Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 918 919 [920] 921 922 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1549844 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #13785 on: March 07, 2016, 08:34:58 pm »

Can you just cut it out already?

In regards to the specific behavior of saying that Trump is exploiting racist narratives in order to appeal to racists, no, I'm going to stick by that.  And I'm going to stick by saying it's dishonest to say that he isn't doing that.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13786 on: March 07, 2016, 08:36:06 pm »

Hard to say because everyone seems to see WHATEVER THE FUCK THEY WANT TO SEE.

Welcome to the next level.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13787 on: March 07, 2016, 08:37:05 pm »

Because I believe in honesty.  Why are you okay with dishonesty?
Where have I been dishonest?

I demanded honesty.  You objected to my demand.  This isn't you being dishonest but it is you standing up for dishonesty.  To be fair people should have the right to be dishonest but I should have the right to call them out on it.
No. I objected to what I see as a desire to shut down criticism. Which is dishonest. You aren't doing it for the sake of dishonesty, but you appear to be doing it nonetheless.

Oh yeah, Cruxador, the 'don't be a dick to other forumites' goes for you too.

Like, seriously. Everyone who's insinuating shit about other posters needs to fucking stop. Now, preferably. That means you too, Shadowlord.

You're insinuating that I'm insinuating, when I was attempting to persuade, actually.
I was stating that you were insinuating, actually. The 'not sure if...actually believes it'? Like, as in, you find it about as likely a scenario for him to actually believe that, as compared to him just not having seen it? That's attempting to persuade? If so, it's not a method intellectual rigor approves of.

Hard to say because everyone seems to see WHATEVER THE FUCK THEY WANT TO SEE.
Bullshit. You bring me the posts where they were attacking Clinton supporters and I will support you 100% in telling them to fuck off and stop. Otherwise, you need to get a lid on your shit, mainiac.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13788 on: March 07, 2016, 08:38:03 pm »

I mean, we have someone repping Moon Man up in here, racism is clearly well within the range of "tolerable". Saying "but that's racist" is, by itself, about as convincing an argument as emulating John Oliver by reminding everyone of the current year.

Way to assume that I use this avatar because of some racist meme I only found out about after the fact, and don't give a shit about even now.

Congratulations. You're part of the problem too.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 08:39:34 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13789 on: March 07, 2016, 08:39:33 pm »

Folks, maybe we should just leave this thread be for a couple hours - mostly we're just running around in circles, and it doesn't look like the current quote-unquote discussion will give rise to anything interesting or productive.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13790 on: March 07, 2016, 08:42:20 pm »

*drunkenly blunders through thread*
Even the avatars expire eventually.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13791 on: March 07, 2016, 08:43:53 pm »

Folks, maybe we should just leave this thread be for a couple hours - mostly we're just running around in circles, and it doesn't look like the current quote-unquote discussion will give rise to anything interesting or productive.
^^Concur. This looks dangerously close to the run-up for a Toad-locking.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Bill Clinton was still pretty swag though.
« Reply #13792 on: March 07, 2016, 09:02:06 pm »

Come to think of it, there's a nice parallel to societal power differences

Backtracking briefly, I thought this was a rather enlightened segue so Helgoland gets the first ever MainiacCookie TM in recognition of holistic thinking.  At any point in the future he may quote this post and I will shut up in ongoing debate of any of the following topics:

1) Monetary policy
2) Migrant policy
3) German trade policy
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13793 on: March 07, 2016, 09:04:13 pm »

Just once, or any time? And anyway, I wouldn't want to shut you up - I enjoy reading your posts as long as they're issue-oriented ;)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13794 on: March 07, 2016, 09:12:33 pm »

I'm sorta fascinated now with this question of "Did 1930s Germany know what they were getting into with Hitler?", and I have this absurdist image of Hindenburg arguing, "But he's literally Hitler!!", and puzzled Germans going "Umm, yeah?"

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13795 on: March 07, 2016, 09:13:01 pm »

Just once, or any time? And anyway, I wouldn't want to shut you up - I enjoy reading your posts as long as they're issue-oriented ;)

Sorry, you can't have your cookie and eat it too.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13796 on: March 07, 2016, 09:18:21 pm »

I'm sorta fascinated now with this question of "Did 1930s Germany know what they were getting into with Hitler?", and I have this absurdist image of Hindenburg arguing, "But he's literally Hitler!!", and puzzled Germans going "Umm, yeah?"

I have heard that it was very fashionable in the latter days of the Weimar republic for intellectuals to say they were already living in a fascist state.  There's a parallel you can draw to modern America.  Remember, the worst day of your life is still ahead.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 09:19:52 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13797 on: March 07, 2016, 09:41:37 pm »

The 'not sure if...actually believes it'? Like, as in, you find it about as likely a scenario for him to actually believe that, as compared to him just not having seen it? That's attempting to persuade? If so, it's not a method intellectual rigor approves of.

... It was his I'm-joining-the-race speech, and it was replayed on the news over and over and over again and plastered across news online and social media for days afterwards as everyone reacted to it. It was harder to avoid than star wars spoilers.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13798 on: March 07, 2016, 09:59:17 pm »

The 'not sure if...actually believes it'? Like, as in, you find it about as likely a scenario for him to actually believe that, as compared to him just not having seen it? That's attempting to persuade? If so, it's not a method intellectual rigor approves of.

... It was his I'm-joining-the-race speech, and it was replayed on the news over and over and over again and plastered across news online and social media for days afterwards as everyone reacted to it. It was harder to avoid than star wars spoilers.

And repeated for several months afterwards.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13799 on: March 07, 2016, 10:09:03 pm »

Only reason I found out about it was because of my parents/fellow people. *shrug* And I didn't even know it was his joining the race speech.

I don't really do much social media, though. Or news, for that matter.

If I can miss that, others can too.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 918 919 [920] 921 922 ... 1342