Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 457 458 [459] 460 461 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548536 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #6870 on: November 25, 2015, 09:03:26 pm »

I wasn't even talking about Trump.  ;)

Edit:

I have always presumed sides are lying through their teeth, but to propose I am categorically wrong and the world is categorically right is a rather impossible, as the world does not agree with itself.
You had to misperceive what I wrote, expanding it to encompass ALL OF THE THINGS instead of just deliberate media bias / propaganda, in order to reject it? Fascinating.

I mean, even this forum was incredulous over the CNBC debate.
I was amused by it, to be honest. Cruz was clever. Everyone else jumped on his attack-the-moderators tactic after he used it. Nobody else did it as well as he did, of course. Moderators either tried to "attack" the candidates, or get them to address their weaknesses and become stronger candidates. We know which one the candidates want everyone to believe, of course, which the audience in the room certainly bought - That it was hosted by the "lamestream media" should make it obvious. There were also amusing instances of moderators asking fact-based questions of candidates, which candidates responded to by rejected that reality and substituting their own, and the audience cheering the candidates. For instance, Ben Carson's mannatech answer. Check this out: https://youtu.be/0gO8ny1jins?t=6m

So with the latest press drive being "Trump is Hitler"
Hitler today would still be focused on genociding the Jews. His only concern with Muslims would be if they could be allies against the Jews - which he also did in real life. Being Hitler is not what anyone is accusing Trump of.

(... Maybe someone can explain "Hitlery," because it makes no fucking sense :V)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 10:52:12 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6871 on: November 25, 2015, 10:35:10 pm »

I've seen the question and answer session in question and the only way you can draw that conclusion is confirming one's own biases. It was literally a screwball question thrown in the signature line after a speech by a faux fan (who happens to be a Hillary backer and former Talking Points Memo writer). Trump redirects to his border control wall spiel, and when asked if he would implement "that", agrees. Presto chango, "that" means armbands and concentration camps. CNN even selectively edits the tape to remove his words about building a wall, so "that" is clearly the registry suggested by the operative.

How do you not see this as bullshit?
Because it's more than just the one comment.
To be fair, Trump doesn't help matters by rambling like that one uncle at Thanksgiving dinner who's been hitting the wine bottle just a little too hard.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6872 on: November 26, 2015, 07:53:26 am »

I'm still not entirely sure if he genuinely believes all this shit or if he's just decided to go all-in on the racist xenophobe demographic.

RedKing: There's quite a bit, apparently, that was plagiarized from older polytheistic religions which were considered false, with the serial numbers filed off, but that copying was apparently common practice back then.
A truly astonishing amount of the Abrahamic mythos is cribbed from the notes of earlier religions, to the point where in modern parlance it's basically "original character donut steel".

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6873 on: November 26, 2015, 10:08:09 am »

That's just how myth culture works. Aphrodite was a Phoenecian goddess and all that nonsense.

Is it known whether the Sumerian and other mesopotamian cultures were semitic or something else?
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6874 on: November 26, 2015, 10:11:31 am »

That's just how myth culture works. Aphrodite was a Phoenecian goddess and all that nonsense.

Is it known whether the Sumerian and other mesopotamian cultures were semitic or something else?

No, but the Jews did spend some time in Babylon, so theres definetly exposure to mesopotamian culture.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6875 on: November 26, 2015, 10:30:14 am »

No, but the Jews did spend some time in Babylon, so theres definetly exposure to mesopotamian culture.

Such as angels and Satan.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6876 on: November 26, 2015, 10:34:42 am »

Such as angels and Satan.

Good spirits and evil beings aren't unique to mesopotamia anyway.

Anyhow, we're going off topic with this religion tangent.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6877 on: November 26, 2015, 10:41:15 am »

I did look it up on Wikipedia after posting (yeah yeah, think first, talk later, whatever :P ) and while Sumerian itself seems to be of unknown origin and without known relatives, the the other languages of the Mesopotamian area were indeed Semitic. The region was home to both Sumerian and the east Semitic Accadian, which grew together, although Accadian became the dominate over time. Both the Babylonian and Assyrian peoples spoke Accadian, for example.

So anyway if they're different parts of the same culture tree it's not much of a surprise they share mythical content. It's not necessarily taking from the other any more than Norse/Greek/Hindu religions and myths are stealing from each for sharing similarities.
Love, scriver~

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6878 on: November 26, 2015, 10:55:21 am »

I've seen the question and answer session in question and the only way you can draw that conclusion is confirming one's own biases. It was literally a screwball question thrown in the signature line after a speech by a faux fan (who happens to be a Hillary backer and former Talking Points Memo writer). Trump redirects to his border control wall spiel, and when asked if he would implement "that", agrees. Presto chango, "that" means armbands and concentration camps. CNN even selectively edits the tape to remove his words about building a wall, so "that" is clearly the registry suggested by the operative.

