Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548582 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #6855 on: November 25, 2015, 03:49:09 pm »

I would like to point out that a number of the most prominent voices labelling Trump a fascist lately are themselves conservatives.

Even if he isn't technically fascist, some of the rhetoric coming from him is pretty dang authoritarian. Though it's with a pretty massive dose of the showmanship he puts in.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 04:06:47 pm by smjjames »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6856 on: November 25, 2015, 04:14:33 pm »

Caesar was also all about genociding inferior people and taking their land and giving it to good Roman soldiers (locus vitae?). Also autobahns, and also liked dogs, probably.

Is that why half of Gaul allied with him?  Because he was genociding them and they wanted to get in on the fun?
I'm about 95% certain that scriver's comment was sarcastic.

The comparison to Hitler was a joke (I thought the dog part made it obvious), but Caesar did genocide the Gaul (through indiscriminate slaughter of civilians as well as mass enslavement) to the point of them never regaining their strength, even if it was not a deliberate "genocide campaign" in the spirit of the holocaust or the armenian genocide. And once Gaulish land were then granted to Roman immigrants, colonists, and veterans (as was common procedure), so the "lebensraum" analogue isn't completely unfounded, even if I wouldn't make it with a super serious face.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 04:18:39 pm by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6857 on: November 25, 2015, 04:29:57 pm »

So on the scale of genocide... would it be closer to the Age of Exploration in Central-South America or the Colonial Period-Western Times of North America?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6858 on: November 25, 2015, 05:10:23 pm »

... probably less than that. Those are up there with hitler's stuff, by and large. Significantly more effective than caesar's doings. More due to diseases than anything, iirc, but... still.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6859 on: November 25, 2015, 05:13:31 pm »

I don't think those count as genocide. Genocide is intentional by definition.

EDIT: Not that those weren't terrible times, or that huge numbers of people didn't die, mind. But calling killing people because of the bringing over of diseases, unless you think the colonists intended to kill the natives using science they almost certainly didn't understand, is not genocide, exactly.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 05:19:17 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6860 on: November 25, 2015, 05:14:05 pm »

Yeah, I mean, mass killing is about as old as human civilization. The 20th century just made it big because people started to say that maybe it wasn't such a hot idea at the same time that technology had advanced far enough to make it both practical and relatively feasible to actually intentionally exterminate large populations in a thorough manner.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6861 on: November 25, 2015, 05:15:00 pm »

Hey, guys, can we put YHWH on trial for genociding everything on the planet in the Great Flood*? Just wondering. 99+% of everything on the planet. #NoGodOfMine

* which there is no historical/scientific/etc evidence for unless you are a creation scientist**, and believe that all the layers with fossils were laid down during the flood etc etc.
** not an actual science
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6862 on: November 25, 2015, 05:21:00 pm »

***Actually there was a flood in the right area but not nearly world-covering, so I heard once.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6863 on: November 25, 2015, 05:25:38 pm »

There definetly WAS flooding as the Ice Age ended and some places had it worse than others.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6864 on: November 25, 2015, 06:41:33 pm »

I think what BiggerFish is referencing is that there is geological and archaeological evidence of major floods at Sumerian sites such as Ur, Kish and Shupparak. However, it's not altogether clear if these are even from the same event. There are also a variety of Mesopotamian flood myths which form the basis for the later Hebrew flood myth. Not that surprising, considering that if you live in major flood plains, you're going to get some major damn flooding every so often. Eventually, oral tradition turns that into a prototypical flood myth and later cultures copy it. The Hebrews, being a Semitic people of the more arid Levantine, probably picked up the flood myth in Babylonia and incorporated it into their own oral (and later, written) traditions.

None of that equals "whole world flooded". Though Ben Carson would probably beg to differ.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 06:43:58 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6865 on: November 25, 2015, 07:23:39 pm »

RedKing: There's quite a bit, apparently, that was plagiarized from older polytheistic religions which were considered false, with the serial numbers filed off, but that copying was apparently common practice back then.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6866 on: November 25, 2015, 07:56:29 pm »

I would like to point out that a number of the most prominent voices labelling Trump a fascist lately are themselves conservatives.

Even if he isn't technically fascist, some of the rhetoric coming from him is pretty dang authoritarian. Though it's with a pretty massive dose of the showmanship he puts in.
Business leaders are autocratic by nature. That's just what the business is about.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6867 on: November 25, 2015, 08:11:33 pm »

Shazbot:

Putin's Russia, Communist China, and North Korea control their media as completely as they can, broadcasting propaganda, altering news, showing entirely fake news, suppressing inconvenient news, to indoctrinate their population with the "proper" viewpoint, make them loyal and trusting, to keep them from rising up, and to turn them against the enemies of the State or Party, whoever those may happen to be at the time. Russia goes so far as to fund internet trolls to spam news and twitter and comments with Russian conspiracy theories and pro-Russia nonsense, to ensure that their propaganda extends even into cyberspace.

Have you noticed the similarities between them and your conservative media? The rest of the world has. You think the rest of the world is biased against you. The citizens of Russia think the rest of the world is biased against them. Everyone else in the world thinks you are both being manipulated.

You claim that the "average American doesn't trust the media." Conservative media is part of the media.

Have you considered the possibility that the world is right and you are wrong?

I have always presumed sides are lying through their teeth, but to propose I am categorically wrong and the world is categorically right is a rather impossible, as the world does not agree with itself. The world is also kind of fucked up at the moment. Furthermore everything you're accusing state-run media of doing, line by line, I can think of an example of "non-conservative" media doing the same, old analogue broadcasts included. I mean, even this forum was incredulous over the CNBC debate. So with the latest press drive being "Trump is Hitler", and the quote in question being an agreement to a rather nonspecific "that" after giving his usual wall spiel, why should I trust the media? Any media? Anything? That 'conservative' sources are joining in the Hitler chorus is unsurprising; there are primary candidates flailing for purchase and an establishment willing to do anything to keep the Presidency inside the club. Understand me, I don't like Trump. But to say I'm wrong and the world is right and Trump is reading from some secret Nazi playbook is to say these paranoid delusions and gotcha-question journalistic bullshit are an acceptable standard for the press. Anne frankly I don't think that's reich.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6868 on: November 25, 2015, 08:20:00 pm »

You're still missing the point. This furor (and my comment) wasn't about his immigration banter, it was about his notion of forcing all Muslims in the US (including US citizens) to be listed in some kind of government registry. Germany and the NSDP had a very similar registration requirement for Jews in 1938.

This isn't vague "I don't like Trump, therefore he's Hitler" ad hominem, this is a specific comparison of a policy that was enacted and a policy that Trump has espoused support for.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6869 on: November 25, 2015, 08:41:18 pm »

I've seen the question and answer session in question and the only way you can draw that conclusion is confirming one's own biases. It was literally a screwball question thrown in the signature line after a speech by a faux fan (who happens to be a Hillary backer and former Talking Points Memo writer). Trump redirects to his border control wall spiel, and when asked if he would implement "that", agrees. Presto chango, "that" means armbands and concentration camps. CNN even selectively edits the tape to remove his words about building a wall, so "that" is clearly the registry suggested by the operative.

How do you not see this as bullshit?
Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 1342