Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 793 794 [795] 796 797 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544060 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Ted Cruz's Adult Coloring Book and Chill 2016 Megathread
« Reply #11910 on: February 16, 2016, 11:00:29 pm »

Spotted the rock or something diagram.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11911 on: February 16, 2016, 11:03:56 pm »

Eating BBQ hotdogs or hamburgers with mustard is fine. Though maybe it's a sin in the south or something.
ಠ_ಠ

Barbecue is a noun, not a verb or adjective. At least not in the civilized parts of the country.
And large sections of Lesser Carolina are noted for their heresy of using a mustard-based sauce with their pulled pork.*
Whereas Greater Carolina, although we have a deep division between the Lexington and the Eastern schools, have a general respect for each other and acknowledge each other as legitimate barbecue. It's kinda like the two North Carolina styles are Catholicism and Protestantism, and South Carolina are Coptic or some shit.

*It's actually not bad. The mustard sauce is particularly good with boiled potatoes. But it's still heresy.
As someone who grew up in the upper Midwest, "BBQ" is basically just shorthand for "add some Sweet Baby Ray's to it".

BBQ pork. BBQ chicken. BBQ fish. BBQ tuna salad. BBQ fruit salad. BBQ pancakes. BBQ on white bread. Deep-fried BBQ. BBQ in a sippy cup...
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11912 on: February 16, 2016, 11:12:48 pm »

@mainiac: Considering that both Hillary and Jeb have an image problem regarding "authenticity", I think it has costs.

I'm pretty sure those problems have more to do with being in the center of bitter political fights for decades then with the occasional no stakes political photo op.  It's not like the Bengazi hearings were payback for Hillary asking for muffin recipes back in 93.  It's not like Jeb! doesn't use the bush name out of modesty.
You know damn well what I'm talking about. The Bush family is a wealthy Northeastern elite family. GWB could actually pull off the "Texas cowboy" thing because let's face it -- he didn't have the refinement or intelligence thing going on. Jeb is too well-spoken and too...."wealthy business guy" to come off as a legit pistol-waving country boy.

Pandering is, at its heart, the act of saying "I'm one of you" to a group when everyone knows damn well you're not one of them. Every politician does it to some extent, whether it's Rudy Giuliani wearing green and marching in a St. Patrick's Day parade, or the various slate of candidates doing "Iowa stuff" when they campaign in Iowa, or posing with various guns when courting the NRA.

Spoiler: This is pandering. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: This isn't. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: This is pandering. (click to show/hide)

(And you'll notice I abstained from posting any Hillary images...not trying to start shit, I'm just sayin.)

It's a problem that Sanders has dealt with in a largely honest way, by basically saying "Look...I'm not black. I'm not Latino. And I'm not trying to be. But we have common ground and common issues."

The problem is that most people LIKE to be pandered to, just not when it's ham-fisted. (Unless you're campaigning in Smithfield, Virginia -- "Ham Capital of the World" -- in which case wielding a ham in each fist is probably a good way to pander.)

Bill Clinton was a master panderer. Dude could schmooze like nobody's business, and still come off as likeable. Joe Biden is damn good at this too.
Hillary....not so much.
Trump is good at it in a flashy, WWE sort of way, but I doubt many people really think he gives two shits about the podunk towns he visits on the campaign trail.

EDIT: Saying "barbecue some hot dogs" is (to my ear) like saying "whiskey some beer". You can grill a hot dog or a hamburger. You can even "barbecue" it (in the vulgar sense) by slathering barbecue sauce on it, but that does not make it barbecue. I weep for the rest of the country.  :P
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 11:18:37 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11913 on: February 16, 2016, 11:22:29 pm »

RedKing, that's 'cause most of those poor saps use "barbeque" as a synonym for "grill" like some sort of barbarian horde aping the speech of a Roman man.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11914 on: February 16, 2016, 11:24:47 pm »

Redking, you appear to be agreeing with me.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #11915 on: February 16, 2016, 11:25:19 pm »

"Barbecue hotdogs" makes me think of hot dogs shredded into bits and smoked. Sure, you can call a grill-out a barbecue but that doesn't mean every use of the word is applicable to your burgers and hotdogs.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11916 on: February 16, 2016, 11:29:58 pm »

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/thief-lost-arm-deserved-attorney-article-1.2530763
Hey guys what do you think of this?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This bellend pretended to buy some sneakers off of
This guy from Craigslist, only instead of paying for the sneakers he pulled a gun on him and robbed him of his sneakers. Only it doesn't end there as after the bellend fails to get on a bus, our man Philippe Pierre runs him over and disarms him. Literally, as in his arm was severed.

Sam was a senior at Medgar Evers High School, and the son of Caribbean immigrants who spoiled him with $300 pairs of sneakers, according to another neighbor.
I never did get this, I've never known a thief in my life who did not already have the means to get what they wanted honestly. If you have the money for it, why steal? From them, I've had many answers, none of them honest.

