disenfranchised to get himself a popularity boost.

Trump will win by attacking the minorities and disenfranchised to get himself a popularity boost.

Why is this getting worse?
Sorry, we're not allowed to use analogies in this thread because they have to be exactly 1-to-1 comparisons, and the America of 2016 is not 100% exactly like the America of the 1960s.  :(

You're not allowed to make any sorts of comparisons between Trump and any other living being, nor between any person or any other person in the world.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19216 on: June 10, 2016, 06:30:34 pm »

Holy shit I would pay so much fucking money to see him go door-to-door
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19217 on: June 10, 2016, 06:34:10 pm »

... the worst thing, I think, is that the perfect response to that would be, "I would pay bail." But it... it's really a rather poor sentiment. Assault charges aren't funny in real life. Still...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 11:17:27 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19218 on: June 10, 2016, 07:00:47 pm »

Well then what are you complaining about?  Seems like you can find what you want.

What part did you take as a complaint? It just is. American mass media doesn't do subtle very well, and so they chase unsubtle stories.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19219 on: June 10, 2016, 07:13:27 pm »

So... Did... Trump REALLY just officially state that America is for Catholics? (or Christians, I didn't QUITE catch it). I mean not in those exact words but even in the general areas...

That... doesn't raise some serious alarm bells to anyone?
Where'd you see that?  Sorry, I didn't find it with a very brief Google, so figured I'd just ask.
Not that it's surprising at all.  I guess I'm just curious as to whether he's being anti-islam, anti-nonChristian, pro-Christian, or what new hell.

Bush Jr got away with "No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."  But that was then.

I've heard people say "That's it I am leaving my country" when certain people get elected... But goodness if I was American right now... I'd be looking to jump ship.
He's not going to win.  But if he does, yeah, I might actually relocate.  It'd only half be for political reasons, though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19220 on: June 10, 2016, 08:31:19 pm »

Well then what are you complaining about?  Seems like you can find what you want.

What part did you take as a complaint? It just is. American mass media doesn't do subtle very well, and so they chase unsubtle stories.

I mean to be fair modern journalism is basically just yellow journalism that isn't called yellow journalism.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19221 on: June 10, 2016, 09:28:30 pm »

Or at least not as often, anyway...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19222 on: June 10, 2016, 09:51:09 pm »

I mean to be fair modern journalism is basically just yellow journalism that isn't called yellow journalism.

I don't think that's really fair. I like hyperbole as much as the next guy but actual journalism, even mainstream journalism, is still pretty far away from Yellow Journalism. The lines between professional and amateur have just been blurred in the last 25ish years or so by the internet, the level of rigor is way lower because communication happens so much more quickly. And people may or may not be more willing to accept opinion as fact than they used to.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 10:14:25 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19223 on: June 10, 2016, 10:42:41 pm »

I honestly don't think it's much of an exaggeration. Even the sources I trust the most are falling into the same bad habits, but more importantly it seems that critical thought and investigative journalism have taken the back seat to make room for totally un-nuanced reporting of hearsay and opinion as fact. It's not just that the negative habits have become more acceptable, or that informal nonprofessional outlets are given a real voice, but also that positive journalistic practices are discouraged because they're profitable and/or ideologically incompatible.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19224 on: June 10, 2016, 11:18:02 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_of_South_American_Nations
UNASUR: GDP $US4 trillion dollars, population 414 million. Members: every fucking country in South America (not counting some small UK colonies).
Explain yourself, where is this clay?
Sorry I was mixing up French Guiana and British Guiana. British Guiana declared independence, but are still subjects of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II of England. So, arguably still under British rule. They are also part of UNASUR. French Guiana are directly a French territory, so they couldn't join UNASUR.

I honestly don't think it's much of an exaggeration. Even the sources I trust the most are falling into the same bad habits, but more importantly it seems that critical thought and investigative journalism have taken the back seat to make room for totally un-nuanced reporting of hearsay and opinion as fact. It's not just that the negative habits have become more acceptable, or that informal nonprofessional outlets are given a real voice, but also that positive journalistic practices are discouraged because they're profitable and/or ideologically incompatible.

I don't think it is either. On topics which the corporate class agrees, and this is both the "liberal" and "conservative" end of the spectrum, they basically blindly follow lock step as if they're all FOX News or Pravda.

e.g. I think the "Obama Derangement" was directly modeled on "Chavez Derangement" which the mass media in Venezuela indulged in. Certainly, almost all the accusations and a lot of the memes/posters which were created about Obama are extremely similar to the anti-Chavez campaign conducted by that country's corporate media. New York Times for example would reprint verbatim some of the craziest anti-Chavez claims without even the barest of fact-checking or context, turning nytimes basically into FOX News when it comes to understanding Latin America.

