Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 920 921 [922] 923 924 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1549626 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #13815 on: March 08, 2016, 11:20:13 am »

Don't be ridiculous, David "Mr. Pink" Cameron doesn't let immigrants use the internet.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13817 on: March 08, 2016, 11:25:41 am »

An actual, honest to goodness Godwin.

That's nothing new, people have been comparing Trump to Hitler for months now.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #13818 on: March 08, 2016, 11:40:10 am »

You missed the opportunity to say "An actual, honest to Godwin"
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13819 on: March 08, 2016, 11:58:57 am »

First, let me get this Donald Trump issue out of the way: If you’re thoughtful about it and show some real awareness of history, go ahead and refer to Hitler or Nazis when you talk about Trump. Or any other politician.

(There are 13 more paragraphs after that if you want to read the rest of his thoughts on the subject)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13820 on: March 08, 2016, 12:49:40 pm »

The term Godwin is thrown around way too much. Not every reference to Hitler is a "Godwin". Comparisons to Hitler are entirely valid if someone is proposing Hitler-ish policies. Having an election promise to round up 11 million "undesirable" types and excise them from society for not being proper  people is worthy of comparison to Hitler. And the consequences of even trying to do such a thing are the problem, not the original intentions of the politician enacting that law.

Trump wants to get 11 million illegals out of America. Well, he has to round up about 1.5 million of them per year to get it done in two-terms. That's "hitler-scale" mass arrests. Then you have to put them into camps - really big camps, and you have to recruit a huge agency to do all this. Naturally, standards will be low (they will be guys who failed the army and police), and massive amounts of mistakes will be made - you leave the house without your ID, then they grab you and you have to prove who you are from a cell. This huge agency will be impossible to oversee, and running camps with hundreds of thousands or millions of captured illegals, there will be bound to be abuses of authority.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 01:15:14 pm by Reelya »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13821 on: March 08, 2016, 01:12:04 pm »

I'm troubled that people compare "Returning illegal immigrants to their country of citizenship" with "Rounding up a race of citizens and murdering them in ovens".  No amount of "technically it's different buuuut" makes that comparison valid.

I still believe in one time blanket amnesty as the most practical solution to the problem.  They don't deserve to be here, they cheated their fellow immigrants.  They work hard, yes, and they do it for less than minimum wage and in abject fear of being deported.  They're essentially a slave class for the corporations and the rich, destroying the bargaining position of real citizen laborers.  Republicans love to stir up anti-foreigner sentiment, but they actually *love* illegal labor.

That has to end, and giving them citizenship is the practical way.  Fair or not.
A mass deportation would be justice, but it would be a trainwreck comparable to prohibition or the war on drugs.  Possibly worse.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13822 on: March 08, 2016, 01:16:00 pm »

You can't "return" people without capturing them and putting them into camps. It doesn't work the way you seem to say.

You want to get rid of 11 million people including large numbers of elderly, women and children, well it's not going to as simple as buying them a bus ticket and giving them a lolipop each.

No, you literally have to get jackbooted guys to kick in doors, and go in fully armed and do the full arrest / tasing thing on the entire family. Common sense suggests that's how it will be done (they might be armed). You have to mass arrest people in poor areas, then let them go only after proving that they are legal citizens. Illegals don't put their hands up nicely when you ask "ok, who here is illegal". No, you arrest all hispanics and then get them to prove they are legal. That's the only way it can conceivably work.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 01:19:36 pm by Reelya »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13823 on: March 08, 2016, 01:18:28 pm »

I did mention that a mass deportation would probably be worse than the war on drugs or prohibition.  So I don't support it.
Illegal aliens are returned all the time, just not in numbers that would solve the problem this century.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13824 on: March 08, 2016, 01:22:06 pm »

I'm not convinced a "one time" amnesty wouldn't just encourage an order of magnitude more illegal immigration from people hoping it'll happen again (because it's a thing that happens now. They might even be right.) or to get in on it while the original offer is still good. I'm not trying to be a dick, but the possibility definitely exists.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13825 on: March 08, 2016, 01:23:22 pm »

I'm troubled that people compare "Returning illegal immigrants to their country of citizenship" with "Rounding up a race of citizens and murdering them in ovens".  No amount of "technically it's different buuuut" makes that comparison valid.
True, but let's also not forget that any measures of this type would necessarily have a racist component: They'll be hunting down Mexican-looking folks to deport them, since illegal aliens aren't registered pretty much by definition. On the scale we're talking about, due process will necessarily fall by the wayside, leading to the deportation of American citizens because of their Latino ethnicity. And you can bet your sweet ass that they won't be rounding up white folks because they might be illegal immigrants from Canada.

Just because it's not explicitly racist doesn't make it not implicitly so.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13826 on: March 08, 2016, 01:25:20 pm »

My point is that to find 11 million people, you really need a gestapo-like organization, then you really need somewhere to house the capture people - which will be huge concentration camps. That's all concentration camps means - you concentrate people into a small area. Any country that does this sort of thing ends up with abuse scandals and mini-hitlers misusing their power over individuals. This happened in Australia - we "accidentally" deported an Asian-Australian citizen who had been in a car accident and was comatose. She didn't have the correct papers on her at the time of the accident. To keep people from accumulating in the camps, you need to radically streamline deportation. And you can bet that mistakes will be made and Americans will be accidentally swept up in that. Illegals don't have a flashing-red "I'm Illegal" marker above their head - they look like normal people.

Think about a corrupt deportation agent abusing his power to have sex with underage illegal Mexican girls (or boys). This will definitely happen. I will guarantee that if anyone tries anything on this scale, some little girls are going to get raped as a result. It's because this is how things always go when you build a massive organization with massive power over a marginalized group. The intentions of the politicians who wrote the new laws don't mean jack.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 01:31:44 pm by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13827 on: March 08, 2016, 01:26:44 pm »

Don't be ridiculous, David "Mr. Pink" Cameron doesn't let immigrants use the internet.
Given how many he's let in he's all aboard the cultural enrichment train from here to porkwater

Yeah but technically you sound like Hitler

Republicans love to stir up anti-foreigner sentiment, but they actually *love* illegal labor.
Maybe top cheese but I doubt Cletus, Jamal and Pedro hire loads of illegal migrants

That has to end, and giving them citizenship is the practical way.  Fair or not.
A mass deportation would be justice, but it would be a trainwreck comparable to prohibition or the war on drugs.  Possibly worse.
Only if you fail at life

You can't "return" people without capturing them and putting them into camps. It doesn't work the way you seem to say.
You want to get rid of 11 million people including large numbers of elderly, women and children, well it's not going to as simple as buying them a bus ticket and giving them a lolipop each.
The Germans literally put them on planes and send them back simple as

The Germans

The guys that were Nazis

They actually put them in concentration camps in order to do the opposite, and accommodate them

Accommodation = Literal usage of former Nazi concentration camps
Deportation = Sending them home

Checkmate Adolfs

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13828 on: March 08, 2016, 01:28:51 pm »

That's nothing new, people have been comparing Trump to Hitler for months now.
Someone's doing the Godwinning, and it ain't only the anti-Trumpists.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The first one is currently on the front page of #MakeAmericaGreatAgain, for the record.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13829 on: March 08, 2016, 01:30:53 pm »

Jesus Christ quoting TRS animu shills

What a time to be alive senpai

My shitposting has prepared me for this
Pages: 1 ... 920 921 [922] 923 924 ... 1342