Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1088 1089 [1090] 1091 1092 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545730 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #16335 on: April 11, 2016, 03:10:19 pm »

Mainiac, do you know you're sexy when you dig up sources to argue a point?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #16336 on: April 11, 2016, 03:38:03 pm »

If we do have a civil war, I think California will win so long as we bring L.A. with us. Which admittedly makes the whole project kind of counter-productive, but still, at least we're free from the South.

It would be nice to get Oregon and Washington to join us, but I think the Oregonians are pretty close to building their own border wall as it is.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16337 on: April 11, 2016, 03:46:08 pm »

It would be nice to get Oregon and Washington to join us, but I think the Oregonians are pretty close to building their own border wall as it is.

We're just kind of miffed about ultra-conservatives wanting to turn the clock back a century or two on societal values, is all. I mean, aside from the large "I drive a pickup truck and wear a cowboy hat, but was too lazy to join Yall Qaeda" demographic, but city Oregonians don't like to talk about those guys.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16338 on: April 11, 2016, 03:47:15 pm »

Y'all don't get to leave. The possibility of escape from florida is the only reason many of us here haven't burnt it and everything else to the ground. Take away the escape route, and you've got millions on death ground with nothing but oodles of PCP, launchable alligators, and nothing left to lose. You don't get to leave the union until we get to leave the state, and unfortunately people keep breeding so we never all get to leave.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16339 on: April 11, 2016, 03:51:45 pm »

If current trends continue the vast majority of Florida will be reclaimed by the sea within our lifetimes anyway, so I guess you've got that to look forward too, heh.

Nevermind, misplaced a decimal place. RIP New Orleans, but Florida is fine.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 03:56:21 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16340 on: April 11, 2016, 03:55:00 pm »

Considering that the US is over a third the size of all of Europe congregated into a single country, the fact that the country hasn't permanently crumbled over regional differences says a lot about the combination of government structure and ideals of the country.

It took an extremely controversial subject, Slavery, to divide the country. And no, abortion and marriage and gay rights and other current hot-button issues) don't come within LIGHT YEARS of being that divisive. Even then, it was a slow proccess which ended up at a breaking point.

Fortunately, we were able to pull ourselves together after that.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16341 on: April 11, 2016, 04:12:53 pm »

Because it wasn't exactly slavery.  It was a question of sovereignty...  Did states have a right to secede, if the alliance was no longer beneficial?  The Union, dominated by the Northern industrial states, was demanding that the South abandon slavery yet continue to produce just as much raw material, and not ship it overseas for a better price (prevented by excessive tariffs, I think).  The North wanted the South to be its vassal farmland, but took hypocritical offense at outright slavery.

I think one of the most amazing things about America is that we recovered from such a rift.  It's as if the bloody war helped the North realize that they went too far.  In most cases throughout history such a war would cause an ever-deeper blood feud.  But Americans were, well, better than that.  I'm proud.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16342 on: April 11, 2016, 04:30:41 pm »

It was pretty much slavery. That's like... right in the various declaration of independence.

Another thing to note though, is that politics has, by and large, become much less violent nowadays.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #16343 on: April 11, 2016, 04:50:14 pm »

Well, it was a lot of things tied into slavery and sovereignty and all that. At the root, though, it was about money and a bunch of very rich people with a single thing making them rich who didn't want it to go away. That, more than anything, is what caused it to erupt into actual civil war.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #16344 on: April 11, 2016, 05:02:05 pm »

IT WAS MOSTLY SLAVERY GUYS. Srsly. "Lost Cause" revisionism is responsible for the common misconception of it being about states' rights and sovereignity and whatnot. Sure, they wanted to secede. BUT IF THEY DIDN'T WANT TO SECEDE IT WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN A PROBLEM, HUH?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #16345 on: April 11, 2016, 05:06:35 pm »

Sure, but it was mostly about money. Because if slavery wasn't making them all their money they wouldn't have been so against abolishing it to go to war over it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16346 on: April 11, 2016, 05:09:36 pm »

IT WAS MOSTLY SLAVERY GUYS. Srsly. "Lost Cause" revisionism is responsible for the common misconception of it being about states' rights and sovereignity and whatnot. Sure, they wanted to secede. BUT IF THEY DIDN'T WANT TO SECEDE IT WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN A PROBLEM, HUH?

Not how I'd put it, but lost causers are historical revisionists of the worst kind.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16347 on: April 11, 2016, 05:27:16 pm »

Sure, but it was mostly about money. Because if slavery wasn't making them all their money they wouldn't have been so against abolishing it to go to war over it.

That's a gross simplification. Lots of ferocious proponents of slavery didn't own slaves.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #16348 on: April 11, 2016, 05:34:23 pm »

That's a gross simplification. Lots of ferocious proponents of slavery didn't own slaves.

Eh. Just because you don't currently own slaves doesn't mean you won't when you've finally got the bank off your back, which is always next summer. It's the same reason people with $2 in their savings account vote against estate taxes that only kick in at $10,000,000.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #16349 on: April 11, 2016, 05:38:50 pm »

In the same way, isn't "It was pretty much about slavery" a gross oversimplification? Lots of southerners weren't ferocious proponents of slavery.

I think people generally do a disservice to the war when they try to boil it down to one cause. I think everyone who's mentioned a cause so far has had good arguments for why it contributed. I'd say they might have all contributed.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 05:40:34 pm by penguinofhonor »
Pages: 1 ... 1088 1089 [1090] 1091 1092 ... 1342