So, it's in the biased coverage, or lack of coverage, of important events from Latin America ("don't mention UNASUR" and printing blatant BS about Hugo Chavez) that you can peer through the curtain and see the gears clunking along in the so-called "liberal" side of the corporate media. As far as corporate media goes, "lib" and "con" represent two factions of a wealthy elite class with different worldviews. But they share US corporate interests as a shared interest, so that bias pervades all corporate media.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 11:53:28 pm by Reelya »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19225 on: June 10, 2016, 11:51:09 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_of_South_American_Nations
UNASUR: GDP $US4 trillion dollars, population 414 million. Members: every fucking country in South America (not counting some small UK colonies).
Explain yourself, where is this clay?
Sorry I was mixing up French Guiana and British Guiana. British Guiana declared independence, but are still subjects of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II of England. So, arguably still under British rule. They are also part of UNASUR. French Guiana are directly a French territory, so they couldn't join UNASUR.
What about the Falklands?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19226 on: June 10, 2016, 11:59:14 pm »

What about the Falklands?
Well I guess we could count that too, if we count Falklands as part of South America. I'm guessing that the UK wouldn't want it to "count" as part of the continent because it's not actually joined. But plenty of islands in Europe are counted as part of Europe, and Japan, Taiwan and Philippines are all part of "Asia", so there's no much of a consistent reason not to count Falklands as part of South America. It's certainly part of the "Americas", and if you split that into North, Central and South Americas, it's clearly in the South.

EDIT: To give an idea of the under-reporting about UNASUR, which is one of the biggest political developments in the Western Hemishpere in decades, this is the nytimes seach for all articles containing "unasur":

http://query.nytimes.com/search/sitesearch/#/unasur/since1851/allresults/1/allauthors/oldest/
Exactly 16 hits over 10 years. So Unasur gets mentioned, briefly, in one article every 6 months in the New York Times. Note also that the nytimes completely stopped reporting on Unasur the very day that the treaty was ratified, and there's a 4-year gap in which the term "unasur" was basically verboten from nytimes coverage from 2008 to 2012. And up until 2008 they were reporting on Unasur as "like the EU, but for South America", but the post 2012 articles are trying to sound as dismissive as possible, or they include mentions of Unasur purely by accident, or snuck in sneakily by opinion piece writers:

2012 opinion piece on Ecuadors military history. The writer sneaks a mention of what Unasur is into the bottom of the footnotes (footnote 17).
2012 Story about political crisis in Paraguay mentions Unasur as a "political bloc" without any context. Similar article 1 day later, unasur "regional bloc".
2012 Assange story, off-hand reference to unasur as some vague thing that "including most states" on the continent, without mention that's because the only non-member is part of France.
2012 accidentally mentioned Unasur because it was part of Christina Kirchner's election victory tweet, in Spanish.
2012 mention of Venezuela elections, merely mentions Unasur as an "organization" without any context.

After that, there are basically 5 mentions of Unasur from 2013-2016, so basically one brief mention every year or so, and they're even more dismissive of it than before. The only mention in the last two years is a June 2016 one that basically labels UNASUR as lackeys of those Venezuelan commies, without any other context. So they're getting worse at reporting this, if anything.

Meanwhile, "Kardiashian" gets 1086 hits, in the same time period.
http://query.nytimes.com/search/sitesearch/#/kardashian/from20070101to20161212/allresults/2/allauthors/oldest/
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 01:34:15 am by Reelya »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19227 on: June 11, 2016, 01:23:02 am »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_journalism
An English magazine in 1898 noted, "All American journalism is not ‘yellow’, though all strictly ‘up-to-date’ yellow journalism is American!

Pretty canny for 118 years ago. Maybe little has actually changed.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19228 on: June 11, 2016, 02:07:12 am »

In one well remembered story, Examiner reporter Winifred Black was admitted into a San Francisco hospital and discovered that indigent women were treated with "gross cruelty." The entire hospital staff was fired the morning the piece appeared.

If only things moved as quickly now as back then.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19229 on: June 11, 2016, 07:26:27 am »

Indigent women have less privilege now, I blame the feminists!
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 1280 1281 [1282] 1283 1284 ... 1342