Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 489 490 [491] 492 493 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545594 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #7350 on: December 06, 2015, 11:24:52 pm »

If by heat you mean beheadings, don't worry we exchange cash for gold and beheadings for blessings
P.s. if you break it you buy it, gib shekels Obama

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7351 on: December 07, 2015, 12:52:03 am »

Everyone knows that those attacks are false-flag ops run by ISIS. Steel rain can't melt unrefined jet fuel.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7352 on: December 07, 2015, 01:01:47 am »

Steel rain can't melt unrefined jet fuel.
I want to sig this, but... You know, there's no good reason not to.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7353 on: December 07, 2015, 05:00:47 am »

If someone called DU ordinance tactical nukes, they're either trying to lie to you or idiots.

This is what a tacnuke looks like.
Now that is some fine artillery.  You will literally glass a metropolis with a volley from 3-4 cannons.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7354 on: December 07, 2015, 06:25:28 am »

DU is just a cheap way of reducing nuclear waste build up. Back in gulf war 1 I remember hearing about the number of veterans who were complaining of sickness, and they were mocked by the Army brass for being hypochondriacs and the military's "experts" were all saying what nonsense it was. It turned out many years later that Gulf War I was the first war in which the US deployed large amounts of DU ammunition and "gulf war syndrome" which was widely mocked at the time was nothing other than basic radiation poisoning, which the soldiers were lied to about and left untreated.

They actually knew about the risks beforehand and the military even produced proper safety handling manuals for the DU ammo, but these manuals were quietly trashed and the soldiers were never told they were handling known carcinogenic materials. It's the same thing as asbestos mines where the company denies asbestos is dangerous - you don't even hand out simple paper face-masks because that would be admitting you know there's a risk. So you let people be exposed to the full dangers rather than admit you knew about the risks the whole time.

Fucking thanks, Bush Senior, sneakily irradiating your own soldiers then lying to them and denying them needed treatment to maintain the lie. You couldn't make this stuff up, it's movie-level villainy.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 06:38:24 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7355 on: December 07, 2015, 06:34:00 am »

The real villainy is that the government cannot be prosecuted for this. In fact, they can do all kinds of horrible, known inhumane experiments on soldiers and be untouchable.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7356 on: December 07, 2015, 07:18:06 am »

DU is perfectly safe, the shitty coverup attempt implying its toxicity is the actual coverup for the real cause of gulf war syndrome: Complications caused by the Genome Solider program in which thousands were secretly given gene therapy based off the genome of the legendary solider Big Boss.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7357 on: December 07, 2015, 07:57:47 am »

DU is just a cheap way of reducing nuclear waste build up. Back in gulf war 1 I remember hearing about the number of veterans who were complaining of sickness, and they were mocked by the Army brass for being hypochondriacs and the military's "experts" were all saying what nonsense it was. It turned out many years later that Gulf War I was the first war in which the US deployed large amounts of DU ammunition and "gulf war syndrome" which was widely mocked at the time was nothing other than basic radiation poisoning, which the soldiers were lied to about and left untreated.

They actually knew about the risks beforehand and the military even produced proper safety handling manuals for the DU ammo, but these manuals were quietly trashed and the soldiers were never told they were handling known carcinogenic materials. It's the same thing as asbestos mines where the company denies asbestos is dangerous - you don't even hand out simple paper face-masks because that would be admitting you know there's a risk. So you let people be exposed to the full dangers rather than admit you knew about the risks the whole time.

Fucking thanks, Bush Senior, sneakily irradiating your own soldiers then lying to them and denying them needed treatment to maintain the lie. You couldn't make this stuff up, it's movie-level villainy.

That's incorrect, like pretty much every sentence.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7358 on: December 07, 2015, 08:04:51 am »

Well, let's fact check

Gulf War Syndrome was a thing. You can google that. It affected over 35% of active personnel in Gulf War I, or 250,000 out of 700,000 active personnel (source: national academy of sciences) with long-running otherwise unexplained symptoms of "fatigue, muscle pain, cognitive problems, rashes and diarrhea". Which is pretty much like the standard go-to list of radiation exposure. You also have some veterans who continue to piss out uranium a decade later.

http://www.ccnr.org/du_hague.html
http://www.ccnr.org/bertell_book.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16687268
http://www.pdhealth.mil/downloads/Env_Health%20Effects_DU.pdf
http://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/docs/chapter6.html

Sure, there are some studies quoted that dispute the connections, but every single one of those I've read about was done by the US department of defense or similar official US army departments, who would basically be the accused party in this case. It wouldn't make any sense to say "well the person accused of doing this issued a statement that you're wrong, so we should take their word for it".
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 08:35:16 am by Reelya »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7359 on: December 07, 2015, 08:58:45 am »

Read a wikipedia page sometime. Gulf War Syndrome includes a ridiculously long list of symptoms, with a list of proposed causes that is nearly as long. Calling it a syndrome is largely useless, because it's not something simple like radiation poison.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7360 on: December 07, 2015, 09:25:36 am »

Well, let's fact check

Gulf War Syndrome was a thing. You can google that. It affected over 35% of active personnel in Gulf War I, or 250,000 out of 700,000 active personnel (source: national academy of sciences) with long-running otherwise unexplained symptoms of "fatigue, muscle pain, cognitive problems, rashes and diarrhea". Which is pretty much like the standard go-to list of radiation exposure. You also have some veterans who continue to piss out uranium a decade later.

http://www.ccnr.org/du_hague.html
http://www.ccnr.org/bertell_book.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16687268
http://www.pdhealth.mil/downloads/Env_Health%20Effects_DU.pdf
http://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/docs/chapter6.html

Sure, there are some studies quoted that dispute the connections, but every single one of those I've read about was done by the US department of defense or similar official US army departments, who would basically be the accused party in this case. It wouldn't make any sense to say "well the person accused of doing this issued a statement that you're wrong, so we should take their word for it".

