Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 923 924 [925] 926 927 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1549468 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #13860 on: March 08, 2016, 03:45:27 pm »

True dat. Who could possibly be more anti-immigrant than a fresh immigrant? [/nosarcasm]
A refugee.
Damn straight

People acting like Hitler is the be-all and end-all of evil need to learn some history, he really wasn't that exceptional.
Yeah but Genghis Khan or Stalin don't have the same feel to them, as they only killed people Hollywood doesn't care about

Yes, the Nazi behavior escalated into mass murder, but that's not really the claim that's being made.
If you compare someone with Josef Stalin you're not exactly doing so out of appreciation for the Siberian cheese industry's collapse
If you're comparing administrators of Siberian cheese industry, then you very well could be. Just because something is usually discussed one way doesn't mean it can only be discussed that way.
If you're comparing administrators of Siberian cheese industry to Stalin you are saying they killed the cheese industry the same way Stalin killed the cheesemakers. Likewise we are not talking about Siberian cheesemakers. We are talking politics, and we are talking immigration, and we are talking Hitler; the comparison only means one thing - Hitler, the atrocities, not Stalin, the Soviet cheese.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13861 on: March 08, 2016, 03:50:07 pm »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13862 on: March 08, 2016, 03:52:39 pm »

Ironically to the whole comparing Trump to Hitler: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/03/trump-hitler-comparisons-213711
It’s difficult to say when the Hitler analogies got out of control.
Geez, sounds like such a Hitler nazi trying to control all the Hitler comparisons

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13863 on: March 08, 2016, 03:53:09 pm »

people acting like Hitler is the be-all and end-all of evil need to learn some history, he really wasn't that exceptional.

Oh, IDK, I dont think anyone has premeditated genocide on such a grand scale so far in advance.  Keep in mind that Hitler didn't do more then a small fraction of the murdering that he had planned.

On the other hand, Hitler was pretty clear from the get go about his intention to go a conquerin' and murderin' until there was a giant slav free europe for the germans to frolick in.  So when people compare Trump to Hitler it is worth pointing out that Trump hasn't written a Mein Kampf.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13864 on: March 08, 2016, 03:55:01 pm »

This indirect version of the Hitler smear goes back to the 1950s, when émigré Marxist intellectuals of the so-called Frankfurt School, many of them refugees from Hitler, wondered why the masses of their adopted country had not yet risen up to overthrow capitalism. Their answer was that many if not most of the blue collar workers in the country that had saved them were sinister brownshirts in the making, afflicted with “authoritarian personalities.”
NAMED THE FRANKFURTER

SWEDEN
WW
E   E
D    D
E      E
N        N

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13865 on: March 08, 2016, 03:58:40 pm »

Like the most recent one with the voter pledges, I don't see it as hitler-esque, it's not even a nazi salute, it's just raising your hand. Plus I'm sure theres been a few rallies in other campaigns which did something similar to generate excitement or something. It's odd, yes, but it seems like people are making a bigger deal out of it than it is.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13866 on: March 08, 2016, 04:02:41 pm »

Like the most recent one with the voter pledges, I don't see it as hitler-esque, it's not even a nazi salute, it's just raising your hand. Plus I'm sure theres been a few rallies in other campaigns which did something similar to generate excitement or something. It's odd, yes, but it seems like people are making a bigger deal out of it than it is.

We saw the same thing at Obama rallies.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's just a simple, effective way to get the crowd pumped up and involved. Building energy at these things is good.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13867 on: March 08, 2016, 04:03:12 pm »

AAHHHH OBAMA NAZIS

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13868 on: March 08, 2016, 04:05:01 pm »

Pledges are pretty creepy when you think about it.  We make schoolchildren do them.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13869 on: March 08, 2016, 04:06:34 pm »

AAHHHH OBAMA NAZIS

*bulldozes the shitposting Briton out of the thread* lol

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13870 on: March 08, 2016, 04:11:53 pm »

Again, people should stop comparing Trump to a nazi because it understates how horrible the nazi's really were.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13871 on: March 08, 2016, 04:14:29 pm »

Pledges are pretty creepy when you think about it.  We make schoolchildren do them.
In Frankfurt schools children are free from such petty things as duty, where they can work towards building glorious dildocracy free from proletariat shitlord cis scum

AAHHHH OBAMA NAZIS
*bulldozes the shitposting Briton out of the thread* lol
Remove double standards from the premises
Bernie Bros are invading my country
YOU HAVE TO GO BACK FEEL THE SUNBERN IN CALIFORNIA THEY HAVE NICE WEATHER THERE

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13872 on: March 08, 2016, 04:22:57 pm »

OBAMA NAZIS

Everything is Hitler, even your precious bodily fluids.
called it
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13874 on: March 08, 2016, 04:34:28 pm »

Again, people should stop comparing Trump to a nazi because it understates how horrible the nazi's really were.

I don't really agree with this sentiment, because it serves no practical purpose: "understating how horrible the nazi's really were" is not something that's going to cause any actual problems. It's on par with worrying whether we should ban video games where you play Ghenghis Khan because they trivialize his brutality.

Everyone gets that the Nazis were bad, and saying the were a little more or less bad is entirely academic at this point. Maintaining Nazi "evil cred" isn't in itself a useful concept, except to make our own side look good in comparisons. That can be harmful, e.g. I've seen the USA's evil Tuskagee experiments on black men dismissed as a non-story because they "weren't as evil as the Nazis". That's harmful when evil medical experiments in the USA are justified by merely being less evil than Hitler. Hitlers ultimate evil cred is therefore used as a whitewash on our own evil.

The point is, and this is actually cautionary thus has value, is to remind people that Hitler was elected, and the type of rhetoric that Hitler espoused before he got elected. "Well surely Trump won't be that bad" is exactly what people thought about Hitler. Nobody ever believes the guy they voted for is going to be the biggest asshole ever, but Drumpf is indirectly talking about building the yuuuuuuge police state infrastructure that would be needed to deport 11 million people and handle their 4 million children. That's almost 1 in 20 of the entire population that would come under government control, and they'd be in camps for many years while the paperwork is sorted out, let's not kid ourselves about that. Such an establishment can't help but turn into a monster.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 04:47:38 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 923 924 [925] 926 927 ... 1342