How do you not see this as bullshit?
Because it's more than just the one comment.
To be fair, Trump doesn't help matters by rambling like that one uncle at Thanksgiving dinner who's been hitting the wine bottle just a little too hard.
This just confirms what everyone's been suspecting all along. Trump uses English like a gorilla uses sign language: only to get things from people and make people do things for him---rarely, if ever, to express abstract ideas or communicate coherent propositions like a human being. There's no reason to assume that he's got literal Hitler flowing through his veins, but considering that he has almost surpassed Hitler in terms of absolute solipsistic insanity, would it really matter much if he did?

Incidentally, here's some more unremitting humour horror from the parallel Trumpverse: Rock-stupid dipshit cartoonist considers Trump a rhetorical genius.
Adams, who has classified Trump as a “Clown Genius” and an “unstoppable” master of persuasion, couches much of his analysis in the idea that Trump is an expert at “linguistic kill shots” (think: “low-energy” Jeb Bush) and that his months of political fortune have defied virtually every prediction the American pundit class has hurled his way.
“This has nothing to do with any logic,” Adams told The Daily Beast. “But history has turned on a few people—like the Founding Fathers and Jesus Christ come to mind—who used the same tricks: They describe to people a better vision of themselves. And Trump fits into that [model] in the most direct way you could possibly do. He’s saying, ‘You’re an American, I’m going to make you feel great.’”
This literally the most tragic thing that could happen to the intellectual legacy of the Enlightenment and the American Revolution.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6879 on: November 26, 2015, 10:56:33 am »

Sure, but it's hardly a coincidence that a large Jewish community migrated into the heart of the Zoroastrian religion and then all of a sudden Judaism has these angels whose role and defining characteristic (humans with big honkin' wings) is the exact same as the Zoroastrian one.

Anyhow, we're going off topic with this religion tangent.
There was a topic?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6880 on: November 26, 2015, 12:31:44 pm »

Rock-stupid dipshit cartoonist considers Trump a rhetorical genius.
Adams, who has classified Trump as a “Clown Genius” and an “unstoppable” master of persuasion, couches much of his analysis in the idea that Trump is an expert at “linguistic kill shots” (think: “low-energy” Jeb Bush) and that his months of political fortune have defied virtually every prediction the American pundit class has hurled his way.
“This has nothing to do with any logic,” Adams told The Daily Beast. “But history has turned on a few people—like the Founding Fathers and Jesus Christ come to mind—who used the same tricks: They describe to people a better vision of themselves. And Trump fits into that [model] in the most direct way you could possibly do. He’s saying, ‘You’re an American, I’m going to make you feel great.’”
This literally the most tragic thing that could happen to the intellectual legacy of the Enlightenment and the American Revolution.

Clown Genius? He's no Joker, and he's certainly not giving people a better vision of themselves, unless Adams thinks a better vision of Trump's supporters would be them casting out or suppressing every racial group that Trump can stereotype as terrorists, rapists, murderers, etc, and beating up (or worse) anyone who dares oppose them, in an America where black lives don't matter and fact-checking and history are liberal conspiracies.

I'm going to wager that Nate Silver is more likely to be correct than Scott Adams.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6881 on: November 26, 2015, 01:01:43 pm »

Possibly cribbed from Egyptian goddess Hathor too, since the etymology is correct and there is a 1:1 relationship between almost all Egyptian gods and Mycenean ones. There's also no mystery about how the Phoenecians influenced Greek culture. The Phoenecians were a great seafaring people who settled everywhere from the black sea to Portugal. The idea that they never made it to Greece is actually a modern concept conceived by 18th century Germanic scholars who were massive anti-semitic douchebags and didn't like the idea that semites and North African peoples had an influence on early European culture. Since Greece was seen as the cradle of Europe, they literally "whitewashed" Greek culture, projecting the 18th century's emerging white European supremacy viewpoint onto the ancient Greeks.

Actually there are greek tales of specific cities in Greece having been either colonized or conquered by both the Phoenecians and Egyptians. e.g:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadmus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danaus
The white supremacist scholars (who used to be 100% mainstream a century or two ago) claim the Greeks were lying or deluded about their own non-European heritage.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 01:14:15 pm by Reelya »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6882 on: November 26, 2015, 01:14:15 pm »

Sure, but it's hardly a coincidence that a large Jewish community migrated into the heart of the Zoroastrian religion and then all of a sudden Judaism has these angels whose role and defining characteristic (humans with big honkin' wings) is the exact same as the Zoroastrian one.
Aren't the angels in the bible usually fairly trippy creatures, having about a thousand eyes evenly spread over their body and other such things?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6883 on: November 26, 2015, 03:08:15 pm »

Aren't the angels in the bible usually fairly trippy creatures, having about a thousand eyes evenly spread over their body and other such things?
That's the seraphim. They have 6 wings, and eyes everywhere.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6884 on: November 26, 2015, 05:32:39 pm »

Some angels are incomprehensible monsters, some just appear as people. I don't think any angels in the bible appear as humans with wings though.
Pages: 1 ... 457 458 [459] 460 461 ... 1342