Depleted Uranium has been extensively used in other conflicts, none of which have GWS-type diseases associated with them, even in soldiers that have high levels of uranium in their urine during tests. There is essentially zero possibility that DU is a cause of GWS. The symptoms of GWS correspond most closely with chemical weapons exposure, and it is a confirmed fact that Iraqi chemical weapons storage sites were bombed during the Gulf War, exposing around 130,000+ Coalition troops to residues. Large levels  of pesticides, which are also nerve toxins, were deployed in an attempt to prevent disease outbreaks as well. Most actual experts consider these two sources to be the most likely cause.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7361 on: December 07, 2015, 09:57:25 am »

Read a wikipedia page sometime. Gulf War Syndrome includes a ridiculously long list of symptoms, with a list of proposed causes that is nearly as long. Calling it a syndrome is largely useless, because it's not something simple like radiation poison.

I took that list of symptoms directly from wikipedia's introduction to the topic, so it's an ironic request that I read a wikipedia article. But I'll go a better link:
A prominent condition affecting Gulf War Veterans is a cluster of medically unexplained chronic symptoms that can include fatigue, headaches, joint pain, indigestion, insomnia, dizziness, respiratory disorders, and memory problems.
http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/gulfwar/medically-unexplained-illness.asp
But they can easily test for chemical exposure, and they can easily protect soldiers from chemical exposure. Why was none of the common sense tests and stuff done then? It's the fact that they dropped the ball and haven't done anything like a proper follow-up that allows all sort of theories to spread. Basically a whole lot of people got sick, and the response was to deny that they were sick and refuse to do anything about it or properly look into the cause. That was the entire response for many years.

Lord Shonus: you're probably right, though .mil documents do state they massively changed how DU is handled after Gulf War I so the fact that there aren't any incidents after that could be related to that. But if it's just general chemical exposure then you'd expect many other wars to have high rates of this sort of illness too. So it has to then be explained why wars in general don't all cause the same level of illness. It's not like Gulf War I was the first war where they sprayed bug spray a lot or there was flame and smoke from burning stuff, yet you don't really see similar account on anywhere near this scale of soldiers getting sick in massive numbers. I'm sure the amount of toxins exploding all over the place in WWII Germany was much greater and more concentrated than Iraq in 1991, yet i've never heard of returning GIs getting sick in the same numbers. If they had been, well then Gulf War Syndrome wouldn't have been a thing since it would be just the expected rate of exposure.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 10:15:50 am by Reelya »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7362 on: December 07, 2015, 10:18:12 am »

I took that list of symptoms directly from wikipedia's introduction to the topic, so it's an ironic request that I read a wikipedia article.

Lord Shonus: you're probably right, though .mil documents do state they massively changed how DU is handled after Gulf War I so the fact that there aren't any incidents after that could be related to that. But if it's just general chemical exposure then you'd expect many other wars to have high rates of this sort of illness too. So it has to then be explained why wars in general don't all cause the same level of illness. It's not like Gulf War I was the first war where they sprayed bug spray a lot or there was flame and smoke from burning stuff, yet you don't really see similar account on anywhere near this scale of soldiers getting sick in massive numbers. I'm sure the amount of toxins exploding all over the place in WWII Germany was much greater and more concentrated than Iraq in 1991, yet i've never heard of returning GIs getting sick in the same numbers. If they had been, well then Gulf War Syndrome wouldn't have been a thing since it would be just the expected rate of exposure.
The Gulf War was the first (and so far only) war where the only chemical weapon exposure was residue from bombed weapon sites - previous wars either had no chemical weapons used, and thus no exposure) or people were exposed to the poisons directly and didn't develop a GWS equivalent because the poison killed them more directly.

As for pesticides, long-term exposure to high-concentration pesticides has caused GWS-like syndromes since the things were invented.

The. Cause. Is. Proven.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7363 on: December 07, 2015, 10:23:24 am »

The chemical weapons site thing is questionable, because then they'd just be able to show that people got sick if they were near those sites at the right time and the army would be off the hook.

Ok, I have a better theory than any of those we've brought up now. Source is a study from 2011:
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/military/story/2011-09-19/gulf-war-illness-study/50459462/1

1) Some soldiers got sick if they reported spraying pesticides on their clothes or directly on their skin. Which is sort of self-explanatory, you'd expect to get sick if you do that. But they're not the ones who got really sick. The #1 provable link is actually pills they gave to coalition soldiers on purpose:

They found Gulf War illness was most prevalent in the veterans who served in Iraq or Kuwait — or the combat zones — who took pyridostigmine bromide pills, which were small doses of nerve agent meant to help troops build up a resistance in case of a chemical attack. However, those troops did not report using pesticides on their clothing or skin. These servicemembers also reported being within one mile of an exploding Scud missile.

Ok, I was wrong about accidental exposure from DU, that they subsequently tried to cover up. The reality is FAR nastier: deliberate exposure to a known nerve toxin to try and toughen-up troops in the short term against nerve gas attacks. Some exposure they caused deliberately actually makes more sense than the accidental exposures theory: it explains why it's so widespread and can't be identified with any specific geographically located threats. And I guess it makes more sense that they'd want to cover up something they did on purpose, since they either knew or really should have known the medical consequences of any chemical they are dosing up the entire army with.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 10:54:35 am by Reelya »

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7364 on: December 07, 2015, 11:10:33 am »

So who wants to tell Reelya about amphetamines, Panzerschokolade, "brown bombers", penal battalions, "Dutch Courage", pre-charge rum issues in WWI and Waterloo's mid-battle rum distribution?
Pages: 1 ... 489 490 [491] 492 493 ... 1342