Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1086 1087 [1088] 1089 1090 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545670 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #16305 on: April 11, 2016, 09:36:30 am »

The EU isn't like the US at all, it is separate countries with sovereign governments and the Eurozone isn't one combined economy, just multiple with a lot of tying factors bringing them to cooperate, which is really important to note. Besides, I can hear the constant bickering about the NHS, for example, from here. That said, if an administrative redesign could somehow raise benefits while massively destroying cost, I'd be all for it -- I'm just skeptical it could.

As for defense spending -- first you go out of your way to make a point about percentages of budgets and now you make a point about absolute spending? I see that stat over and over and over again, but it's important to remember that A. our GDP is... really really big, and a lot of industry goes into the military so that's more applicable than it would be with things like Social Security. It may be bigger than the next ten combined in terms of absolute money, but it sure isn't in terms of percentage. Not at all. And then there's another thing. One of the reasons we are so much bigger is because most of the top ten there is far lower than it would be if we didn't have their backs. That stat is only true because we support NATO, Japan, and South Korea.

But this is irrelevant to my earlier point. My earlier point is that cutting defense as the spending mainstay is very silly because it really isn't the big spending giant of the budget -- it doesn't even come close, and the size of other nations' militaries doesn't really affect this. Cutting defense spending wouldn't be all that effective, because it isn't that big of a percent of a budget compared to, again, entitlements, which are ever-increasing due to demographic trends.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16306 on: April 11, 2016, 09:39:39 am »

Because it isn't comparable at all to entitlement spending, which constantly increases in percentage.

And has a dedicated revenue stream. 

The US government is basically two different things.  You have a government that does military and the DMV and FCC and stuff.  And you have an insurance and retirement company that uses payroll taxes to pay for stuff.  And it's a really efficient insurance and retirement company.  It's not the very most efficient like Vanguard but it's more efficient then most of the private ones, especially in healthcare.  For decades the insurance company has been loaning money to the government at sub market rates.  This money was used to pay for general government stuff.  And most general government stuff is the military like the Iraq war for instance.

Now the retirement and insurance company isn't running a huge surplus anymore.  It was running that surplus because it was stashing that money away for future payouts when the demographics shifted.  People paid into the system and they expect a payout.

But some people are saying that the retirement and insurance company needs to run a surplus in every year.  Well if that was the case, why the everliving fuck did people spend three decades paying extra retirement and insurance money to finance a future need?  It's stealing money that working class people paid into a financially sound system.  That money is then used to pay for general government in place of general tax revenues.  And most of general government is the military.  Then to cover the shortfall because you just stole from the retirement and insurance company, you cut benefits for the next generation but still expect them to pay the same amount.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 09:42:36 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #16307 on: April 11, 2016, 09:47:30 am »

To me the question is less; "How much are we paying?", but more "Who is getting paid here?"

It makes me curious.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16308 on: April 11, 2016, 09:52:11 am »

According to the SSA itself, at the present rate, Social Security cannot sustain itself as it is now and will take a huge hit before the next generation rolls in. It's not that it's scooting along super happily and now people want to take it away because they want a surplus constantly; it's because social security is falling apart and at the current rate it's going to take HARSHER benefit cuts that would be necessary if we just cut a bit right now.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16309 on: April 11, 2016, 09:55:24 am »

I don't remember jesus saying Ceasar was the one to be giving generious.

Nah I was just saying after taxes Jesus would still be saying give your money. Please don't assume that I think the bible should be US law.

I just want to point out that you lied about your earlier statement and then said that I was strawmanning you.  Your statement was about government spending and you said I shouldn't accuse you of talking about anything other then personal actions.  So I engaged with your statement and then you lied about what you said.

According to the SSA itself, at the present rate, Social Security cannot sustain itself as it is now and will take a huge hit before the next generation rolls in. It's not that it's scooting along super happily and now people want to take it away because they want a surplus constantly; it's because social security is falling apart and at the current rate it's going to take HARSHER benefit cuts that would be necessary if we just cut a bit right now.

Which is a completely different thing then saying that entitlement spending is the cause of our problems.  I would be willing to address this statement but I refuse to jump from topic to topic like this where addressing a point doesn't matter because the topic is change.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16310 on: April 11, 2016, 09:57:13 am »

Here, give me a second to try to unify my thoughts, I'm beginning to dizzy myself with all the back and forth too.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16311 on: April 11, 2016, 10:01:57 am »

I'm going to bow out here. I should be doing anything other than arguing on the internet and I realize that if I get into this much I'll be here for the next four hours. :P (Which is mostly why I've said barely anything so far!)

Have fun, I guess?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16312 on: April 11, 2016, 10:04:31 am »

Be like me and work from home so you are stuck here for the next four hours anyway.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16313 on: April 11, 2016, 10:07:09 am »

I'm at school :V
break periods ahooooy

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16314 on: April 11, 2016, 10:07:59 am »

One day you can graduate to sitting in a completely different chair in front of a completely different desk.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16315 on: April 11, 2016, 10:09:46 am »

Ideally, anyway. Gods help you if you end up working for one of those businesses that has their employees work from a treadmill.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16316 on: April 11, 2016, 10:10:04 am »

Well, my present plan of action is to go into a political field of some variety, so, hey, this is almost practice.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16317 on: April 11, 2016, 10:11:20 am »

And now we shall call you Graft Miner, in consideration for your intended field of work :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16318 on: April 11, 2016, 10:11:48 am »

Ideally, anyway. Gods help you if you end up working for one of those businesses that has their employees work from a treadmill.

I believe that is the mythical unsubsidized energy source that Sprin was talking about before.

And now we shall call you Graft Miner, in consideration for your intended field of work :P

Let the shitposting commence.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16319 on: April 11, 2016, 10:12:07 am »

apparently there's some monkey business going on in Colorado for the GOP.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)
Pages: 1 ... 1086 1087 [1088] 1089 1090 ... 1342