Now everyone's split on this, because the robber is literally one of the most unsympathetic people possible whilst Pierre is a Haitian underdog just trying to put dinner on the table for his family through Craigslist of all things, so I've got no sympathy for the bellend and all for Pierre. But at the same time it's also quite sketchy how much you can get away with Shariahing a thief by U-turning your car around. I understand when you're attacked you're panicked but there's all that issue of the robber and his gun, and whether Pierre legally should have attempted to drive away rather than plow steel into bone (assuming of course that it was not an accidental collision).
Hopefully he just gets some probation, a fine or something, and if the prosecutors want to do him in for attempted murder the same should be done for the guy who pulled a gun out over sneakers, at the very least this cheeki breeki sneakers sneak cannot go unpunished. Then again, dude lost his arm. Do you get reduced sentencing if the crime you committed fails and leaves you ironically harmed? Like if some bloke was convicted of rape but then he tripped and fell on a bear trap? Or more abstractly, if some tax fraud accidentally gave all of their money away in a ponzi scheme against them?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11917 on: February 16, 2016, 11:35:00 pm »

Why is it politics?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11918 on: February 16, 2016, 11:39:32 pm »

It's where all the other American self defence ambiguities went, I never understood why it went here but it always did

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11919 on: February 16, 2016, 11:57:21 pm »

In spite of all the jokes around them MREs are really fairly decent, I preferred them to the horrible food served in the difac.  They aren't particularly good either, just decent.  Which, all things considered, seems to be something in their favor.

In the short term, the humble mre is definitely preferable to the dfac, it's just the long term where they get repetitive, rat-fucked, and poor for the body where they get their bad rap.

I still keep a few stashed away for emergencies and extreme laziness
Even the avatars expire eventually.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11920 on: February 17, 2016, 12:40:58 am »

Hey guys what do you think of this?

While I feel for the guy, we have laws against vigilante justice. It's a short drive from taking someone's arm off to blowing them away for theft, which I'm not cool with. The thief doesn't have my sympathies; you rob someone they react how they're gonna react. That's the risk you take. But the victim? It could have easily turned into a greater tragedy if he'd done something stupid, or driven poorly or had a gun.

Assault 2 or 3, w/e. Anything more than that like Attempted Manslaughter or murder seems unjust. But if he does some time I think it's sad but probably fair. Sneakers aren't worth a man's arm even if he is a bastard.

Put another way, I wouldn't want him to be acquitted because it sends the message to others that shit you see in the movies is a legit way of handling crime. To fucking dismember a dude with a car, I don't think he "just" ran him over. Do I blame him? No. But he's gotta settle with the consequences of his actions just like the dude who doesn't have an arm anymore.

Criminals may be criminals but I don't want the belief to be that committing a crime = a right to maim and execute someone as a form of justice. Cops do that shit all the time, we don't need to be doing it to each other.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 12:42:33 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11921 on: February 17, 2016, 12:45:35 am »

From the  sound of things the guy who was robbed ran the robber down in his car happened to disarm him. If it'd been some shit like backing onto his chest and burning rubber, I could see meaningful criminal charges, but not this. Especially when it's totes okay (apparently) to shoot someone dead in the same situation.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11922 on: February 17, 2016, 12:50:14 am »

I dunno. If you "happen" to disarm someone with your car it's not because you hit them; it's because you ran their ass over. That will kill people. Maybe he just tried to give him a love tap but....he could have killed the man just as easily.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11923 on: February 17, 2016, 01:06:52 am »

Especially when it's totes okay (apparently) to shoot someone dead in the same situation.

New York is not a stand your ground state AFAIK.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11924 on: February 17, 2016, 01:48:48 am »

Redking, you appear to be agreeing with me.
Only if you interpreted "Hillary....not so much" to mean she doesn't pander much. Which isn't what I was saying. I was saying that she isn't GOOD at it.

Bill could put on a pair of shades and play the sax on Arsenio Hall, and black people damn near claimed him as one of their own. And he looked good doing it.

Hillary goes on Ellen to whip and do the nae nae, and it's just cringeworthy. We're talking Mitt Romney "Who Let the Dogs Out?" cringeworthy.

Bill was the first President to acknowledge Kwanzaa, and people were like "Hey, that's pretty cool, man. Thanks for noticing us."
Hillary turned her "H" logo into some kind of Kwanzaa-tree:

And people were (rightly, imho) like, "Bitch, what you know about Kwanzaa?" (Hint: NOBODY knows anything about Kwanzaa. Not even people who celebrate Kwanzaa.)

See, there's a vast difference between acknowledgement and appropriation. And younger audiences are a lot more sensitive to issues of appropriation, which is why I think Hillary is struggling mightily among young voters-- black, white and Hispanic. She has a pattern of tone-deaf pandering, and it's starting to seriously catch up with her.

#NotMyAbuela
#NewHillaryLogo
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 01:50:29 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 793 794 [795] 796 797 ... 1342