Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1279 1280 [1281] 1282 1283 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544938 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #19200 on: June 10, 2016, 11:05:28 am »

One doesn't play chess when there are only white or black pieces on the board.  One doesn't play the great game unopposed either.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #19201 on: June 10, 2016, 11:40:46 am »

Even Al Jazeera hasn't had that on its radar. Time to read up some more.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19202 on: June 10, 2016, 11:56:29 am »

One doesn't play chess when there are only white or black pieces on the board.  One doesn't play the great game unopposed either.

Yeah, but the great game is *shitty* that's what got us the 30 Years War through to the first Gulf War (assuming that you're calling the Iran-Iraq War the Iran-Iraq War and not the Gulf War like a lot of people called it before the Gulf War).

If everyone on the chessboard is the same color, then you get peace. Plus, all the pawns can advance down the board and being promoted to whatever they desire, other than King's and Pawns. The world is peaceful utopia until every position on the board has been two times, then the peaceful utopia becomes a peaceful draw.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19203 on: June 10, 2016, 12:09:15 pm »

Yeah, but the great game is *shitty*

I'm saying the US isn't playing the great game at all.  There needs to be a struggle for that to happen and there is not struggle in Latin America.  The US is even getting along with Venezuela and Cuba these days.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19204 on: June 10, 2016, 12:26:38 pm »

-snip-

I didn't know about that at all. I think you don't really hear much about it anywhere in the first or second worlds. South America according to world media is very much like a mountain of deformed virus babies covered in ornery death squads.

Then again, doesn't every continent have at least one of those at this point? Comparing numbers, ASEAN has 7 trillion dollars of GDP and 625 million people, while the African Union has 1 billion people and 3.7 trillion dollars to its name, and both of those have been around since the sixties. I guess we haven't really heard about South America's efforts because this kind of idea is old hat by now in the "wait, they didn't have one?" sense.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19205 on: June 10, 2016, 12:49:14 pm »

I'd say it's more the general tendency for everyone to ignore South America, a la "holy shit! Brazil was kinda important in WWII"
Even the avatars expire eventually.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19206 on: June 10, 2016, 04:45:47 pm »

PTW

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19207 on: June 10, 2016, 05:13:03 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_of_South_American_Nations
UNASUR: GDP $US4 trillion dollars, population 414 million. Members: every fucking country in South America (not counting some small UK colonies).
Explain yourself, where is this clay?

What the South is "hiding" is Unasur and Celac. There's a growing regional power bloc down there. You don't hear about it because it doesn't suit the US's regional aims for you guys to be informed about politics in the South.
To be honest, it's because USA news quality is fucking shite, and even when they try to frame a narrative one way they don't even get their slants right
Not like it matters since no one watches their shitey news
The real reason no one's heard of CELAC is because CELAC doesn't do anything, there's fuck all it does and until it further integrates there's little point in it. Bilateral relations with South American countries is far more common, as far as I can tell the only thing I've ever known CELAC to do is do some business summits in Yurop with the Yurop Commission every now and then - which is hardly a public spectacle.

South America has a unified parliament now, a unilateral military alliance amongst all 12 countries of the continent, and is talking about moving to a single currency. This development was largely spurred by widespread distrust of the Bush administration.
South America does not have a unified parliament, they made sure that their defence policy in this phase of integration was exclusively not unilateral and instead focused on multilateral cooperation, talks of single currency are a long way away from implementation - but everyone will be buzzing over it when it happens :]

Basically the US was previously backing two rival trade groups in South America, keeping them at each others throats. After a while they got together and went "you know what? fuck those asshats!" and now they've basically formed a federated union of all of South America, modeled on the EU and NATO.
Mercosur and PA would not have gotten together better without the USA trading with either of them, or only one of them Lel
It's not like NATO and it's also not going to be creating all the useless bureaucrats that the EU's made, using the already useless bureaucrats of the previous trade blocs to be eco-friendly and only use renewable bureaucrats

An entire continent forming a federal parliament is pretty big news. Ask yourself why hardly anyone in America has heard about this.
Because most Americans don't give a shit about foreign countries

If that doesn't make you go wtf, check this one out, the expanded membership:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_of_Latin_American_and_Caribbean_States
CELAC: GDP $US9 trillion, population 591 million.
With CELAC, you're looking at a regional economic bloc with almost twice the population of the USA, and a total GDP rivaling China, right on America's doorstep. Combine that with moves to political federalism in South America, and you can see there's a lot of economic power down there, and they're starting to get politically organized.
Starting to does not equate to anything

There is a gorblangous volume of potential that could arise from this, but that potential is yet to be realized, or at the very least in the realm of the current year and public consciousness. It's already entering financial consciousness, so once they've grubbed the monetary opportunity and election campaigns are over, everyone else will get the opportunity to moisten themselves with glory glory bbrrrrrazil continent

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19208 on: June 10, 2016, 05:44:18 pm »

Because most Americans don't give a shit about foreign countries

Our media is used to reporting on South America as having a problem of some kind. Cartels, FARC, deforesting the Amazon, assassinations, corruption, Hugo Chavez, favelas, everything Argentina....They're not used to reporting on South America as a developing political entity. I don't think most Americans perceive of SA as a whole, not like Europe. US media covered the EU plenty when it formed. To a lot of Americans though, South America is still more than third world and less than 1st world.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 05:47:08 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19209 on: June 10, 2016, 05:54:17 pm »

Maybe you guys just need to read better news sources.  :P
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19210 on: June 10, 2016, 05:54:53 pm »

glory glory bbrrrrrazil continent
The de jure borders of Brasil are those of the American continent. Uruguai gib Cisplatina clay back
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19211 on: June 10, 2016, 05:57:09 pm »

Eh I check the major news sites to see who got shot today, or what blew up today. When I want to know something specific I drill deeper.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19212 on: June 10, 2016, 06:08:26 pm »

Well then what are you complaining about?  Seems like you can find what you want.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19213 on: June 10, 2016, 06:21:39 pm »

So... Did... Trump REALLY just officially state that America is for Catholics? (or Christians, I didn't QUITE catch it). I mean not in those exact words but even in the general areas...

That... doesn't raise some serious alarm bells to anyone?

Trump is like the anti-JFK.

JFK won by going after the minorities and disenfranchised to get himself a popularity boost.

Trump will win by attacking the minorities and disenfranchised to get himself a popularity boost.

Why is this getting worse?

---

I've heard people say "That's it I am leaving my country" when certain people get elected... But goodness if I was American right now... I'd be looking to jump ship.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 06:28:19 pm by Neonivek »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19214 on: June 10, 2016, 06:27:49 pm »

So... Did... Trump REALLY just officially state that America is for Catholics? (or Christians, I didn't QUITE catch it). I mean not in those exact words but even in the general areas...

That... doesn't raise some serious alarm bells to anyone?

Trump is like the anti-JFK.

JFK won by going after the minorities and disenfranchised to get himself a popularity boost.

Trump will win by attacking the minorities and disenfranchised to get himself a popularity boost.

Why is this getting worse?
No alarm bells here, tomorrow mister Trump will be declaring the peace and love of Islam, next week he'll be Buddhist, and then he'll discover the Jehovah's Witnesses and no household in the west will be safe.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 1279 1280 [1281] 1282 1283 ... 1342