Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1168 1169 [1170] 1171 1172 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546926 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #17535 on: May 08, 2016, 02:01:34 am »

... also, considering the US is something like half again as murderous by that statistic as the next one down, and in the top 10 by that list, um. It kinda' does look like a deviant trigger-happy outlier? Just not the most deviant trigger-happy outlier.
An outlier is one that doesnt' match other trends. The US is not an outlier in gun deaths per gun. Taiwan is, and this is because it has special circumstances. The US is a high gun death nation within the usual patterns.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17536 on: May 08, 2016, 07:49:10 am »

Hey, it's actually an interesting stat. It tells us that the reason US has so much people dying from bullet to the face isn't that Americans are crazy about murder, but that they have a ton of guns.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17537 on: May 08, 2016, 08:26:53 am »

I think corruption is just gotten away with in the open now.  Look at the Forex scandal.  Yeah, it's not human experimentation or high ranking treason.  I'll admit today's powerful mostly avoid overtly abhorrent behaviors now that they can't keep them secret.  But we still routinely see them benefit from hurting huge numbers of people, and just laugh it off when they're exposed.  The people that expose them normally get the worst treatment for it.

Yeah, we can call it improvement, but I wouldn't call it worthy of patting ourselves on the back.
Yeah, you can't really call it corruption when it's all structurally compliant with law

So for example US politicians won't steal from Public Institutions as in corrupt SEA nations, but will instead take donations from private companies in exchange for preferable government grants and regulation that in turn profit the lobbying company, so all compliant and legal

A look at how our shekel wizards in the UK did everything:
Last November, the UK's financial watchdog, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) gave some examples of how traders at banks calling themselves names such as "the players", "the 3 musketeers", "1 team, 1 dream" and "the A-team" attempted to manipulate foreign exchange markets.
In one example, it said traders at HSBC had colluded with traders from at least three other firms to attempt to drive the fix for the sterling-dollar rate lower.
It said traders had shared confidential information about client orders prior to the fix, and then used this information to attempt to manipulate the fix downwards.
The sterling/dollar exchange rate fix fell from £1.6044 to £1.6009 in this particular example, making HSBC a $162,000 profit.
Afterwards, traders congratulated themselves, saying: "Loved that mate... worked lovely... pity we couldn't get it below the 00", "there you go.. go early, move it, hold it, push it", "nice works gents..I don my hat" and "Hooray nice teamwork".

Hooray nice teamwork
I like this example the most because in a rare moment of justice the law courts of Switzerland, the UK and the USA cracked down on this and started whipping out fines, actually arresting bankers. It's still a balancing game though, like when HSBC threatened to move to Hong Kong after the British treasury considered placing a new tax on them in response to their role in fucking the global economy up. Literally the only reason they didn't in the end was that Hong Kong would have taxed them more lol

Then there's that whole thing where American politics can be summed as Koch Brothers and Co. vs Soros and Co., Soros once broke my country with currency manipulation xD
What can you do about it in the end? Not much unless you go full Putin, and you never go full Putin

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17538 on: May 08, 2016, 08:31:40 am »

An outlier is one that doesnt' match other trends. The US is not an outlier in gun deaths per gun. Taiwan is, and this is because it has special circumstances. The US is a high gun death nation within the usual patterns.
Yeessss, I'm aware of what an outlier is :P

The US definitely is still an outlier on that particular set of statistics -- the major trend is set by the ones between denmark and germany, where you see a 1-3 death (i.e. ~10-20%) variance between nearest nations that holds pretty steady. Your outliers are, well, everything else. The US (~50% spike one way, 11 death jump) and up (and france and norway, the non-murderous freaks) is basically cuckoolander land, where the trend has left the building and no one's quite sure what's going on.

And nah, sheb, they're still pretty crazy about gun murder, comparatively. ~150% more likely than the one below it, double or better the majority of the countries listed, we don't want to talk about the difference between it and the bottommost pair. It's just that there's some that's even crazier, at least insofar as that particular statistic goes.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 08:33:15 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17539 on: May 08, 2016, 09:58:17 am »

Bad people exist, therefore more bad stuff happens then in the past.

There, I gave you a tl;dr version.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17540 on: May 08, 2016, 10:04:01 am »

I stopped reading at "shekel wizards."
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17541 on: May 08, 2016, 10:05:54 am »

A few years ago I would be tempted to post an offensive reaction image, but /pol/ is so gross now that I don't even like to joke anymore
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17542 on: May 08, 2016, 10:07:52 am »

In other news, this is pretty sweet.

--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17543 on: May 08, 2016, 10:09:09 am »

"Gun homicides per million firearms"

Yeah, that's a weird way to measure that. It seems to be presuming that guns just up and decide to shoot people all by themselves, which kind of contradicts the "guns don't kill people" crowd.

Very weird way to measure that. The thing is, gun-related deaths in Taiwan happen at a per-capita rate of about 1/6th the USA. But the "per firearm" figure in Taiwan is about 6 times higher, because firearm ownership rates in Taiwan are about 1/36th what they are in the USA. Taiwan is in fact a very safe country where very few people own guns, rather than the bullet-riddled hell-hole that the other statistic tries to imply.

So, what it looks like is that as gun control kicks in, generally, the number of firearm-related deaths per capita drops, whereas the number of firearm-related deaths per firearm increases. But measuring the deaths-per-firearm is ridiculous, because that's not a metric that makes any sense. Merely stockpiling or selling more guns would generally improve the "deaths per firearm" statistic, even as murders actually rose.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 10:16:02 am by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17544 on: May 08, 2016, 11:00:50 am »

Nah, that is shit version that misses the point

Let me distill it for you
Shit happens legally
Not sure if it's any more than usual, at least relative to the fact that there are more people alive to do villainous things :P

Basically you team Koch Bros or team Soros

Would you have preferred it if I called them the A-team or the 3 Musketeers :)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17545 on: May 08, 2016, 01:20:47 pm »

Newsflash: Shit also used to happen legally.  The stock market used to be like an army navy game.  Frat boys throw a ball around for an hour and at the end of the day navy won you lost your money.

If all you want to say is that shit happens, like yeah, I agree with you, everyone agrees with you.  But you made that comment in the midst of a long conversation about whether there is more shit or less.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17546 on: May 08, 2016, 02:01:24 pm »

Newsflash: Shit also used to happen legally.  The stock market used to be like an army navy game.  Frat boys throw a ball around for an hour and at the end of the day navy won you lost your money.
No and murder has only ever happened today m8, have a cookie for such silliness

If all you want to say is that shit happens, like yeah, I agree with you, everyone agrees with you.  But you made that comment in the midst of a long conversation about whether there is more shit or less.
That's not all I'm saying and I dunno how you are so adept at reading past everything, projecting what others post onto what I say

pls

Simple points shouldn't need this many posts of sarcasm in reply

Shit happens legally

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 02:58:41 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17549 on: May 08, 2016, 04:25:57 pm »

Yeah, you totally didn't mean to imply that these things were worse.  You were just making an observation in the middle of a conversation about whether things were better or worse.
On the dot correct, I said exactly what I meant in the middle of someone else's conversation replying to RedKing, you've taken me to replying to everyone ITT about whether things are better or worse projecting yourself into my posts

pls
Pages: 1 ... 1168 1169 [1170] 1171 1172 ... 1342